Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-07-2018, 10:04 AM

Default Stolen trail cam

Well thanks to whoever went through the trouble of breaking my trail cam just to get it off the python lock I had on it. Had my camera set up in 347 to watch a nice game trail to come back and see someone stole it. Not much good when you can't strap it to a tree now *******.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:33 AM

I run 15 of them put them where no one will find them not always the best spot that's better than getting stolen

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2018, 12:19 PM

I don’t bother with locks anymore. It’s just another item that they wreck or steal. Or it may save them cutting down trees for no good reason. I use cheap cameras that I can afford to replace if I have to.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:51 PM

I am still amazed at the number of cams that get stolen in crown land. I can see areas close to cities that have open wmu's, farm land patches of bush where thiefs can assume a camera may be and not have to travel far to look around but back in the woods means our fellow hunters are scummy to say the least. Who else would find trail cams in the back woods.

Mine always go on a old cutline and back 100 yrds on a game trail so you can't spot it from the line. And I'm careful not to make a trail in the grass or snow when going to check. So far so good but I did have my tree stand foot pegs stolen out of a tree once, also took my harness & misc gear that I had in a plastic pail hidden under all the branches I cut down for sight lines.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I am still amazed at the number of cams that get stolen in crown land. I can see areas close to cities that have open wmu's, farm land patches of bush where thiefs can assume a camera may be and not have to travel far to look around but back in the woods means our fellow hunters are scummy to say the least. Who else would find trail cams in the back woods.

Mine always go on a old cutline and back 100 yrds on a game trail so you can't spot it from the line. And I'm careful not to make a trail in the grass or snow when going to check. So far so good but I did have my tree stand foot pegs stolen out of a tree once, also took my harness & misc gear that I had in a plastic pail hidden under all the branches I cut down for sight lines.
Actually I am amazed more are not stolen!!!
Old 06-07-2018, 03:37 PM

I thought I had it in a good place. Walk in spot only on a steep hill. Guess it was not good enough. I was hoping to figure out the elks routine a bit better this year as I've have yet to catch or call one during hunting time. This takes the wind out of my sails a bit
Old 06-07-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Actually I am amazed more are not stolen!!!

All the cams that have been stolen over the past couple years is astronomically amazing. Cams that have been secured good whether on crown and private lands. During the falls there was a post or three a week about a cam being stolen. I'm sure lots of cam owners mark their cams for ID. So where the heck are all these cams going? Are they showing up anywhere? Are they being used somewhere else or sitting in the crack dealers basements? Are the stolen cams showing up in pawn shops?

I'm thinking cams should come with a door requiring a combination plus a key to open. And a fluorescent pink india ink packet and a flash bang inside so if someone tries to open the cam without knowing the combination to deactivate the cam the pink ink & flash bang will deploy. Would take a few weeks for the pink dye to wear off of a thieves face. The flash bang would just be for fun. Blind and deafen the pink faced bugger for a few minutes where ever they are when they try to open the stolen cam.

Internal tracking chips inside of the trail cams would solve lots of the thefts too. A chip that runs on an independant watch battery internally. An app linked to satellite or tower communications to track if it goes missing.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-08-2018, 06:09 AM

Why would the camera companies want to do that the more that get stolen the more cameras they sell. it's good business for them I guess. My first two cameras were very expensive that got stolen now I just buy the $75 ones

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2018, 07:45 AM

I am still amazed at the number of cams that get stolen in crown land.

I don't steal game cams, but they are offensive to me, on Crown land, no different than finding a beer can on the trail. The work of the lazy, trying to get one up on everyone else, not what Hunting should be about. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Grizz
Old 06-08-2018, 08:09 AM

Mine have never been stolen but between myself and my boys checking them and moving them we have lost a couple by just forgetting where they were put lol.
If the batteries lasted decently they will have a pile of pics on them.
Im sure i will have an Aha , Oh Yeah ! Moment when i find them again..
Old 06-08-2018, 09:05 AM

Are you sure it wasn’t a bear? I’ve had similar encounters and found my trail cam destroyed just down the game trail by a bear. The smaller cams fit in their mouth quite nicely.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hang'em high out of eye sight and reach of the common thief.
Also moose don't play with them either.
Have not lost one since started that technique.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-14-2018, 07:51 AM

I have some cheap China cams and they take pics of nothing and forget to take pictures of something. Worthless compared to my cheap Browning and Moultrie cameras. I after dozens of placements I have learned that I cannot trust they will do their job.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:53 AM

I bought mine on Amazon based on the reviews

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...=1S2SPS1MMJ9S9
Old 06-22-2018, 03:40 PM

Sucks to have your camera stolen for sure. I lost one too, although it may have been a bear.

I’m actually surprised we’re still allowed to use them anyways. I mean, how are they really any different than using a drone? Especially the cell phone models...

Best thing that could happen is if the Goobermant bans them for everyone. Well, except treaty card holders, they should still be allowed their use...
Old 06-22-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Sucks to have your camera stolen for sure. I lost one too, although it may have been a bear.

I’m actually surprised we’re still allowed to use them anyways. I mean, how are they really any different than using a drone? Especially the cell phone models...

Best thing that could happen is if the Goobermant bans them for everyone. Well, except treaty card holders, they should still be allowed their use...
drones can be used real time to scout vast areas

treaty cards should be abolished as well.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:00 PM

Default Camofire Trailcams

I got a couple off of Camofire's trailcam Tuesday...they were refurbished Stealthcams but they seem to work fine. Worth checking out, even with the exchange and shipping, they were only $60 a camera. PX12's off the top of my head.