Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-24-2017, 03:09 PM

Default FEBRUARY 19th 2017 KINSMEN ICE FISHING DERBY GULL LAKE

Hi All,

I just wanted to get the word out the Red Deer Kinsmen are hosting a family fishing derby on February 19th 2017 at Brownlows Landing, Gull Lake. You can pre-register at the Sportsmen Den or Eastview IGA in Red Deer. I attached the poster to this thread. Please share!

There's more information on the Red Deer Kinsmen Facebook Page.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fishing Derby.jpg (26.3 KB, 344 views)
Old 01-24-2017, 05:08 PM
Banned

I'm not trying to be pessimistic about this or any other fishing derby. I think that it's great that there have been some fishing derby,s started lately. Years ago there were a number of derbies that a person could participate in, and they were great fun.
My question about this derby is where on the poster does it show the license or permit # that organizer's usually have to obtain to run a derby like this, especially since there is a cash entry fee?
I'll admit that I am stuck using my phone lately due to a back injury so perhaps I just don't see the license in the small print. Anyways, I hope it's all on the up and up and there is a good turnout. I might even drive down for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I'm not trying to be pessimistic about this or any other fishing derby. I think that it's great that there have been some fishing derby,s started lately. Years ago there were a number of derbies that a person could participate in, and they were great fun.
My question about this derby is where on the poster does it show the license or permit # that organizer's usually have to obtain to run a derby like this, especially since there is a cash entry fee?
I'll admit that I am stuck using my phone lately due to a back injury so perhaps I just don't see the license in the small print. Anyways, I hope it's all on the up and up and there is a good turnout. I might even drive down for the day.

I have to agree with your rational waterninja... as sportsmen and sportswomen we have to be careful on what we support. Thanks for bringing this potential issue to light!!
Old 01-24-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:

There is a Fishing Event license # towards the bottom left of page.

The Red Deer Kinsmen Facebook Page shows it in larger form
Old 01-24-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloughsharkjigger View Post
I have to agree with your rational waterninja... as sportsmen and sportswomen we have to be careful on what we support. Thanks for bringing this potential issue to light!!
Lol - gotta watch out for those Red Deer Kinsman!
Old 01-25-2017, 02:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Lol - gotta watch out for those Red Deer Kinsman!

I'm sure the RedDeer Kinsmen are a fine organization and I hope they have great weather and a great turnout.
I only mentioned my concern because I remember some less then perfect derbies from the past.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:37 PM

Hi Waterninja,

Our Fishing Event Licence number is 5587545 CFE and it is on the poster near the bottom left corner. All proceeds from any of our fundraisers are donated back to Central Alberta community programs. Our intent for the fishing derby is to have a family friendly fishing event that's fun for the whole family and to raise a bit of money to be donated back to the community.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:28 PM

Just got the day off work so I can be a part of this. Very excited. Bringing a crew of about 4 of us out to take part. Hope the weather is stellar!!
Old 01-25-2017, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezmerize View Post
Hi Waterninja,

Our Fishing Event Licence number is 5587545 CFE and it is on the poster near the bottom left corner. All proceeds from any of our fundraisers are donated back to Central Alberta community programs. Our intent for the fishing derby is to have a family friendly fishing event that's fun for the whole family and to raise a bit of money to be donated back to the community.
Hello Mesmerize. It was never my intention to smear the good name of your organization, or to denigrate the good work that your club does. I was only giving a friendly heads up to any AO members to do a little research before sending money. This is a new tourney (to me anyways), from a very new member.
I really miss the tourney's we use to have all over AB in the 80's and 90's. Even though you will be facing a lot of competition from other activities that occur on that free fishing weekend for all Albertan's, I really hope you have a good turnout and try to make this an annual affair.
With the thought of this tourney become an annual event, i would be happy to donate a door/raffle prize that will be worth aprox. 50.00. I invite any other member to donate whatever they could to help make this family fishing fun derby a success.
Personally,I was planning on bringing my grandson to his first fun derby at a closer location that has been hosted for years by another great organization but nothing wrong with trying to help you guys further south with yours.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:32 PM

Really odd that there would be two fishing derbies that same day that are just miles apart. Would have been good to co-ordinate other weekends. The other derby seems like it could be a big event too. Not trying to take away from the Gull lake derby, just mentioning. The other derby is at Pine lake.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-26-2017, 10:00 AM

It's because it's the family day weekend, which is family fishing weekend, so licenses aren't required. That's why everyone wants it that weekend.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:27 PM

Exactly this way not a million people at one place like most years this way plenty of great options.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Hello Mesmerize. It was never my intention to smear the good name of your organization, or to denigrate the good work that your club does. I was only giving a friendly heads up to any AO members to do a little research before sending money. This is a new tourney (to me anyways), from a very new member.
I really miss the tourney's we use to have all over AB in the 80's and 90's. Even though you will be facing a lot of competition from other activities that occur on that free fishing weekend for all Albertan's, I really hope you have a good turnout and try to make this an annual affair.
With the thought of this tourney become an annual event, i would be happy to donate a door/raffle prize that will be worth aprox. 50.00. I invite any other member to donate whatever they could to help make this family fishing fun derby a success.
Personally,I was planning on bringing my grandson to his first fun derby at a closer location that has been hosted for years by another great organization but nothing wrong with trying to help you guys further south with yours.
Hi Waterninja,

I know that is not your intent and people do need to watch who they give their hard earned money to these days. I've fished in a lot of derby's around Central Alberta and I find a handful of them are poorly organized, the prizes are terrible and it's never clear where the proceeds are going so we are trying hard to organize a good derby that hopefully turns in to an annual event. We would appreciate any prize donations from you or any other AO members. In exchange for a prize donation you will be recognized on our Facebook page and at the derby.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:40 PM

I think this is a great idea and wish the Red Deer Kinsmen all the best. The Kinsmen and Kinnettes are fantastic groups that support many needy groups throughout Canada.
I wished there was a lot less skepticism and a lot more support on this forum of such groups. Members should do a little research before they jump on posters like the O.P.
Good Luck Mezmerize!!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:26 PM

Bumping this thread in support of an organization that's supports needy causes throughout Canada
Old 02-16-2017, 04:50 PM

Default Taber Area

Anyone from the south(Taber) interested in going. Split the fuel in my truck and we'll go Sunday morning.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:07 AM

Guy at Sportsman's Den said pre-registrations were hot and heavy yesterday when I went in to do 3. Should be a good turnout. A couple young guys were even going to pre-fish Gull this week ha ha. Should be a blast tomorrow!