Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 01:49 PM

Default Hunting rights

Hello everyone, first off this email is not intended to offend ( or try to) anyone

in my opinion its time to restrict hunting rights.

Hunting big game in Alberta should be the same for all races.

Guide lines
-draw system for "everyone"
-no hunting out of season
-price of tags etc same for "everyone"

Hunting regulations should be the same no matter what race you are.

I am tired if seeing the destruction of our game in Alberta by
-over hunting
-to many tags handed out
-poachers
-and special hunting privileges where there should not be.

Time to simply change the rules so they are fair to everyone.

our big game animals need to reproduce and not be taken down when they are pregnant.

to me there is no longer "well its our right" " no its not"

time to protect one of the greatest rights we should all have.. " but it is also time to simply make it fair for all"

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/image...ies/argue2.gif
Old 02-15-2017, 01:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Is this POV based on feelings or science?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-15-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
our big game animals need to reproduce and not be taken down when they are pregnant
Elk are born in May/Jun following a gestation period of 8 1/2 months. So no cow elk hunting from Sep onward? Or is it just a matter of more pregnant vs less pregnant? A dead cow cannot reproduce if it's.............dead.

Wondering what you are advocating here?
Old 02-15-2017, 02:06 PM

I agree 100% with the original post in the sense that there should be the same set of rules for everyone. I too believe the time of certain rights need to be challenged and that for everyone to live in harmony all should abide by the same set of rules.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:11 PM

Default is this not essentially entitlement

If I had special privileges why on earth would I give them up to you. Should you not just stop competing and complaining about what I have that you feel entitled to?? Study basic common law principles, "any right once granted can never be extinguished".
Old 02-15-2017, 02:41 PM

You are bitching about an issue covered by a Federal Goverment mandate, not a Provincial Government mandate.
You are bitching about a subject few politicians(successful ones at least) have any stomach or balls to even think about let alone voice publically about. It's in a nutshell a political no fly zone.

You've got multi national conferences and UN mandates about aboriginal rights.

You're like a salmon swimming against the current.

Let's focus on maybe changing the mindset of non aboriginals about where wildlife fall in the order of importance, let's change the it's only a (insert animal species here) attitude. Let's see wildlife abuse get the same attention and wide spread scorn that impared driving does.

The other subject you're on about is, well it never ends well around these parts.

Wanna go off about rights enshrined before my Gran Dad's days, maybe there's another forum better suited for you.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-15-2017, 02:44 PM

Default my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Is this POV based on feelings or science?
like I stated my opinion
Old 02-15-2017, 02:55 PM

Default I am just playing devils advocate

But your opinion on what should be or could be is not "right" based it is merely an opinion. It has been expressed many times and always leads to the same conclusion the thread is closed. It has been pointed out on many threads that the rights based hunting is has and will be allowed until no one else can hunt and beyond. Those enjoying the privilege of hunting do not get to dictate equality terms to those with a right to hunt.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
If I had special privileges why on earth would I give them up to you. Should you not just stop competing and complaining about what I have that you feel entitled to?? Study basic common law principles, "any right once granted can never be extinguished".

If elk became endangered we are allowed to continue hunting them into extinction? Currently its my right to buy an elk tag. Yikes.
Dont run for office plz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2017, 03:05 PM

Default Rights!!!

I'm not native but why should they change anything for you or anyone else.

That's my opinion just saying.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
If elk became endangered we are allowed to continue hunting them into extinction? Currently its my right to buy an elk tag. Yikes.
Dont run for office plz.
You have a right to buy an elk tag because there is currently a season. If elk become threatened or endangered that seasson would be closed and the only people that could potentially hunt them are those with a federal right to hunt. There are many threads offering this theory as a very real possibility and as it has been pointed out right now each province makes or adjusts game and the seasons within their jurisdiction. If all hunting was shut down within any province the federal government would be required to fund a claim against that province by aboriginal people to continue their traditional rights. As wards of the Queen the federal government is required to ensure their rights are not infringed upon.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:15 PM

My mom and my sister have status cards and I can if I want one as my sister and I have same parents. Just hear me out, hunting by bow and arrow off horse back, or blackpowder sure. Fill your freezers. Keep within tradition, not auger a 400" elk in august off a Toyota truck with a $10,000.00 Huskemaw scope.

I think its more than that what gets to people, not having to pay GST, free schooling post secondary and medical/dental benefits etc.

So I agree with the majority here, we should should all have equal opportunity and pay our taxes and apply for same tags.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:52 PM

then you know what they gave up for not having to pay tax, free schooling and medical dental. think they can renegotiate a better deal and have the government stick to their promise this time or do you think there would be a further discrepancy with one side giving up and the other taking. If you think a fair and equitable solution could be negotiated you have my ear but if you think they should give up more I dont think there is much of a chance of any renegotiation.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:07 PM

Their rights for as long as the sun shines, rivers flow and grass grows.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:28 PM

Unfortunately I can't see anything changing. I do think that changes need to be made. But as was already said; hast happened yet. I'm in Manitoba and the game numbers are in dire straights. Massive amounts of snow and record high poaching. It's sad that I'm researching hunting in the US this coming season. Winter kill is out of our control. But over harvesting animals is not.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
Amen True words .
Old 02-15-2017, 06:53 PM

^ If you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not shining
Old 02-15-2017, 07:28 PM

Default Forum Rules

There have been many threads like this one. Your opinion is valued and you make good points. Discussing indigenous rights on an open forum. Will do nothing other than getting a AO members blood boiling. Voice your opinions with your elected officials/MP/governments. As stated in the forum message board rules "this is not the forum for such discussions"
Old 02-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2269 View Post
Hello everyone, first off this email is not intended to offend ( or try to) anyone

in my opinion its time to restrict hunting rights.

Hunting big game in Alberta should be the same for all races.

Guide lines
-draw system for "everyone"
-no hunting out of season
-price of tags etc same for "everyone"

Hunting regulations should be the same no matter what race you are.

I am tired if seeing the destruction of our game in Alberta by
-over hunting
-to many tags handed out
-poachers
-and special hunting privileges where there should not be.

Time to simply change the rules so they are fair to everyone.

our big game animals need to reproduce and not be taken down when they are pregnant.

to me there is no longer "well its our right" " no its not"

time to protect one of the greatest rights we should all have.. " but it is also time to simply make it fair for all"

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/image...ies/argue2.gif
Hit the search button and you'd find your post is not needed and is redundant. Due to the fact that there is 20 shut down threads all saying what you did. You have over three hundred posts and must just be tired of everything going so smooth here the last few weeks. Its called trolling
Old 02-15-2017, 07:30 PM

I agree with the First Nations being able to hunt to follow in their heritage but believe it should be done in the traditional way. And species like caribou should not be hunt able.

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 02-15-2017, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux 1876 View Post
There have been many threads like this one. Your opinion is valued and you make good points. Discussing indigenous rights on an open forum. Will do nothing other than getting a AO members blood boiling. Voice your opinions with your elected officials/MP/governments. As stated in the forum message board rules "this is not the forum for such discussions"
Nicely said
Old 02-15-2017, 08:39 PM

Any more ranting one way or the other, the thread will go away, it won't be locked, and the members responsible will be infracted or suspended.
Cat
Old 02-15-2017, 08:45 PM

If I stated my post was just my opinion would it still be up?
Old 02-15-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpappy View Post
If I stated my post was just my opinion would it still be up?
Not if you left the post like it was
Cat
Old 02-15-2017, 08:52 PM

O.k. Then, it's definitely the off season. The usual yearly threads are popping up.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Any more ranting one way or the other, the thread will go away, it won't be locked, and the members responsible will be infracted or suspended.
Cat
There shouldn't be any reason why we can't discuss topics like this openly and reasonably. I don't think anyone is being discriminatory by wanting to talk about this. If someone is then absolutely shut it down. But hearing everyone's opinions as long and their respectful shouldn't get shut down. That's my opinion.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
Can anyone actually show me where this is written in any of the treaties covering Alberta?
Old 02-16-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
There shouldn't be any reason why we can't discuss topics like this openly and reasonably. I don't think anyone is being discriminatory by wanting to talk about this. If someone is then absolutely shut it down. But hearing everyone's opinions as long and their respectful shouldn't get shut down. That's my opinion.
Being respectful is the key- past history proves it never starts that way
Cat
Old 02-16-2017, 09:48 AM

Default There are many reason big game is in trouble

Some cases it is loss of habitat and in some it is just too easy to access them.
My family lived in North Bay and often hunted and fished in the little Jocko area east on Highway 63 about 30 miles. When we got to the Jocko it was a further 2 hours to pick our way in on logging trails and pathways in 4 wheel drive and sometimes even winch for about 10 miles. I was back in the area 3 years ago and the gravel roads leading into all areas of Jocko are like a gravel highway so you can travel 100 km an hour on if you want. Giving unlimited year round access to prime hunting and fishing areas often depletes the supply rather quickly or they move to less traveled areas.
In addition to access we often see a call for only primitive weapons but realistically every civilization from Marco Polo through to King Henry had archers and horseback hunting so if we restrict those Huskamaw scopes should it not be for everyone regardless of nationality to make harvesting more challenging.
Some jurisdictions have moved to a tag system that promotes young of the year hunting only since they have the highest mortality rates anyways. When my grandfather hunted moose in Northern Ontario he avoided the crowded season and always took a calf moose in July since the meat was better. Is killing off the breeding stock on bulls/bucks and cows/does not affecting big games ability to reproduce as well.
So many variables at play here that only focusing on one user group and issue makes no sense.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:58 AM

All rights or privileges aside, the simple fact is that nobody can manage our wildlife properly, if only part of our population is regulated. I have heard several people openly state, that they would watch our game populations become extinct, before they would willingly give up any of their hinting rights, and with that attitude, it is only a matter of time before there is no game for anyone to hunt.