Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-16-2017, 09:29 AM

Default Winter Fishing/Chinook fishing - not through ice

Hey All,

I've only been fishing since summer and am hoping someone can help my clueless butt out. We've had one heck of a stretch of mild temps and the bow is still moving. I'd like to spend sometime on the shore tomorrow but am wondering how to approach things. Do fish behave more like they would in the fall during these longer stretches of mild temps in moving water? Or should I be looking more into ice fishing info for techniques even when the water's moving and it's 0°+? Anything I shoulf know about chinook/moving water winter fishing?

Also hoping for suggestions of places to keep an eye on during chinooks or that don't freeze over completely until it's super cold for weeks (if that exists in Alberta lol) - I don't own ice fishing equipment so my only shots are when the ice breaks up a bit.

Thanks a ton!!!
Old 12-17-2017, 11:09 AM

I lived in Calgary for more that twenty years, from 1979 to 2001. I loved being able to walk down to the river(s) with my fishing pole and catch trout and whitefish. Even caught a pike once. Anyway. One February, when the weather was warm and chinooky, I watched my buddy pull a really dark rainbow trout - maybe 15" long - out of the water on the south end of town. He was using a small Panther Martin, retrieving it very slowly....No reason that you couldn't do the same with, say, a zonker. Give it a try! Don't fall in.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melabee View Post
Hey All,

I've only been fishing since summer and am hoping someone can help my clueless butt out. We've had one heck of a stretch of mild temps and the bow is still moving. I'd like to spend sometime on the shore tomorrow but am wondering how to approach things. Do fish behave more like they would in the fall during these longer stretches of mild temps in moving water? Or should I be looking more into ice fishing info for techniques even when the water's moving and it's 0°+? Anything I shoulf know about chinook/moving water winter fishing?

Also hoping for suggestions of places to keep an eye on during chinooks or that don't freeze over completely until it's super cold for weeks (if that exists in Alberta lol) - I don't own ice fishing equipment so my only shots are when the ice breaks up a bit.

Thanks a ton!!!

Is this for the Calgary area, or are you talking further upstream?
Old 12-17-2017, 12:01 PM

Default Fly fishing?

Do you use nymphs?
Ask the boys that are experts on this technique. Ask to see the flys the tie for this.

As has been said don't fall in, it can kill you.