Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 01:18 PM

Default Foreign powers and money influencing Canadian Economy to the detriment of Canadians

There is more and more focus on this in light of the meddling Russia is having on elections and public opinion in other countries. The loss of tax revenue is huge for Albertans. Be aware and pass along these facts to others. Talk about it at the water cooler.

http://business.financialpost.com/op...no-good-reason

Canadians are realizing foreign groups sabotaged our energy economy — for no good reason

Former B.C. justice minister says the reality is more people in the province support Trans Mountain pipeline than oppose it

Is the pipeline debate starting to resolve in favour of pipelines being built and in favour of Canadians receiving full value for our energy exports? I believe it is, in part due to the realization as to just how much of the anti-pipeline campaign is foreign funded. More about that funding in a moment, but there’s a new reason for finding the blatant U.S.-based interference in Canadian energy policy particularly egregious.

The U.S. organization, 350.org, loves spouting opinions about Canadian energy. Its founder and most vocal spokesperson, Bill McKibben, seems to believe we need a lot of his help in deciding how we here in Canada should manage our affairs. He unsurprisingly celebrates Canadian pipeline opposition. But what should concern all Canadians is 350.org celebrating that it helps get Canadian young people arrested. Here’s a boast from its 2016 annual report: “1,000 people were trained in civil disobedience practices, and 99 youths were arrested in Ottawa protesting the pipeline.”

Canadian teenagers are encouraged by foreign organizations to get arrested in support of foreign interests

Arrest is no laughing matter. Perhaps few if any of the arrests led to charges, but there is no guarantee of that. Criminal convictions can carry lifelong consequences. As a parent, I would have been horrified to think that my teenage children were being encouraged by foreign organizations to get themselves arrested in support of foreign campaigns to suit foreign interests.

And how significant is that foreign interest? The question is now much more in the public debate, due to work by journalists such as the Financial Post’s Claudia Cattaneo; politicians such as Ellis Ross, formerly chief councillor of the Haisla Nation and now a Liberal MLA; researchers such as Vivian Krause; and information organizations such as Resource Works.

After all, pipelines are turned down not because no one knows how to build them, and not even because they don’t get approved, but because of well-funded and highly-active political opposition.

The U.S.-based Tides Foundation, for example, directs funds to Canadian organizations such as Dogwood Initiative and Leadnow, both of whom featured prominently in the anti-pipeline protest on March 10th in Burnaby, and both of whom take an active role in B.C. elections, aiming to get pro-energy politicians out of office and anti-pipeline politicians elected.

Whose money is it that Tides pays out? And whose interests does it serve? What donor requests are being satisfied? This of course is the great unknown. Over the last few years Tides has granted $40 million to 100 Canadian anti-pipeline organizations who, in return, have done a fine job of constraining the Canadian economy and saving money for American buyers of Canadian oil.

The activists have two main goals. They’d like to keep Canadian oil in the ground and, alternatively, they want to keep Canadian oil landlocked. Because we can’t reach overseas markets, our landlocked oil is sold at a huge discount to customers in the U.S. Scotiabank economists estimate that the current cost to the Canadian economy is $15.6 billion a year. We may as well write a cheque today “to our friends in the U.S.” for $43 million. And do it again tomorrow. And the next day. And every day after that. What an incredible campaign. No less oil consumed, but the Canadian economy suffers massive losses.

The cancellation of the Energy East pipeline last year, forced by public opposition, was particularly counterproductive. Instead of using Alberta oil, produced under the world’s most stringent environmental protections and supporting Canadian jobs, eastern Canadian refineries will continue having to buy oil from countries such as Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Azerbaijan and, yes, the U.S.

The media and the public are becoming increasingly aware of the foreign-funding issue. More people in B.C. support the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion than oppose it. I believe the tide is turning. I hope so. Because up until now, the campaign against Canadian energy has been a tremendous success. As producers around the world are upping their production, we in Canada have been watching revenue from Canadian oil flow out of the country, with a massive cost to our economy. It’s a terrible loss.

Suzanne Anton is the former attorney general and minister of justice for British Columbia.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-21-2018, 02:23 PM
Banned

Agenda 2030 : Translated.

Canada is about to over the wier.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I90ka-Br5CQ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0676.jpg (51.3 KB, 71 views)
Old 03-21-2018, 02:36 PM

It's probably the Russians.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:33 PM

Everyone's swallowing someone's story and agenda. I like to stay very aware of whose I'm swallowing.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:44 PM

There is enough proof to say that those that are paying to alter our resource industry have ulterior motives.

US wants to keep the oil in the ground longer for their future opportunity to buy. Also want to keep prices down to make more money on their end.

Saudi wants to keep production down so commodity price stays high.

They have found those two are the biggest funders and that they circumvent being obvious by using middle man companies like Tides.

They fund activists out of the US to protest. They fund activity groups. Pay indigenous people to be pawn figureheads.

Scary stuff if you consider this is an economy worth 9% to Canada's GDP.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-21-2018, 04:52 PM

Actually, back in the early days of the Alberta oil industry, the industry looked to the British companies,based in the East, for financing. they weren't interested, so they turned to the Americans who were more than happy to get involved.

Grizz
Old 03-21-2018, 05:08 PM

I've been asking this question for years... how come the consumer, (U.S.) gets to set the price for the product they're buying? That's like me going to superstore and telling the manager that his steaks are too expensive! I'm not paying $20/lb, I'll pay $15/lb. And when the manager complains about that, then I convince him that my $15 is worth $20 of his anyway!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
I've been asking this question for years... how come the consumer, (U.S.) gets to set the price for the product they're buying? That's like me going to superstore and telling the manager that his steaks are too expensive! I'm not paying $20/lb, I'll pay $15/lb. And when the manager complains about that, then I convince him that my $15 is worth $20 of his anyway!
The US gets to set the price because we have no one else to sell it too, and they know it.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
We have more oil to sell than we have take away capacity and only one buyer to take it.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:15 AM

Correct, we are giving Western Canadian Select a good quality blend of heavy and light Alberta oil to American Refineries at half price sale of $30/bbl. Them Americans then only pay 60 cents a liter for their gas. Always wondered why we have around 50,000 Americans living in Calgary that voted in last US election.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:32 PM

https://news.google.com/news/amp?cau...079#pt0-203288

Apparently BC’s economy and production of carbon dioxide generating fossil fuels is ok if needed for them.

Hmmm
Old 03-22-2018, 06:40 PM

My question would be..... who buys this bitumin if we did ship it internationally? Most of asia and europe runs on light oil. Bitumin is bitumin, it sellls at a discount because it is garbage 'oil' to refine, you essentially have to turn it into oil then refine it.

The market access needs to expand but if anyone thinks we will be getting the premium price for oil they are kidding themselves. Brent crude which is that 66$ oil is light sweet crude. Bitumin is heavy and sour not 66$ crude.

I dont like how people just oppose everthing, kinder morgan is a premium operator and it makes sense to use a corridor thats already established.

People also have to face reality....most people use plastics fuel and toilet paper, most everyone eats and uses disposes of water. The grand standing gets alittle old.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:02 AM

79Ford, if you Partial Upgrade bitumen, remove most of asphaltenes, TAN, metals,sulphur and nitrogen, it is a very good quality oil. It will produce high volumes of gas, diesel and jet fuel. It should not be discounted, just so American refineries can buy cheap feed for their refineries.
Lastly around 80% of remaining oil in world is heavy oil so everybody better start to configure their refinery to handle it as feed.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:36 PM

I've been saying this for years and everyone laughs at me.
American special interest groups like y2y are controlling Canadian politics.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
79Ford, if you Partial Upgrade bitumen, remove most of asphaltenes, TAN, metals,sulphur and nitrogen, it is a very good quality oil. It will produce high volumes of gas, diesel and jet fuel. It should not be discounted, just so American refineries can buy cheap feed for their refineries.
Lastly around 80% of remaining oil in world is heavy oil so everybody better start to configure their refinery to handle it as feed.
That is the idea behind parrafinic froth treatment....currently only active at kearl lake and fort hills. Refiners running it as replacement for light oil volumes is still in the early stages, like a light oil refinery trying to gobble it up vs running it through heavy oil processing trains to see what comes of it.

The further it gets shipped the cheaper it becomes. The oil would still have to be cheap enough to compete with heavy oils from the middle east when you factor in shipping.

Canada lacks pretty much any sort of energy strategy....

Mind you if ottawa came out and built a pipeline to the east ten years ago albertans would probably get mad about the fact they are having to ship oil to ontario and new brunswick, probably complain about the cost of the project.

It took until the bitumin bubble to happened in the 2010-2013 period for companies to start proposing new pipelines and by that time us shale had taken off like a rocket which hammered oil into the ground the next year.

Us shale is back to rocketing higher again so this is probably the only window of opportunity to get something done before prices crater again....prices are really only 65$ per barrel because opec and russia have peeled 2 million barrels from the daily market. If they slammed that back into the market oil would be back at 30$ and lousy bitumin couldnt be given away internationally.