Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 05:52 PM

Default Turkey hunting in BC 2018

Heads up if you are planning to hunt turkey in BC in 2018.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...unting/hunting

"New Non-Resident Licence Types Starting in 2018/19

The Province of B.C. will introduce restricted and unrestricted non-resident/non-resident alien hunting licences starting in hunting licence year 2018/19. You must complete hunter safety training to be eligible to apply for an unrestricted licence and hunt small game unaccompanied. This new policy is in effect on March 1, 2018, affecting presales."

Welcome to the land of the greens and the dippers. And BC residents, you will not be far behind as for being under the thumb of the anti's.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post

The Province of B.C. will introduce restricted and unrestricted non-resident/non-resident alien hunting licences starting in hunting licence year 2018/19. You must complete hunter safety training to be eligible to apply for an unrestricted licence and hunt small game unaccompanied. This new policy is in effect on March 1, 2018, affecting presales."

Welcome to the land of the greens and the dippers. And BC residents, you will not be far behind as for being under the thumb of the anti's.
When I moved here from Alberta I had to show proof of Hunter training to be able to get my license, hasn't it always been this way?
Old 03-20-2018, 07:40 PM

hmmmmmmmmmm. I had hunter safety training 47 years ago in Ontario. No way I can produce a certificate.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:42 PM

Am I to assume that possession of an Alberta Hunting License might be accepted as proof of completing 'hunting safety training', when an Albertan applies for a non-resident, BC small game (turkey), unaccompanied hunting license?
Old 03-20-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Am I to assume that possession of an Alberta Hunting License might be accepted as proof of completing 'hunting safety training', when an Albertan applies for a non-resident, BC small game (turkey), unaccompanied hunting license?
No, its a well known fact that many have lied to get a hunting license, either with resident status or, and hunter education courses. The wheels are kind of falling off the system from abuses and over demand. I can see many of these opportunities becoming a thing of the past as localized populations peak and valley. I say that for many provinces.
If a person really wants to hunt more/often best take up waterfowl..... a totally under-utilized resource.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 03-21-2018, 11:03 AM

I see it as just more barriers being put up to non-residents, in support of BC tribalism.
I've enjoyed spring turkey hunts in BC because it's a great time to be afield, just as the last snow melts, things are greening up, and my home in the Rockies is still locked in winter!
Old 03-21-2018, 12:56 PM

Called service BC lots of confusion here. Stand by still looking in to this as I wanted to go myself and can't find my NS certificate from 1979 (had it when I first moved to Alberta - #$%^&*(&^%$%^).

Alba gu brath!
Old 03-21-2018, 08:09 PM

Default brought to you by the ndp

They don't respect an out of province certification. It's another money grab, $78 + gst + pst plus time. Adding layers of bureaucracy is a specialty of the dippers. We should know with Notley.

So to summarize
1. PAL certification for gun safety
2. Hunting license certification for "safety"
3. BC certification for ????

https://www.huntercourse.com/canada/britishcolumbia/

So clearly anti-hunter to discourage hunting. I think if they could get away with banning hunting they would, and in time, they will.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
They don't respect an out of province certification. It's another money grab, $78 + gst + pst plus time. Adding layers of bureaucracy is a specialty of the dippers. We should know with Notley.

So to summarize
1. PAL certification for gun safety
2. Hunting license certification for "safety"
3. BC certification for ????

https://www.huntercourse.com/canada/britishcolumbia/

So clearly anti-hunter to discourage hunting. I think if they could get away with banning hunting they would, and in time, they will.
What makes you so sure that you have to have the BC hunter safety course ,
The hunter safety course is the same basicly across Canada now , some provinces cost more ,

I think they will except it from any province , as long as it is the hunter safety course,
I think anyone with a PAL should be allowed as it's allot more about safety then the hunter course
Old 03-22-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
hmmmmmmmmmm. I had hunter safety training 47 years ago in Ontario. No way I can produce a certificate.
call the MNR and find out. i did mine in 2001 and they had it on file. i had to prove hunter safety course when i went hunting in Maui
Old 03-22-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch_m View Post
What makes you so sure that you have to have the BC hunter safety course ,
The hunter safety course is the same basicly across Canada now , some provinces cost more ,

I think they will except it from any province , as long as it is the hunter safety course,
I think anyone with a PAL should be allowed as it's allot more about safety then the hunter course
Yes the PAL should be enough if this was a rational group we are dealing with but...

Had the phone calls this week and was told that the don't accept out of province certification. Only theirs counts. They are very "special".
Old 03-22-2018, 06:55 AM

Shame on BC for requiring hunters to have completed a hunter training course..... If I want to drive in another province I still have to show a drivers license, which is proof of a drivers test.

When I moved to BC from AB I had to show proof of a hunter education course, my WIN card wasn't proof. It was easier to challenge the test than it would have been to find my old certificate. It's easy to get a WIN card in AB without ever taking a hunter education course.

A PAL has nothing to do with wildlife and species identification, so more should definitely be required.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Better success rate hunting turkeys at the grocery store, they gather all frozen and ready to go....sad as regs tighten up to the point it is not fun anymore but hey still gonna go out...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-23-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koothunter View Post
Shame on BC for requiring hunters to have completed a hunter training course..... If I want to drive in another province I still have to show a drivers license, which is proof of a drivers test.

When I moved to BC from AB I had to show proof of a hunter education course, my WIN card wasn't proof. It was easier to challenge the test than it would have been to find my old certificate. It's easy to get a WIN card in AB without ever taking a hunter education course.

A PAL has nothing to do with wildlife and species identification, so more should definitely be required.
If this is true, it's a sad day for all of us. Typical of left wing money grabbing gov'ts though as they need the cash to fund their fun. Very sad for me as I used to support them.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:42 AM

I understand that Ontario used to have a 2 day course that everyone, including non-residents had to take before receiving a turkey license, but they've dropped that requirement this year.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I understand that Ontario used to have a 2 day course that everyone, including non-residents had to take before receiving a turkey license, but they've dropped that requirement this year.
I actually have my ON Turkey Course certificate from 1994..........and I've had two different Hunter Safety courses in ON from when I was a kid in the 70's. Lost the first certificate and had to take another course later on because they didn't keep records........doh. I'm way over-qualified for BC.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Before getting panties in a wad it ois useful to read the rest of the regs.

Quote:
Hunter Safety Training
Proof of hunter safety training includes:

Conservation & Outdoor Recreation Education certificate
A confirmation letter from the B.C. Wildlife Federation or the Fish & Wildlife Branch
A document issued by a Canadian territory or province other than British Columbia, or a US state, indicating successful completion of a hunter safety training course
Old 03-24-2018, 11:11 AM

Just signed up and got a BC FWID number. Pretty easy process. Had to prove my age, address, and hunters training via uploading pics of everything. Superior system IMO to Alberta RELM account. Actually makes you prove where you live and who you are.

Called BC Front Desk and it sounds like all you need to do if you don't have BC FWID is go to Service BC Office with ID and hunters training card. No big deal.

Did take me a few minutes to find my hunters training card from 2000 though....
Old 03-27-2018, 09:40 PM
Banned

I did some looking into this today. I spoke to a person at Service BC who told me I was SOL without a way to prove my hunter safety course. Next call was to AHEIA, they only took over the Hunter's Ed course in 2000 and have no records from before 2000. So yeah. There's basically no way I'm going to turn up a 30 year old certificate from the class I did in school. Although I did actually turn up the patches they gave me when I was cleaning out my Mom's basement a few years back. Those are not proof either apparently.

The AHEIA online course is not so much fun btw, I'm about half way through and it looks like the bottle of Highland Park I am nursing along with is gonna finish me well before I'm done.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayNay View Post
Just signed up and got a BC FWID number. Pretty easy process. Had to prove my age, address, and hunters training via uploading pics of everything. Superior system IMO to Alberta RELM account. Actually makes you prove where you live and who you are.

Called BC Front Desk and it sounds like all you need to do if you don't have BC FWID is go to Service BC Office with ID and hunters training card. No big deal.

Did take me a few minutes to find my hunters training card from 2000 though....
Just did the same thing online. Scanned my AB DL and Hunter Safety Course certificate (which I unexpectedly found), uploaded it on Friday and received my BC FWID on Monday.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRED View Post
When I moved here from Alberta I had to show proof of Hunter training to be able to get my license, hasn't it always been this way?
Imagine producing an Alberta license would prove you had taken a hunter training course.

Grizz
Old 03-28-2018, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Imagine producing an Alberta license would prove you had taken a hunter training course.

Grizz
Aparently not.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:04 AM

Even ;if you go through the hassle of a license good luck with getting any landowner's permission.

Tried that a few yrs ago and after 2 days gave up. Just no land owner is going to give you permission the minute he see's your alta. plate. Even after I went on public land I was checked many times by very aggressive F&W

If you want to hunt turkeys look so. to Montana
Old 03-29-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
If you have previously had a BC license then you don't need to prove the Training course. I don't know if a license from another province will work instead of the training course but you could phone and ask them. I know it used to.

As far as proving your Alberta training course, all I had was my wallet card from 1969. Sent AHIA a copy of that and they sent me a new card and certificate in 2 days so I could get a Hawaiian hunting license. The big island, unlike most places in the world, does not accept a previous license from somewhere else nor is there an age cut off.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Even ;if you go through the hassle of a license good luck with getting any landowner's permission.

Tried that a few yrs ago and after 2 days gave up. Just no land owner is going to give you permission the minute he see's your alta. plate. Even after I went on public land I was checked many times by very aggressive F&W

If you want to hunt turkeys look so. to Montana
Hey, local landowners do not like us B.C.'s either so don't feel special!
Crown land is good, but hard to find. If you ask nice some landowners will let you on.
Montana, Idaho, and Washington all are easy to hunt, and have lots of birds (that's where ours came from). Also, the Americans seem a lot more friendly and are more willing to share info than we from B.C. I think we may be stuck up!
Old 03-31-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceilidh69 View Post
Called service BC lots of confusion here. Stand by still looking in to this as I wanted to go myself and can't find my NS certificate from 1979 (had it when I first moved to Alberta - #$%^&*(&^%$%^).
I know the ns government has gone through an update of the "orange card" due to a lot of cards being obsolete. It was called a wildlife certificate when I moved away 12 yrs ago. Not sure if they kept records from ppl that didn't respond. So you might be sol as far as finding your ns one