Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Good point ! A rifle served him well. How do you think he would have felt with just a handgun ?
If this is the same scenario I know of, I think he would have been been very happy to pull a 357 out of a holster while dancing around a tree with wounded gbear on the other side, instead of trying to jam another shell in his rifle. At 3-4 feet, a pistol would be effective.

I'm a bear spray advocate, but if I was blindsided by a bear and on my back, having the option to pull out a side arm and place it against the bear's head while pulling the trigger would be a nice option.

While horseback on a sheep hunt, I was bluff charged by a young gbear a few years ago and he would have been on me before I could get my gun out of the scabbard, let alone loaded and aimed. One of my friends was charged and knocked down by a bear; he had the rifle in his hands and didn't have time to cycle the action before the bear was on him. In a true charge, there are situations where a handgun would be more effective than a rifle. I'll stick to spray, and will probably never own a restricted gun of any type, but I think that hunters should have the option to carry a side arm.

On that note, I also believe that a flare pistol placed against a bears ribs or head would send him on his way. A pill of burning phosphorus under one's hide would be pretty uncomfortable.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-22-2018, 03:28 PM

I met the guy( Chris McLennan) that killed a Grizzly sow with a knife in 2007 up near Grande Prairie while Bow Hunting. After hearing his account of the incident it appears that anything goes when a real brawl starts. He had literally no chance to do anything defensive starting at about 30 yds before he was on the ground and getting tossed around. Only a long blade in a sheath, sheer determination and personal strength allowed him to tell the story.
Not sure, but I think I know what defensive tool what he might recommend.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:02 PM

I remember when that happened. It was quite a story and rumour had it that she was a grouchy old sow that many people thought would eventually attack someone. That's a story that I would like to hear first hand and it would be interesting to hear his take on gbear defence. I know I've considered switching from a folder to a fixed blade knife based solely on that incident.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-23-2018, 07:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I remember when that happened. It was quite a story and rumour had it that she was a grouchy old sow that many people thought would eventually attack someone. That's a story that I would like to hear first hand and it would be interesting to hear his take on gbear defence. I know I've considered switching from a folder to a fixed blade knife based solely on that incident.
K-bar.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-27-2018, 07:57 PM

Default Bear Defense

In real close cover (range) my preference has always been a 12 gauge pump action shotgun with a short barrel and open sights. Loaded with slugs and/or 00 buck. Packed this shotgun long before bear spray was invented. Also carry bear spray now but have always had supreme confidence in the shotgun.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:40 PM

I picked up military bayonet last year from the Canadian Army at a garage sale for 10 bucks grinded the point and that's what I Carrey now with bear spray

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2018, 02:31 PM

Default Molas euro

Todd Standing packs a pistol when he's searching for big foot, so we should all be big foot researchers. That's the first thing that stood out when I watched his new so called documentary on Netflix. He's packing big iron on his hip.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:54 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whQFL62Z12c
At about 1:26 the game warden talks about how about 50% of the people he sees who try to use a gun still get injured.

They both have pros and cons. The biggest pro for bear spray is you don't need to be accurate. That is especially helpful when you need an extremely quick reaction. For this reason alone I think bear spray is generally more effective. You don't need to hit a vital, you don't even need to hit the bear directly cause it shoots a cloud. The biggest con I think is once you shoot it, the cloud is impossible to control and you will most likely get some on your hands/eyes and it really sucks. I've also come upon an accidental discharge by a guy who was several days of hiking into the back country. He got his tent, sleeping bag and clothes covered so bad he burned his skin trying to stay warm. He had to wash all his gear in a creek and they weren't drying cause it was about 4 degrees and raining. When I came by his camp he was naked, shivering next to a tiny fire in the rain with no shelter. I probably saved his life with my space blanket and tarp... Be very careful with the spray, it might kill you in ways you don't expect.

There was a study done in Alaska from 1985 to 2006. They had 86 incidents involving bear spray on record and there were no injuries in 98% of cases. That's pretty good odds, I know I couldn't draw and hit the vitals of a charging bear 98% of the time without spending a ton of time and money practicing.

With studies done that show those kind of results, I really wouldn't hold my breath for a change in wilderness carry. I would honestly love to strap a revolver on my side when I'm out in the bush. It wouldn't be my first line of defense but having it as a backup or survival tool would be great.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Bear defence ....how about offence....knowing where you are, taking precautions, actually training with spray, shot gun etc....too many people wobble into a sports store, listen to some expert or read about it, strap on a canister or two, buy an alien killer shotty cuz Arnold had one and off they go ....now your on the defence, best just sit around the lunchroom table and talk about "well I would have and could have"

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-25-2018, 10:09 AM

A good discussion, I love these kind of posts. Lots of great info

My tool kit consists of my knife, 2 cans of bear spray and my 12 Ga pump. One can of bear spray lives on my hip the other on my chest, fixed blade knife on my belt, shotgun on the exterior of my pack. A bit excessive for some I know but as a solo bowhunter I view it as layers of insurance.

I consider my spray my first line of defence but the shotty is loaded with 5 slugs for that one "life or death" moment we all hope to never have to go through. I have had two grizz face to face encounters the last 4 years that thankfully ended peacefully but the one time the wind was blowing so hard in my face the bear spray would have gassed me and not the Bear.

With all that, the number one tool I have in my kit is whats between my ears. Situational awareness, patience and experience have saved me from more harm in the bush than any spray or weapon even has or will.

On the handgun issue.....I wouldn't use one if I could, I'm just not proficient enough with one but I firmly believe you should have that choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tool kit.jpg (60.5 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by Evil69; 09-25-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:51 PM

Arrow

I recommend listening to a couple podcast episodes relating to this issue. The first is episode 121 of the Hunt Backcountry Podcast "Grizzly Bear Survival and Defense Tactics", and the second is episode 081 of Hunt Talk Radio with Randy Newberg, "Todd Orr on Grizzly Attacks..."

I found good information in both episodes, although the Randy Newberg episode is more story telling and more ramblings. But still good stuff to listen to.