Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 09:54 AM

Good on you for taking care of business!
I have no idea why some people have the attitude that just because they are hunting they can go anywhere they want to and shoot whatever they want to, outfitter, guide , local resident or not!
I personally let every landowner know when I am accessing their property and they appreciate it .
Cat
Old 12-14-2017, 09:59 AM

Good luck finding these guys Pal, its a shame you have to put up with so much BS every hunting season. Perhaps you should let a couple buddies stand guard and watch the place on weekends that your not out
Old 12-14-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
Good morning all, just a follow up as I've received lots of questions, and some help.

The one person has been identified. The authorities are aware and are currently building their case. I am pressing charges, to the maximum extent of the law.

This will be the sixth case this year I have had that i am pressing charges against for trespassing, poaching or vandalism to my property. I'm tired of it, and wish that more people would obey the law rather than try to shame people for wanting the rights to their property upheld. There are a few more cases that i know occurred that i don't have the proof to proceed further.

I never understand why there is so much animosity toward a landowner trying to get respect of their possessions. Poachers/Trespassers create a bad name for all of us. I personally don't see a difference between people cutting locks, trespassing, etc and any other crime. I don't think anyone would appreciate me going to their home and sitting in their living room uninvited.

My girlfriend and I actually had to shoot a lock off of our own gate this year as someone locked us inside of our own land by chaining and locking us in. It was clear with the fresh snow that we were in there and was done intentionally. It was a good learning lesson for my girlfriend towards the ignorant group of criminals that associate with the law abiding hunters.

I do appreciate all of the help that was directed my way.
Good on you... I hope people get charged for doing stupid things. Trespassing is trespassing, no matter if it's land or your house.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:13 AM

and for the guys with the Polaris quad who cut the lock off of the gates to access it, I've got your pictures and so do the F&W.

Those pictures are not for the social media platform as I have faces and license plate numbers.

Thankfully there are lots of honest guys out there willing to ID the bad apples.

I've also got lots of pictures of cool things as well. Nothing beats heading out and checking SD cards to see who/what you'll find.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:25 AM

Good on you! Hope they get convicted! We need more respect.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:29 AM

Default Wtf

What is wrong with people? It’s hard to understand what the thought process is when your a guy who works so hard to get permission, helps the land owner out with chores and show appreciation. I don’t get it. I have to ask, because my brain wants to hope there is some logical explanation. Does this happen to look like crown land, no signs, no house, no out buildings, is it fenced fully, is there a leased road running through this land? Not that it makes it right, but maybe there is a way to stop all this trespassing and poaching that going on?
I hope those pay for these acts, it’s a shame this has to bugger your prescious time afield. Wish you luck!
Old 12-14-2017, 10:43 AM

This particular property is fully fenced, and i would care to guess that every third fencepost (or on an equivalent spaced tree) on the high traffic areas is a 12x36" red steel sign, a "no trespassing tire," a 12x24 bright yellow aluminum, or the typical yellow no trespassing plastics.

640 acres and probably has 150-200 no trespassing signs. Maybe more.

I literally charged a group of 3 guys, 5 or so years ago who "didn't see the signs," but were caught with a cow elk running towards the fence line dragging it to get off the property. They gave me the old "we didn't see any signs" routine and we could see 6 different signs from where we were standing.

This property has the locks cut off, gates shot, locked our locks out of the chain, cut wires, or damaged property at least 1-3 times per season. And i don't recall it ever being a repeat offender that's been charged.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:46 AM

Glad your making progress with the wrong doers. I feel your hunting season pain. That sucks big time you have all these issues with trespassers etc. and it totally screws it for the people who play by the book...sigh.

I see similar issues on some property I hunt on from time to time every year. Permission doesn't matter...sigh. Extremely disappointing.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:05 AM

Default area

Quote:
This particular property is fully fenced, and i would care to guess that every third fencepost (or on an equivalent spaced tree) on the high traffic areas is a 12x36" red steel sign, a "no trespassing tire," a 12x24 bright yellow aluminum, or the typical yellow no trespassing plastics.

I literally charged a group of 3 guys, 5 or so years ago who "didn't see the signs," but were caught with a cow elk running towards the fence line dragging it to get off the property. They gave me the old "we didn't see any signs" routine and we could see 6 different signs from where we were standing.

This property has the locks cut off, gates shot, locked our locks out of the chain, cut wires, or damaged property at least 1-3 times per season. And i don't recall it ever being a repeat offender that's been charged.
what area of the province? or what WMU, may have been asked already
Old 12-14-2017, 11:31 AM

wmu 310.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:25 PM

Sounds like a spot where I have permission in the bow zone. 5 trespassers that I knew of this yr, 2 on camera. I put signs everywhere as the landowner is elderly, those signs were ripped down three different times this year. The signs were on all sides of the property and some inside the property and ALL had been ripped down. Bottom line, people are losers.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Good morning all, just a follow up as I've received lots of questions, and some help.

The one person has been identified. The authorities are aware and are currently building their case. I am pressing charges, to the maximum extent of the law.

This will be the sixth case this year I have had that i am pressing charges against for trespassing, poaching or vandalism to my property. I'm tired of it, and wish that more people would obey the law rather than try to shame people for wanting the rights to their property upheld. There are a few more cases that i know occurred that i don't have the proof to proceed further.

I never understand why there is so much animosity toward a landowner trying to get respect of their possessions. Poachers/Trespassers create a bad name for all of us. I personally don't see a difference between people cutting locks, trespassing, etc and any other crime. I don't think anyone would appreciate me going to their home and sitting in their living room uninvited.

My girlfriend and I actually had to shoot a lock off of our own gate this year as someone locked us inside of our own land by chaining and locking us in. It was clear with the fresh snow that we were in there and was done intentionally. It was a good learning lesson for my girlfriend towards the ignorant group of criminals that associate with the law abiding hunters.

Good deal for turning them in hope things work out. Hopefully when all said and done you can report back with how the procedings went.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:36 PM

This property has the locks cut off, gates shot, locked our locks out of the chain, cut wires, or damaged property at least 1-3 times per season. And i don't recall it ever being a repeat offender that's been charged.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like your property is very popular
Old 12-14-2017, 01:43 PM

My buddy's property where I have the only permission to hunt is the same. WE have signs up everywhere and still see signs of tresspass and poaching every year ( bloody drag trails in snow) WE have caught a few in past couple years but it requires constant surviellence and we physically cant do that. A real pain
Old 12-14-2017, 01:48 PM

Default Charge everyone you catch regardless if it sticks.

Quote:

Not seeing the signs is a very poor excuse. A land owner shouldn’t even need No Hunting signs. If it’s fenced or cultivated there is a pretty good chance it’s owned or leased which requires permission. That is what county maps and minute intelagance is for.
If people were cutting my gate locks I would have some mighty sharp harrows in the grass.
There is next to nothing for fish and wildlife presence anymore which I think is why these jerk wads think they can get away with poaching and in most cases they do.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Good Morning,

Can anyone help me identify this person? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Is the second person Derek Fildebrandt?
Old 12-14-2017, 02:59 PM

HuntingAlberta

I am glad that you got one of those guys identified and I am glad you are persistent in laying charges against everyone you get the goods on.

I too do not understand the entitled attitude many so called hunters have towards landowners. They must think that the price of the tag is all that is needed. Anyway there is far too much of this going on and we have far too many poachers among us.

In my opinion bagging a poacher has as much prestige as tagging a trophy buck. Keep up the battle.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:40 PM

Sorry to derail this a bit but I believe this sign thing needs to be looked at in this province. I see countless 'No Hunting' signs with hunting activities going on. Many of these signs are put by well meaning and law abiding hunters. I believe if there is a sign indicating the restriction of an activity it needs to be adhered to. Not just by whomever and by the whim of anyone. It is in my belief that if an accident caused by a hunting activity and a sharp lawyer, someone could and should be sued for reckless and inappropriate signage. The responsibility should reside with the landowner of what the signage indicates to ensure the safety of people nearby. It is my hope that some meaningful discussion could come of this.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:51 PM

The no hunting signs should just be changed to "No Poaching" because I know lots of landowners that allow hunting but put up no hunting signs.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:

Good on you for following through with the trespassing, the disrespect for landowners is rampant in this province. Ignore the loser comments on here trying to explain/defend poachers, they always show up on these threads.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:14 PM
Banned

Default fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
Sorry to derail this a bit but I believe this sign thing needs to be looked at in this province. I see countless 'No Hunting' signs with hunting activities going on. Many of these signs are put by well meaning and law abiding hunters. I believe if there is a sign indicating the restriction of an activity it needs to be adhered to. Not just by whomever and by the whim of anyone. It is in my belief that if an accident caused by a hunting activity and a sharp lawyer, someone could and should be sued for reckless and inappropriate signage. The responsibility should reside with the landowner of what the signage indicates to ensure the safety of people nearby. It is my hope that some meaningful discussion could come of this.
fire:scared001 8:
Old 12-14-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
When I see a sign that says keep out, I know it means keep out and I also know it does not mean keep out to the land owner and it does not mean keep out to those that the owner has allowed in. No hunting does not mean no hunting to the owner or those the owner has allowed to hunt.

Yes there is a possibility that a landowner might be sued for a hunting accident on his/her property. If this was to happen more than a few times I would not blame land owners for not allowing hunters on their property ever.

If and when I see signs I know what they mean. If I don't see signs on private property I know it still means that I need permission.

I do no think that any landowner should be told that if he has put up no hunting signs that he is not allowed to hunt on his own property or he can not grant hunting permission to those he chooses. It is just those that think they are entitled would ever tell a landowner that.

It is just my opinion and I am not expecting all or any to agree, but I do not think there should be any need for signs and that permission should be required for all access to private property. The only signs I might see a need for is Permission for hunting or shooting or trespassing will not be granted. This would prevent the landowner from having to spend every waking moment saying no to hunters.

I have been told no more than once. That just makes me appreciate more those that say yes.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:39 PM

My buddy pulls out of his gate in November, two guys in truck parked on road. My buddy pulls up and asks them where they are hunting, tells them he owns the property where they are parked and are evidently watching. The first reply he gets is "yah but is it posted?". People are just dumb ****s, plain and simple.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
This has been hashed over time and again THIS DOES NOT APPLY IN FREAKING ALBERTA!!! It may apply elsewhere NOT HERE!!!

If you don't know exactly where you are....you shouldn't hunt there period.

LC
Old 12-14-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Just what part of " no hunting" signs on private do you not understand?
Cat
Old 12-14-2017, 10:45 PM

At least they didn't steal your sd cards or your cameras! NO Hunting doesn't mean MAYBE hunting or NO trespassing doesn't mean MAYBE trespassing! As Residentspokesman said the trail cam pic can be verified that it was on posted land by having the CO take pics from the same spot and comparing the two. By the looks of the trail cam pic it doesn't look like they were just out for a stroll! after all they were wearing camo and carrying a rifle on posted land! I say forward your evidence so that if this happens again you can add to your case. Good luck!!
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This has been hashed over time and again THIS DOES NOT APPLY IN FREAKING ALBERTA!!! It may apply elsewhere NOT HERE!!!

If you don't know exactly where you are....you shouldn't hunt there period.

LC
Exactly. Law in Alberta for trespassing states private property does not need to be posted. It’s private property. If you don’t have owners permission, your trespassing. Period.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Throwing pics on the internet doesn't in my opinion seem like a proper thing to do in regards to a possible criminal activity. You see it all the time though. If you have suspicions of an outfitter then send him the pic and ask if ts is a client or employee. There may be a simple explanation as a medical issue or late for an apt that caused a 'shortcut' back to a road. If it's a one time thing then I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a habit or blatant disregard then take to the next level. I would keep the pics to myself though.
Nope, they are trespassers, criminals and they will give you every excuse as to why they were there even a medical excuse...crooks are not stupid so you gotta match wit with wit or be a victim of crime....your choice.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-15-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:

Sign or no sign, i wouldnt hunt on anyone's land without permission first. Pretty cut and dry. Its not my land so i have to ask.

Also, an individual should be responsible for the safety of themselves.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:55 AM

I fully agree with everything that has been said. I have seen so many signs put up this year that I know landowners didn't put up. It's hunters putting up no hunting signs to keep others out. This is my issue with signage and I believe needs to be looked at. I have never put a sign up on my properties and don't really have many problems. The places I see that have the most issues are places that are signed up extensively. Could be its good habitat but sometimes I think people bring problems onto themselves. I'm old school, you hunt my land, I hunt on yours. Don't really need to discuss it much more than that. Crown land is what it is. Grazing leases are what they are. Private property, if you don't know who it is, get permission or don't go there. Pretty simple. But when you know the people and have permission, do your homework, get up early, drive to land you have permission in and pull up to park at gate and see signage placed up by individual that is hunting there as well. Kinda crappy conversations can be had.