Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-07-2016, 11:03 AM

Default Lost Fly Boxes

Hey guys,

Yesterday morning, I was fishing near the mouth of Fish Creek on the Bow River, just a little upstream. I was fighting a fish and got in too deep, panicked, and lost my footing. I got waterlogged and carried downstream a bit and in the process I lost both my fly boxes and a full season worth of flies. I'm grateful to be alive as the experience was really scary, especially since I couldn't really swim with waders full of water and a rod with a fish hooked. However, at the same time, it's major bummer having to replace all my flies. Both boxes were medium sized, clear, double sided Gaspe/MFC boxes. I saw one drifting and tried to chase it, but my waders were full of water and I was too exhausted to run after either of them. I suspect they likely drifted past the Stoney Trail bridge and are now somewhere downstream. If anyone happens to come across them, I would be forever grateful if they were returned. Thanks so much for your time guys.

Sam
Old 04-07-2016, 02:24 PM

Scary! Glad you are ok. Did you land the fish though?
I'll keep my eyes peeled for fly boxes.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:38 PM

Yeah, me too...it could have ended way worse. I did land the fish though! I just towed him back to shore. Biggest rainbow I've ever caught! It was a little like that scene in A River Runs Through It. Although I netted him and put him back into the river as fast as I could because I tried to chase my flies to no avail

Last edited by Samuel Hoffe; 04-07-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:48 PM

I wish you the best of luck finding your boxes. I once left all my tackle at boat launch and a lake resident was kind enough to post a sign.
Glad you are safe.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:27 PM

If your looking maybe you guys can find my bamboo rod I lost back in 1985 when I went for a swim. Look on the bright side maybe the guy who found my rod now has some flies and can start fly fishing! 😧

Tags
bow river, box, boxes, fly, lost