Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-23-2014, 02:21 PM

Default Bow River near Cochrane

As I live in Cochrane i've spent a fair amount of time fishing the Bow there this summer with limited success. Had a few good rainbows up near the gas plant and a whitefish under the bridge in town buts that pretty much it for the whole summer. I'm looking for any advice to help to improve my success on this section of the river (good spots, flies (san juan seems to be working right now), what type of water the fish might sit in etc.). Thanks!
Old 10-23-2014, 03:27 PM

Default Bow River

I live in Cochrane as well and noticed this year that it is not fishing near as good as it should be, and I'm not the only one who has noticed it. Talking to my buddies we are beginning to think that a lot of it is probably contributed to the flood. I know I drifted down it this year and the whole river has changed.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert28 View Post
As I live in Cochrane i've spent a fair amount of time fishing the Bow there this summer with limited success. Had a few good rainbows up near the gas plant and a whitefish under the bridge in town buts that pretty much it for the whole summer. I'm looking for any advice to help to improve my success on this section of the river (good spots, flies (san juan seems to be working right now), what type of water the fish might sit in etc.). Thanks!
Try under the hwy 22 bridge good results, or you could try the confluence of jp creek
Old 10-23-2014, 05:11 PM

Is it every that good? Being so close to ghost damn i would not think that the fishing would be very good, the water fluctuating so much and all. Am i right or is it actually an okay stretch of river?
Old 10-23-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WINCHESTER View Post
Is it every that good? Being so close to ghost damn i would not think that the fishing would be very good, the water fluctuating so much and all. Am i right or is it actually an okay stretch of river?
its idea to me has some great spots though dont recommend wading, nice lil town with ice cream, truly a great place to be and live in (fish in too)
Old 10-23-2014, 07:09 PM

No it's not as good as other places on the bow. Why the dam fluctuates so often. I have caught fish but nothing like other parts. I don't care much for the bow anymore anyway.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:30 AM

Icefever,

The Bow @ Cochrane has many characteristics that make it a lousy fishery due to the fluctuating lows caused by the "Peaking Power" operation of the dams upstream.

Here are but some of the conditions that the fluctuating causes:

1] loss of spawning habitat due to dewatering of side channels and shallow areas where spawning generally occurs.
2] loss of insect habitat was the gravels are dewatered along the edges
3] ice issues in the winter where low flows drops the ice to the river bottom where it freezes. When the high flows reoccur, the resultant flood forces the fish into very high flow conditions where they may not survive.
4] Ice issues also destroy dream bottoms as high flows churn the gravel washing the bugs out of the gravels.

And lastly, the lack of nutrient load results in less insects. Both Banff and Canmore are now no longer dumping their sewage into the Bow.

It must be noted that this type of dam operation is illegal in the US and a afterbay dam has to be constructed to modulate the stream flows to more normal conditions. Why does this situation exist in Alberta. You gotta ask your MLA. Just another Alberta Advantage!

Don
Old 10-28-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert28 View Post
There are decent spots, just gotta go for a hike. I laugh everytime I see guys wasting their time fishing under the hwy 22 bridge. Easily accessed spots fish like junk for a reason.

Some say it's not always about the fish when you go out, but I say, whats the point in going fishing if you're not giving yourself the best opportunity to get a tight line.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
There are decent spots, just gotta go for a hike. I laugh everytime I see guys wasting their time fishing under the hwy 22 bridge. Easily accessed spots fish like junk for a reason.

Some say it's not always about the fish when you go out, but I say, whats the point in going fishing if you're not giving yourself the best opportunity to get a tight line.
i disagree that spot has served me well at times, but true my success is usually where less or no people fish
Old 10-29-2014, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
i disagree that spot has served me well at times, but true my success is usually where less or no people fish
but you don't even fish...

To the OP, I've caught a 3lbs rainbow just downstream of the plant using beaded head nypmths.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhunter View Post
but you don't even fish...

To the OP, I've caught a 3lbs rainbow just downstream of the plant using beaded head nypmths.
quit trollin dude, im tryin to help someone if i can
Old 10-29-2014, 05:14 PM

There's fish, learn to fish structure. Fish structure that would offer fish protection from high flows, which include cover (high cliff walls, cliffs sides, tablerock), woody debris, and root complexes. With fluctuating water levels as mentioned, bug life in said streams is going to be abysmal. Studies have shown in rivers with inconsistent water levels, trout and especially brown trout use areas like this.

Learn to become a proficient streamer angler, and fish streamers at structure. (streamers do not mean little baby woolly buggers, these fish are opportunistic and will eat bigger meals to conserve energy, IE. large sculpin imitations, small trout imitations, small whitefish imitations, items that are typically 3-5" long.) Most trout that favour structure become territorial of these places because they can thrive year round in areas like this. Using these areas to ambush prey, and are typically focused on smaller fish. Along with being able to sustain high flows, and rarely being accessible to predators. Fish will grow big and thrive in these locations.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:30 AM

YUP.just what he just said!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2014, 06:45 PM
Banned

New to the area.....where is the dam? Gap lake?
Old 11-11-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
There's fish, learn to fish structure. Fish structure that would offer fish protection from high flows, which include cover (high cliff walls, cliffs sides, tablerock), woody debris, and root complexes. With fluctuating water levels as mentioned, bug life in said streams is going to be abysmal. Studies have shown in rivers with inconsistent water levels, trout and especially brown trout use areas like this.

Learn to become a proficient streamer angler, and fish streamers at structure. (streamers do not mean little baby woolly buggers, these fish are opportunistic and will eat bigger meals to conserve energy, IE. large sculpin imitations, small trout imitations, small whitefish imitations, items that are typically 3-5" long.) Most trout that favour structure become territorial of these places because they can thrive year round in areas like this. Using these areas to ambush prey, and are typically focused on smaller fish. Along with being able to sustain high flows, and rarely being accessible to predators. Fish will grow big and thrive in these locations.
You just won this thread..... but seriously that advice is awesome - you boys catch a ton of fish, hope to run into you guys one day.

Tags
bow river, cochrane