Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Banned

Default Bow River in Canmore - Spray

Hey,

Just moved to Canmore from October through mid April. Know nothing about fishing around here. Any advise would be appreciated. Tks

I'm just going to by a cheap pole and reel for now at Canadian Tire. I was told at the local Sporting Goods store that the fish around Canmore in the Bow are small and this time of year they are spawning and lethargic. Any chance of catching anything in the Bow right now? Any size or are they all small up here? Will it end mid November? Why? Too cold of water? Is there any decent access to walk the shore and hit some holes? I assume Banff park is closed to fishing in the Bow? So open is from the park down the last Canmore overpass on the highway? Would you use spinners? Type? Color? Size? 8 lbs line?

I was told to go up to the Spray and fish off the shore there for Lake Trout....? He said just throw spoons at them and I should do alright. Any info on this? I've only been up there once when it was frozen. Are there roads up to the lake or will I be hiking some? Bears?

Thanks for any info around Canmore of where to fish and what you'd do if you were me. Assume I know nothing so any basic info is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2014, 05:48 PM

Take that Bike path along the side of the highway North of town. When you are able to, Cut over towards the river (west). Go at least 1/3 mile upstream on the path because the bank is nothing but a steep drop off/cliff until then. Many excellent holes and channels in there. Double check the regs, I am not sure when the river closes in that area.

The last week or so, there have been a few vehicles parked as far north as they can go from town and I think they are probably bow hunting in the area, so maybe wear some orange.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 10-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Banned

Thanks.

Would you use spinners?
Any particular colors or style?
8 lbs test fine?
Bears?
Old 10-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Banned

For line, the smallest you can get away with is always best... I use 6 lb or even 4 mono. For spinners, the old original panther martin with red dots on yellow body/silver blade (sz 12/10) has always been my favorite.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSiBuck View Post
Hey,

Just moved to Canmore from October through mid April. Know nothing about fishing around here. Any advise would be appreciated. Tks

I'm just going to by a cheap pole and reel for now at Canadian Tire. I was told at the local Sporting Goods store that the fish around Canmore in the Bow are small and this time of year they are spawning and lethargic. Any chance of catching anything in the Bow right now? Any size or are they all small up here? Will it end mid November? Why? Too cold of water? Is there any decent access to walk the shore and hit some holes? I assume Banff park is closed to fishing in the Bow? So open is from the park down the last Canmore overpass on the highway? Would you use spinners? Type? Color? Size? 8 lbs line?

I was told to go up to the Spray and fish off the shore there for Lake Trout....? He said just throw spoons at them and I should do alright. Any info on this? I've only been up there once when it was frozen. Are there roads up to the lake or will I be hiking some? Bears?

Thanks for any info around Canmore of where to fish and what you'd do if you were me. Assume I know nothing so any basic info is appreciated.

Thanks
id prefer using smelts, real and more likely to catch somethin. Good luck, can you tell me the gravel road conditions?
Old 10-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Banned

Going up to Spray this morning the gravel road just past the Nordic Center where you start up the hill is really choppy, bumpy and chewed up! Unfortunately I drove my mom up here and only have her 1995 Range Rover which she calls Daisy, she was with me and made me turn around. Lots of cars going up the hill though. No big deal for anyone who with a car from this century and willing to accept the chatter of your tires bouncing on the washboard. Not for an 80 year old mom who is overly protective of her Daisy.

p.s. I'll be the guy at the bottom of the hill with his arm out, thumb up and a pole in his hand. LOL
Old 10-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Banned

Haven't been on any other gravel roads yet....will buy pole and go fishing tomorrow morning. Will let you know how I do and what I see.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:42 PM

also id bring bear spray if i were you. Make sure to bring some lakers for your mom to enjoy n eat, Good Luck!
Old 10-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Banned

Just did the Bow today in Canmore around town to make my 1'st Bow fishing experience a non-eventful one. lol

After putting on the new line on my new reel and pole I spent the next 1/2 hour after the 3'rd cast untangling the rats nest tangle on my reel. I just cut it after giving up.

Found some decent holes a little down river and caught 1 brown trout about 13" long. Released.

Good enough to get my feet wet in the area. Will now search out some better major holes and bigger fish.

Talked to some people and the Sway road up the mountain is crappola...washboard....dusty....worthy of a pave job!
Old 10-12-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSiBuck View Post
Just did the Bow today in Canmore around town to make my 1'st Bow fishing experience a non-eventful one. lol

After putting on the new line on my new reel and pole I spent the next 1/2 hour after the 3'rd cast untangling the rats nest tangle on my reel. I just cut it after giving up.

Found some decent holes a little down river and caught 1 brown trout about 13" long. Released.

Good enough to get my feet wet in the area. Will now search out some better major holes and bigger fish.

Talked to some people and the Sway road up the mountain is crappola...washboard....dusty....worthy of a pave job!
nice you were using spinners? Only spin fished the river once. The upper bow fishing is really good
Old 10-12-2014, 04:36 PM

Birds nest on a spin caster is either from too much line or the line not tight enough when you put it on.

tight lines and enjoy

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 10-12-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
Birds nest on a spin caster is either from too much line or the line not tight enough when you put it on.

tight lines and enjoy
x2 run spool under warm water, as mono line tends to coil alot and has lots of memory
Old 10-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Banned

Yes, I put the line on myself by the side of the road after purchasing it all at Canadian Tire moments earlier. I know for sure I didn't get it on as tight as I wanted as for some reason the spool had 2 ends. At first I chose the wrong one apparently and couldn't get more than 50 yards on the reel. Stripped it all off and started over. Then while the spool was inside the car and I was outside the car and putting on the second round of line....the spool got all tangled. Had to start over again. Third attempt by this time I was ****ed and having to go pee. I forgot to thread the line through the eyelet (2 piece pole) and had to put tension on the line with my fingers. Yes it went on loose and I paid for it a few moments later!

I started out with a Panther Martin, yellow with red dots spinner and nothing. Later switched to white Rooster Tail with white feathers on single hook, silver blade....got him 3 casts later in the middle of slow moving water just outside a faster seem.

Will search out some better holes and try out different colors over the next few days. Water is clear and looks good. No reason some larger fish aren't in the bigger holes and seems.

Will report back....
Old 10-12-2014, 07:47 PM

small buzz bombs actually work great in that river. U just jig them across the bottom/current. buy some bear spray eh
Old 10-12-2014, 07:58 PM
Banned

Thanks! I kinda was thinking the same but doubted myself. Will give it go and report back.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:02 PM
Banned

Bear spray was $40....I bought a marine / sport horn for $10. The guy at Canadian Tire said you only need the spray if they are charging. Yikes! Horn Horn Horn...please go away bear. LOL
Old 10-12-2014, 08:56 PM
Banned

Dont give up on that Panther M... it will earn it's keep.

Tags
bow river, canmore, spray