Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 09:46 PM

Default Take down rifles

I have bee thinking lots about a nice trim takedown gun setup. I would like it to be able to fit into a backpack, etc and hold zero fairly well. Any suggestions? The only rifles i know for certain are the BLR and not sure thats the route i want to go.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:48 PM

Lots of options if you go with a pistol caliber.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:07 AM

Default take down options

Lots of options if you look for them. I have an old savage 99 take-down that can be in pieces in two minutes.
Any of the break-action guns will typically come apart real easy as well. I have a few drilling guns that function very well. My sxs rifles disassemble quickly, but then you are starting to get into the "over 10 pound" range of guns, making them undesirable for packing.
If you're looking for something a bit more "high-end" I would suggest the Blaser R8, or maybe one of the Sauers. I have a couple of R8's and their accuracy is incredible. The scope mounting system returns to zero every time.
If weight is an issue, Blaser, Merkel, and a few others make some pretty high-end single shots that break down, but you are also getting into the 5-10,000.00 range.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:18 AM

I thing Kifaru has the Ramblers Rifle. One must have deep pockets.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:12 AM

If you want inexpensive and works good look at the Baikal. IF you have more money the sky is the limit. There are a ton of great high quality choices that break down into small packages and return to exact zero every time.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:42 AM

You are exactly where I was several years ago.I wanted a takedown and I shopped quite a bit before I settled on the Browning BLR. I had a little trouble holding exact poi until I put a scout scope on it-I tried several and settled on the Burris 2x7. Now, this rifle holds poi after takedown, I can bore site it somewhat and it fits into a small pack. Also, it has a box magazine, this is vital for a levergun, imo. This rifle suits me fine now and is suitable for elk and sheep.My .02.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.tinsmith View Post
You are exactly where I was several years ago.I wanted a takedown and I shopped quite a bit before I settled on the Browning BLR. I had a little trouble holding exact poi until I put a scout scope on it-I tried several and settled on the Burris 2x7. Now, this rifle holds poi after takedown, I can bore site it somewhat and it fits into a small pack. Also, it has a box magazine, this is vital for a levergun, imo. This rifle suits me fine now and is suitable for elk and sheep.My .02.
What caliber did you go with? With the BLR there are magnum calibers which might be ideal for elk and mountain hunting.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.tinsmith View Post
I think this route makes the most sense. I just wish they made a 338 federal in a takedown.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
What caliber did you go with? With the BLR there are magnum calibers which might be ideal for elk and mountain hunting.
Mine is a .270 WCF. The BLR is available in the .450 Marlin, the .325 etc. I am over 6' but I cut the lop down a little and the barrel to 19". Talk about handy-39" long