Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 04:32 PM

Nice gun! But for $3000 the small things are important. Is that bedding still on the action? Why can't they find a recoil pad that fits? Maybe just the pictures.....?
Old 12-12-2017, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
Nice gun! But for $3000 the small things are important. Is that bedding still on the action? Why can't they find a recoil pad that fits? Maybe just the pictures.....?
Ya, It either bedding or paint, the recoil pad looks fine, it's just a hair bigger all the way around, it looks worse in the pics than in real life.

I measured the barrel and it is only 24". I wonder if they are calling it 26" at Christensen because of the break?

One thing I noticed is the bolt is tight when you're cocking it after pulling the trigger, like tighter than any other rifle I've had.

I can't wait to burn some powder in this one.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:43 PM

Seems weird that they’d include the brake, but maybe. My Cooper shoots the Berger 168 classic hunter very good. Never tried a different bullet. Also only tried H4831SC. I will anxiously await your results!
Old 12-12-2017, 08:45 PM

The oversized recoil pad does look out of place, but everything else looks okay.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The oversized recoil pad does look out of place, but everything else looks okay.
Lol, it really doesn't look so bad in real life, I never even noticed until Silver Lab mentioned it.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:26 PM

Like I said, it could be just the pictures. They have a funny way of showing something that's not really there.
I wish it was mine!!
Old 12-12-2017, 09:50 PM

Sweet rig. Love the caliber choice
Old 12-13-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
It looks like a typical Christiansen Arms rifle. Some really like them others consider them a bit disappointing.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-13-2017, 07:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
It looks like a typical Christiansen Arms rifle. Some really like them others consider them a bit disappointing.
Sorry you're disappointed Chuck, but if you think the rifle sucks just wait till I post the target pics after the barrel break in.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:10 AM

Great choice Kurt
I was looking at getting one from PR in 28Nosler when they had a couple in.
But by the time I decided to get it, they had sold them all.
Still on the hunt for the perfect all around, the Ridgeline might be as close to perfect as it gets, light, accurate, and a rugged.
Great choice on the 280AI as well. I have a couple of them as well.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
Great choice Kurt
I was looking at getting one from PR in 28Nosler when they had a couple in.
But by the time I decided to get it, they had sold them all.
Still on the hunt for the perfect all around, the Ridgeline might be as close to perfect as it gets, light, accurate, and a rugged.
Great choice on the 280AI as well. I have a couple of them as well.
The Cooper 280 I bought off of you was a great shooter, but a little heavy for how I like to hunt. Like you say, this Christensen seems to be a great all round round rifle I just have to range test it but from all accounts I don't think it'll have a problem in the accuracy department. The only thing the Cooper was missing was lightweight, this Christensen has that covered, not to mention it looks pretty badazz.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:05 AM

Yes all the Coopers I have and my family have have been great shooters.
But thats why I got rid of a couple as they been heavy.
I bought the first 35 whelen they made, it shot amazing but was to heavy for the way I hunt as well.
Yes the Ridgeline does look badass, they have that going for them in spades.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Sorry you're disappointed Chuck, but if you think the rifle sucks just wait till I post the target pics after the barrel break in.
Why would I be disappointed in that rifle?

-Billy Molls
Old 12-13-2017, 02:45 PM

Congrats on the new gun😀
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 12-14-2017, 01:17 PM

How much weight does the carbon fiber barrel shave off compared to standard sporter barrels?
Old 12-14-2017, 03:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
How much weight does the carbon fiber barrel shave off compared to standard sporter barrels?
Nothing compared to standards sporter barrels, the theory behind it is it's to replace bull barrels. The carbon fiber is stiffer than steel and dissipates heat 300x faster than steel. So I imagine you save a couple pounds over a varmint rifle. It's supposed to be a light weight "longer range" rifle.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:26 AM

What made you choose this rifle say over a Cooper 92 Kurt?
I am looking to thin the herd down to a one gun does all very soon. Ive been considering the Cooper 92. They are supposed to be making a lefty soon.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
What made you choose this rifle say over a Cooper 92 Kurt?
I am looking to thin the herd down to a one gun does all very soon. Ive been considering the Cooper 92. They are supposed to be making a lefty soon.
I just thought I'd try one because it's different technology. I took it out to start the break in this weekend.

After the first shot I noticed my muzzle break cracked! I sent a quick text to Clay and he said he'd have me a new one on warranty asap so that was great.

Christensen' break in process is fairly long, it's 1 shot then clean for the first 10 shots, then 5 shots and clean for another 5 sets. I only got as far as my second set of 5 but wow it seems like an accurate shooter! Here's the first set of 5, and one of them was the fouler!

It seems to be every bit as accurate as any Cooper or Weatherby I've ever had but way lighter, and this group is with factory ammo. I think this one will be a keeper, it sure is a pleasure to shoot with the muzzle break
Old 12-17-2017, 07:40 PM

What bullet, powder combo are you using? Did you chronograph this load?
Old 12-17-2017, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
What bullet, powder combo are you using? Did you chronograph this load?
I didn't have time to load up any bullets so I just used some factory Nosler Trophy Grade 140gr Accubonds. I'm going to try out some 162gr ELDX and some IMR4350 when I have some time. I've got a bunch of 150gr Nosler LRAB's that worked really good in my Nula that I'll try with this rifle too.

Never had the chrono out this weekend, but I chrono' tgem in my Nula and they averaged right at 3150fps. The load I have for the 150's has the exact some poi @ 500yds as these factory 140's so I'm guessing their flying pretty close to the same speed.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:24 PM

that sucks about the muzzle break. Hopefully it gets here soon.

How was it shooting without it? Much difference in recoil? How is the recoil compared to your Nula?
Old 12-17-2017, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
that sucks about the muzzle break. Hopefully it gets here soon.

How was it shooting without it? Much difference in recoil? How is the recoil compared to your Nula?
I kept shooting with the break on, I figured I had nothing to lose if it blew in half since it was already cracked. It held up though. I was amazed at how light the recoil was with the break on, it was like 243 mild. I never did shoot it without the break.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:23 AM

Have you considered Christensens side discharge brake? Suppose to be VERY effective. That's the one I would go with if I decide to try out a Christensen. Has tunable ports on the top that can be opened and closed to control muzzle lift/jump. Might be worth looking into seeing as a new brake needs to be ordered. That's to bad about your brake, but at least Clay is taking good care of you.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
Have you considered Christensens side discharge brake? Suppose to be VERY effective. That's the one I would go with if I decide to try out a Christensen. Has tunable ports on the top that can be opened and closed to control muzzle lift/jump. Might be worth looking into seeing as a new brake needs to be ordered. That's to bad about your brake, but at least Clay is taking good care of you.
I talked with Clay again, he said he'll look into it tomorrow for me when he's back to the shop.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I didn't have time to load up any bullets so I just used some factory Nosler Trophy Grade 140gr Accubonds. I'm going to try out some 162gr ELDX and some IMR4350 when I have some time. I've got a bunch of 150gr Nosler LRAB's that worked really good in my Nula that I'll try with this rifle too.

Never had the chrono out this weekend, but I chrono' tgem in my Nula and they averaged right at 3150fps. The load I have for the 150's has the exact some poi @ 500yds as these factory 140's so I'm guessing their flying pretty close to the same speed.
Those are some fantastic numbers. What kind of life do you get from brass?
Old 12-18-2017, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Those are some fantastic numbers. What kind of life do you get from brass?
Not exactly sure. I don't have to trim them until at least 5 or 6 rounds and even after about 9 or 10 firings the primer pockets are tight and there's no signs of cracks in any of my brass. I have never measured wall thickness on my brass so I'd never be able to tell the difference there, I'm not that advanced in my shooting. I did have one primer blow out of a factory Nosler load once.

I got the rifle rigged up with a nice little bipod now, it'll be nice to see how I like them.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I just thought I'd try one because it's different technology. I took it out to start the break in this weekend.

After the first shot I noticed my muzzle break cracked! I sent a quick text to Clay and he said he'd have me a new one on warranty asap so that was great.

Christensen' break in process is fairly long, it's 1 shot then clean for the first 10 shots, then 5 shots and clean for another 5 sets. I only got as far as my second set of 5 but wow it seems like an accurate shooter! Here's the first set of 5, and one of them was the fouler!

It seems to be every bit as accurate as any Cooper or Weatherby I've ever had but way lighter, and this group is with factory ammo. I think this one will be a keeper, it sure is a pleasure to shoot with the muzzle break
Instead of a muzzle" brake", you have an actual muzzle" break".
Old 12-18-2017, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Instead of a muzzle" brake", you have an actual muzzle" break".
First time I ever used one, I guess the Ackley has too much power......
Old 12-18-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
First time I ever used one, I guess the Ackley has too much power......
More like a QC issue at Christensen.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Not exactly sure. I don't have to trim them until at least 5 or 6 rounds and even after about 9 or 10 firings the primer pockets are tight and there's no signs of cracks in any of my brass. I have never measured wall thickness on my brass so I'd never be able to tell the difference there, I'm not that advanced in my shooting. I did have one primer blow out of a factory Nosler load once.

I got the rifle rigged up with a nice little bipod now, it'll be nice to see how I like them.

Make sure your bipod is dug in so you can lean into it and load into your recoil pad. If you do this your consistency can increase, if your bipod is not loaded up, then its no better than any other rest.