Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 05:44 PM

Default IKO shingles

Anyone aware or have a claim with IKO regarding their roof shingles.
They had a bad batch back in early 2000 and the product has had some failure.
I purchased a 30yr shingle back in 05 from HD and hired a roofer to do the work.
Several years ago I noticed the shingles were quite curled up and lots of the ash fault was gone leaving exposed felt.
I placed a call to IKO up in Edmonton, leaving a message but never heard back.
I never really followed up on it.
My BIL manages a roofing co and at dinner the other night mentioned that IKO has a class action law suit against them
It went to court last May and I believe 7.5 m was set up for compensation.
It covers a whole bunch of series of shingles and I believe my product is on the list.
I registered my claim the other night and am interested in how it plays out.
Anyone else in the same boat & settled their claim?
Old 03-22-2018, 06:17 PM

I had the 25 year and I got 16 out of them. Started the process of claiming but was told my chances were slim so I backed off. I will never buy IKO again. Absolute garbage.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:16 PM
Banned

Had the 30 year shingles installed in '96...still look like they have a few years in them at least so I'm not complaining as of now.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:37 PM

Newellnick on the forum knows all about this.

Dodger.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:46 PM

My 30's lasted 12. And that was pushing it the last 2 years. 2005 to 2017.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:46 AM

Im a roofer, iko is well known for not paying out warranty. At best they’ll drop a half pallet or watever of new shingles for you to put on. Itll be a long and slow battle, my advice is get a new roof before this one starts leaking and just move on. The time your gonna spend fighting them for a few $100 isnt worth it in my mind.

I recommend malarkey shingles legacy or vista or BP just upgraded there mystiques.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:48 AM

Are they the iko renaissance shingles by chance?
Old 03-23-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
I had the 25 year and I got 16 out of them. Started the process of claiming but was told my chances were slim so I backed off. I will never buy IKO again. Absolute garbage.
I had the same issue with IKO (got only 11 years out of a new roof installed in 2005), sent some info to OP via email/PM.

Registered for Class Action - results to date, NADA. Did everything that they said (pictures of roof before, pictures of shingles after removal, old shingle samples, original invoice, etc., ad nauseum) but absolutely no response from IKO. When I called to register with IKO after registering with the law firm handling the Class Action, the guy I spoke to was a total p***k, rude/abusive, etc. Just made me madder, and while I'm determined to proceed with this to a conclusion I'm sure the delaying tactics are meant to discourage any legitimate claims and it sure seems to work.

Sidenote: I replaced the IKO cr@p with BP shingles, which had very good reviews on the actual product.

O.N.G.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyOJ View Post
Are they the iko renaissance shingles by chance?
I believe mine are.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNewGuy View Post
I had the same issue with IKO (got only 11 years out of a new roof installed in 2005), sent some info to OP via email/PM.

Registered for Class Action - results to date, NADA. Did everything that they said (pictures of roof before, pictures of shingles after removal, old shingle samples, original invoice, etc., ad nauseum) but absolutely no response from IKO. When I called to register with IKO after registering with the law firm handling the Class Action, the guy I spoke to was a total p***k, rude/abusive, etc. Just made me madder, and while I'm determined to proceed with this to a conclusion I'm sure the delaying tactics are meant to discourage any legitimate claims and it sure seems to work.

Sidenote: I replaced the IKO cr@p with BP shingles, which had very good reviews on the actual product.

O.N.G.
I think BP has gone through a similar case as IKO.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
I think BP has gone through a similar case as IKO.
Yes, from what I heard most of the shingle manufacturers in Canada have done so - IKO seems to have been the first to "cost down" the product by using non-traditional cores and the rest followed so that they wouldn't get beat out in the market. It seems (anecdotal evidence only) that BP responded more quickly to the problems.

And product reviews, as mentioned by the member who's a roofer further up the thread, seem to be pretty good for their current line.

Frankly - roofing material (to clarify, NOT the installation aspect) seems to be a black hole where a lot of money can be made since those outside the industry don't know much about the product/process. IKO is closely aligned with at least one other manufacturer, I've heard that it is part of the same family group, with one outfit building for the other when needed.

O.N.G.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:08 AM

They are all trash now. I have a 4/12 pitch and can’t get 10 yrs out of them now the first originals last 25 yrs. that’s why they do not use 4/12 pitch any more
Old 03-23-2018, 12:08 PM

Holy coincidence Batman!!!! Same here! IKO, built house in 2005, last few years the front garage area is curling bad.

Thanks for the advice on the class action - I will definitely look further into this and other alternatives.

J.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Holy coincidence Batman!!!! Same here! IKO, built house in 2005, last few years the front garage area is curling bad.

Thanks for the advice on the class action - I will definitely look further into this and other alternatives.

J.
Just curious on what colors you guys use. Darker colors don’t last even close to lighter colors.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 03-23-2018, 12:33 PM

Default iko shingles

Iko are not the only crap shingles out there. Use steel or tile, anything but asphalt. Since oil got expensive they use less and most of the stone ands up in the gutters.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleflyfisher View Post
Anyone aware or have a claim with IKO regarding their roof shingles.
They had a bad batch back in early 2000 and the product has had some failure.
I purchased a 30yr shingle back in 05 from HD and hired a roofer to do the work.
Several years ago I noticed the shingles were quite curled up and lots of the ash fault was gone leaving exposed felt.
I placed a call to IKO up in Edmonton, leaving a message but never heard back.
I never really followed up on it.
My BIL manages a roofing co and at dinner the other night mentioned that IKO has a class action law suit against them
It went to court last May and I believe 7.5 m was set up for compensation.
It covers a whole bunch of series of shingles and I believe my product is on the list.
I registered my claim the other night and am interested in how it plays out.
Anyone else in the same boat & settled their claim?
Think BP had a similar issue. Asphalt shingles are crap these days, the new three tab especially. The underlayment industry was invented to compensate for that.

Grizz