Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-18-2016, 12:35 AM

Exclamation Teens fishing the bow river

I've always wanted to fish the bow but never gotten around to it. Just wondering if anyone knows of any places preferably in the southwest that would produce fish and be easier to fish given the fact I'm bringing some a few friends to teach them how to fish I know it's not the best spot but that's all we got. Heard big raplalas work if you through them into back eties. Any sports tips or tricks would be a huge help!
Old 03-19-2016, 01:34 PM

Just north of the Deerfoot bridge, in the far south is the best. Anywhere from there to fish creek launch is good. Theres a bend by the Southland dog park thats fairly easy to fish. Yet I haven't been there in a while.
The Bow is anything but easy to fish. The fish all have PhD's, lol. That's not to discourage you, but be prepared for frustration. Since the bait ban, I've never chucked lures and only used a fly rod, however I wouldn't bring only "Big" crankbaits (rapalas). I would try smaller ones before big ones, unless it was run off.
I would use some thin fluorocarbon, like 8 pound, which could get expensive since snags are inevitable. Myself, I would take off the front treble hook, and maybe replace the rear with a single hook. I'd pinch the barbs unless you don't mind losing a few.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:43 PM

You can also use flies with a spin rod/reel. SJW (San Juan Worms), Hares ear, Prince nymphs are my goto flies. tie a SJW on and add a split shot about 10" above it. Add weight till you feel it bounce on bottom. You can tie a line from the hook of the SWJ to another fly with no more than 12" of line.
Find a spot thats at the end of riffle, and drift the rig as natural as possible down the seam, where you can imagine debris concentrating. Try a spot for a few mins, then take a few steps up and try again. Start at the end of where you want to fish. And try to keep a low profile, Trout spook super easy.
Even small jigs will work, or small spinners. I'd hit the fishin hole, or talk to the guys at BPS fly section, or any fly shop. Waders are a big asset.
Good luck

PS, if you see anyone with a static line, or you know is using bait, call Report a Poacher. You'll get a reward if they come bust them. Or if you want you can try to educate them, but that rarely works. Also, even scented baits, like power baits are banned. Theres a window of time in the summer, on certain stretches you can use maggots, but thats usually July if memory serves me right.

Last edited by PlayDoh; 03-19-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
You can also use flies with a spin rod/reel. SJW (San Juan Worms), Hares ear, Prince nymphs are my goto flies. tie a SJW on and add a split shot about 10" above it. Add weight till you feel it bounce on bottom. You can tie a line from the hook of the SWJ to another fly with no more than 12" of line.
Find a spot thats at the end of riffle, and drift the rig as natural as possible down the seam, where you can imagine debris concentrating. Try a spot for a few mins, then take a few steps up and try again. Start at the end of where you want to fish. And try to keep a low profile, Trout spook super easy.
Even small jigs will work, or small spinners. I'd hit the fishin hole, or talk to the guys at BPS fly section, or any fly shop. Waders are a big asset.
Good luck

PS, if you see anyone with a static line, or you know is using bait, call Report a Poacher. You'll get a reward if they come bust them. Or if you want you can try to educate them, but that rarely works. Also, even scented baits, like power baits are banned. Theres a window of time in the summer, on certain stretches you can use maggots, but thats usually July if memory serves me right.
Thanks! Greatly appreciated

Tags
bow river, oceanaddikt