Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Not to change the post, I am considering Dodge 1/2 ton with small turbo diesel, anyone got any experience pulling 26 foot bumper with one. I like 8 liter /100km highway.
I'd say you'd be close to running out of truck with a trailer that big.

Bumper pull or 5th wheel ??

That particular truck you mention probably only has a payload of around 1200 lbs - add 4 people and a few items in the box and you're nearly out of payload.

You haven't even hooked up a trailer at that point.

Just do your homework before purchasing.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:41 PM

We keep beating this same drum over and over and a lot of people do not understand payload on these trucks. Just because they advertise the can tow 10k lbs like I just saw on tv they dont mention that you better weigh 150 lbs and nobody or anything in the truck when pulling. Ideal pin weight on bumper pull is min 10% of trailer 12% plus more ideal. A lot of people pulling a 5k trailer dont realize that size of trailer will put 800 lbs or more weight on the truck. Now add passengers gear dogs etc and easy to get way over. Check your numbers before purchasing and know where you really stand. Most trucks run out of payload long before what ťhey can pull.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:50 AM

It seems that small turbo diesels have lots of torque and well capable of pulling most trailers with good mileage, but 1/2 ton truck to lite for load. Do the BC road police like to stop you and look at your GVW, I know they did not like large campers on them. It looks like 2500's only option for trailers regardless if gas or diesel.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
It seems that small turbo diesels have lots of torque and well capable of pulling most trailers with good mileage, but 1/2 ton truck to lite for load. Do the BC road police like to stop you and look at your GVW, I know they did not like large campers on them. It looks like 2500's only option for trailers regardless if gas or diesel.
I can not confirm what numbers they look at, but I've heard it's every number. As in GVW, GVCW, axle ratings, tire ratings, and you must be under all. They tend to know what to look for, as in, quad in the 1/2 ton box, towing a holiday trailer = more than likely overweight. 1/2ton with a 5er, good chance it's over.
It all started back about 10-15 years ago, when everyone and their dog would put a sled deck (and two sleds) on their 1/2ton, add air bags, and go to BC.

But i have on many occasions (at least a dozen) seen a cruiser with a holiday trailer pulled over and the portable weigh scales in use.

Oh, and make sure EVERYTHING is working on your trailer, as in every exterior bulb, and trailer brakes are working. They literally check EVERYTHING. And all infractions are a fix it now (in this exact spot), or it gets left on the side of the road, and you have to figure out a legal way to get the stuff home. Friend of mine went thru a vehicle inspection checkstop on a long weekend, they found a tail light bulb out, he had to leave the trailer there, drive back into town (~30mins), and get a bulb.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Hey folks just looking for a little input...got rid of my motor home recently and am in the market for a 24 to 30 ft holiday trailer. I have owned 2500 hd chev and gm trucks religiously have had great luck with them, however I haven't used them for much pulling besides small utility trailers. Just wondering what the general public would rate such a truck for pulling a trailer. Any tranny upgrades or tips for a guy. I got the 4:10 gears in the truck I think it should pull fine.thanks.
Mine is a 2001 Chev 2500HD, and it does the job nicely.... I pull a 25' "bumper pull".

3/4 ton or bigger IMO .... You need the heavier suspension/axle/spindles etc.

As for gas consumption, the bigger the truck and tow load the more fuel you burn...it is a soft cost if that is what you enjoy.....

Now you don't have to be doing 120kms up every hill....haha

Enjoy and drive safe....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
. It looks like 2500's only option for trailers regardless if gas or diesel.
To answer this question more specifically. NO, 2500's are not the only option, in fact you're better off paying for the 3500, as resale is better.

If you are buying a used 2500 diesel (pre-2007ish), check the weights very carefully. ALOT of the crew cab 4x4 diesel 2500's do not have very much payload, in some cases less than a 1/2t.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
To answer this question more specifically. NO, 2500's are not the only option, in fact you're better off paying for the 3500, as resale is better.

If you are buying a used 2500 diesel (pre-2007ish), check the weights very carefully. ALOT of the crew cab 4x4 diesel 2500's do not have very much payload, in some cases less than a 1/2t.
Yep never understood why people would buy a 250/2500 over a 350/3500. They ride the same but one has a higher payload rating. I don’t think the price difference is that significant either. Where I’m at in Montana it’s actually cheaper to find a used 1 ton then a 3/4 ton (at least from when I’ve searched). The trick is finding a truck that’s a truck not the Denali longhorn king ranch platinum trucks. Doesn’t seem like many people want a relatively basic truck anymore.