Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-12-2018, 12:28 PM

Default How to manage keyless entry with shuttle service

Any tips on how to go about providing access to a keyless vehicle? 1 key fob with a metal access key inside, battery powered. I suppose I could take the back-up key out, leave the fob and have the shuttle remove the fob battery before locking the car at take-out?

Any ideas/thoughts/experiences appreciated.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouthype View Post
Any tips on how to go about providing access to a keyless vehicle? 1 key fob with a metal access key inside, battery powered. I suppose I could take the back-up key out, leave the fob and have the shuttle remove the fob battery before locking the car at take-out?

Why would you not just leave the fob, when people leave cars without keyless entry they just give the keys, I feel like I am missing something??
Old 03-12-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Why would you not just leave the fob, when people leave cars without keyless entry they just give the keys, I feel like I am missing something??
Issue is that the vehicle wont lock with the fob inside. Removing the battery works, just wondering if anyone has a cleaner solution.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:10 PM

Not to derail, but with looking into things regarding insurance and shuttle services on another matter...

Be sure to add (each) shuttle driver (as casual drivers) to your personal auto policy! Most (if not all) personal auto policies will NOT cover you (Nor will the Shuttle company's insurance) if another driver (shuttle driver) gets into an accident driving your vehicle (even with your permission). If not, you will pay out of pocket!

-Confucius
Old 03-13-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Not to derail, but with looking into things regarding insurance and shuttle services on another matter...

Be sure to add (each) shuttle driver (as casual drivers) to your personal auto policy! Most (if not all) personal auto policies will NOT cover you (Nor will the Shuttle company's insurance) if another driver (shuttle driver) gets into an accident driving your vehicle (even with your permission). If not, you will pay out of pocket!
Ummmm no. Shuttle company would have an Garage Policy that covers vehicles they are in the Care, Custody, And Control of.

No different than leaving your vehicle at a repair shop or dealership.

You definitely do not have to add there drivers to your personal lines policy.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:47 PM

Default Key Fob

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouthype View Post

It sounds like I have the same make of vehicle as you & have found what was the easiest just leave an extra fob with the shuttle co, but I use the same co. All year multiple times.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:04 PM

Default Keyless entry

A friend of mine has a keyless entry

He has a Nissan

There was something in the manual that he change in the car that allowed a code to unlock vehicle and he agave a fob to shuttle company that could only start car i believe. I will ask him again and let u know.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:01 PM

Keep the fob with you, give the shuttle driver the key. Leave the key in the vehicle (hidden) and have the shuttle guy hit the door lock button on the way out. Works with my GMC Sierra. Ooops, just saw the part about being a keyless vehicle.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:55 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions/ideas! The keyless start definitely makes it tricky. Thinking the battery removal at the pull-out point may be the best option so far, aside from purchasing a second FOB.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:27 PM

The shuttle service that I use in Calgary has taken the valet key from my second fob and keeps it for the summer. All I do is keep my fob with me and lock it with the fob (not the door button, because it wont) and then keep my original key with me. The service is able to unlock the drivers door with the valet key and the fob is inside to start.
Locks the door with the valet key and I pick up my car at the end of the trip.

Car is locked, all items are safe and I haven't had an issue in 5 years.