Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
And what, sit at home and twiddle my thumbs, maybe take up knitting?

I prefer moose and elk to beef, plus it's healthier. My wife grew up on wild meat, and also prefers it over beef. The kids eat what we cook. Just because I'm white doesn't mean hunting isn't a tradition that has been handed down to me, and is being handed down to my sons. Hunting and fishing is as much a part of our life if not more a part of our life than most modern day treaty Indian families.

Interesting statement. Im metis.... Started hunting last year at 43 years old. Everyone in my family has hunted as a way of life since before 1700 In Canada.

I received my Metis harvesting rights this year after jumping through a lot of hoops.

I bought my wildlife certificate and all my tags tags this year as well and will continue to do so.

Around 1880 the government starved out most of my ancestors by not living up to the treaty that they made. Closed the reserve. Sold off the land. And carted them off to other reserves or just took away their native status and rights...... Oh well that was more than a couple of years ago wasn't it!

"Hunting and fishing is as much a part of our life if not more a part of our life than most modern day treaty Indian families."

Seriously..... You have done the research and know the statistics?

Or have you just interviewed most of the native families in Canada so that you are justified in that statement....... I mean know one would just whip that line out of their arse without knowing the facts and having information to back it up?

I mean it would almost be as absurd as me making the following comments!
I really like sushi.... sushi eating is as much a part of my life if not more a part of my life than most modern day japanese families.

I really like chinese food.... chinese food eating is as much a part of my life if not more a part of my life than most modern day chinese families.

I really like mexican food. Mexican food eating is as much a part of my life if not more a part of my life than most modern day mexican families.

"Hunting and fishing is as much a part of our life if not more a part of our life than most modern day treaty Indian families."

You just said that hunting is more a part of your life than it is for MOST MODERN DAY NATIVES!

Whats next? You want all year hunting and no restrictions?

Wheres the line start?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:46 PM

Default Mb-Mbr

I get that the white man committed atrocities in Residential schools, etc. Man, if that happened to me or my family I would seek recourse. I believe some of those claims have been restituted and also believe more will be. I also believe that way after the fact on behalf of all Canadians PM Harper apologised to those that suffered so much.However, being 5th generation Canadian of Irish heritage does not give me the right to go blow up or hold hostage ( financially or hunting priveleges) some English Protestant!!! Unfortunately what our ancestors on both sides agreed to so long ago is not very relevant today
Old 10-22-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I know a father and son who in one year shot a grizzly bear, 200" mule deer, two billy goats, two trophy sheep off a mine, two trophy antelope and a couple of cats behind hounds under the guise of subsistence hunting. I don't know how anyone educated enough to log onto this forum can argue that this sort of activity is sustainable.

Its not sustainable and its complete and utter crap. If its true I sure as hell hope they get nailed for something! ANYTHING!!!

But then theirs always rotten apples in every crowd. Surprisingly enough their are few natives that ever get caught for poaching!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Lucky for you hey?

Well, I see you want change and I'm trying my best to point you and Elkhunter and others in the right direction.

The change you gents are looking for is not going to happen on this forum or any other forum for that matter.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
I get that the white man committed atrocities in Residential schools, etc. Man, if that happened to me or my family I would seek recourse. I believe some of those claims have been restituted and also believe more will be. I also believe that way after the fact on behalf of all Canadians PM Harper apologised to those that suffered so much.However, being 5th generation Canadian of Irish heritage does not give me the right to go blow up or hold hostage ( financially or hunting priveleges) some English Protestant!!! Unfortunately what our ancestors on both sides agreed to so long ago is not very relevant today
I disagree and so does the constitution of this country. It is very relevant and as I stated previously, protected by the Constitution circa 1982. And supported by at least 200 Supreme Court decisions over the years.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
We have a government that continues to grant more and more special rights and privileges to groups based on race or religion, so it is extremely unlikely that all Canadians will ever have equal rights and privileges. The only exception would be if civilization as we know it came to an end, and it became every man for himself, then we would all be equal, because nobody would have any rights.

Given that licenses are required, only a few species are allowed, and the game allowed to be harvested is dependent on game populations, this has very little if anything in common with the native hunting rights.
True. But it is almost the exact same as Metis harvesting rights. In fact it is better. Metis rights are tied to a community and the area around it. This opens up the whole province to anyone..... Including those brand new to Canada.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdelle View Post
Interesting statement. Im metis.... Started hunting last year at 43 years old. Everyone in my family has hunted as a way of life since before 1700 In Canada.

I received my Metis harvesting rights this year after jumping through a lot of hoops.

I bought my wildlife certificate and all my tags tags this year as well and will continue to do so.

Around 1880 the government starved out most of my ancestors by not living up to the treaty that they made. Closed the reserve. Sold off the land. And carted them off to other reserves or just took away their native status and rights...... Oh well that was more than a couple of years ago wasn't it!

Seriously..... You have done the research and know the statistics?

Or have you just interviewed most of the native families in Canada so that you are justified in that statement....... I mean know one would just whip that line out of their arse without knowing the facts and having information to back it up?

I mean it would almost be as absurd as me making the following comments!
I really like sushi.... sushi eating is as much a part of my life if not more a part of my life than most modern day japanese families.

I really like chinese food.... chinese food eating is as much a part of my life if not more a part of my life than most modern day chinese families.

I really like mexican food. Mexican food eating is as much a part of my life if not more a part of my life than most modern day mexican families.

You just said that hunting is more a part of your life than it is for MOST MODERN DAY NATIVES!

Whats next? You want all year hunting and no restrictions?

Wheres the line start?
I'm sorry, I don't remember our interview where you found out what hunting means to my family, don't remember you looking in my freezer or in my house to see what it looks like.

You have no clue, and obviously no clue as to where I stand on this issue. Maybe read my posts and get back to me on your assumptions.

I for the life of me can't understand how someone can whine about something that happened hundreds of years ago, to people they never met, by people they never met, and want to hold someone responsible for it today. It's absolutely crazy.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Well, I see you want change and I'm trying my best to point you and Elkhunter and others in the right direction.

The change you gents are looking for is not going to happen on this forum or any other forum for that matter.
Great news Mb-MBR, 12 pages in and we agree on something!

It's a start anyway.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't remember our interview where you found out what hunting means to my family, don't remember you looking in my freezer or in my house to see what it looks like.

You have no clue, and obviously no clue as to where I stand on this issue. Maybe read my posts and get back to me on your assumptions.

I for the life of me can't understand how someone can whine about something that happened hundreds of years ago, to people they never met, by people they never met, and want to hold someone responsible for it today. It's absolutely crazy.
Did I whine? I said that was a long time ago wasnt it. I did not ask for anything! Im not holding anyone responsible. Its a fact thats all.

Im sorry! But the fact that I did not interview you means my statements are complete and utter Garbage. Im Sorry about that and I might agree. However your rebuttle seems to imply that you did do the interviews and have the statistics. Care to share them with us?

But really nice try at a shot across the bow to change the subject.

You made a stupid comment that you have no evidence to back up! I really have no problem with that at all. In fact I do it all the time.

I feel that most of this debate is complete and utter garbage by the way. It is what it is. Nothing will change.

Hell we cant even get out leaders to do what they said they were going to do 10 minutes ago let alone agree on a course of action on a subject from 100 or 200 years ago.

There is only one place in North America that handled the Native Issue Correctly.... Alaska. Heres your money. Were done!!!!!

I think thats what Canada needs to do. Heres XXX Billion. Were Done. Bugger off. Make it or break it. Forget this nickel and dime stuff( Huge nickels and dimes!!!! Estimated between 10 and 25 Billion a year I read.)

For the people that Bitch and whine about native corruption!!!! Are you serious? Every heard of Brian Mulroney? Stephen Harper Or Mike Duffy??? Or maybe Bombardier? CN Rail? Enmax? Direct Energy? Atco? Fortis. Shaw Cable? Bell? Telus? ect ect ect.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Well entitlement goes both ways, the governments think they're entitled to act the way they do with the resources of this land, which they acquired through the Treaties. That is where they derive ownership of this land, nowhere else.
not true. the crown negotiators made it very clear to the indians that the land was claimed by the crown treaty or no. i have read treaty 11 and 8 they are quite similar. the indians in the 70s were right when they said these treaties were worthless except as to how the govt would like to honour them until the courts started propping them up in the indians favour. every right confered in the treaties is there until the govt says it isnt anymore for reasons they decide. there are parts saying non treaty people must be allowed to go about their activities unmolested on treaty land. what does this mean today? its unspecified but obviously not interpreted in non native favour. they also say the govt will not undertake to support indians in idleness but as citizens they have a right to welfare but the treaties were not signed with citizens they were signed with indians.. my point is the treaties are outdated and could be as easily interpreted completely against the indians if the political climate changed.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Did I whine? I said that was a long time ago wasnt it. I did not ask for anything! Im not holding anyone responsible. Its a fact thats all.

Im sorry! But the fact that I did not interview you means my statements are complete and utter Garbage. Im Sorry about that and I might agree. However your rebuttle seems to imply that you did do the interviews and have the statistics. Care to share them with us?

But really nice try at a shot across the bow to change the subject.

You made a stupid comment that you have no evidence to back up! I really have no problem with that at all. In fact I do it all the time.

I feel that most of this debate is complete and utter garbage by the way. It is what it is. Nothing will change.

Hell we cant even get out leaders to do what they said they were going to do 10 minutes ago let alone agree on a course of action on a subject from 100 or 200 years ago.

There is only one place in North America that handled the Native Issue Correctly.... Alaska. Heres your money. Were done!!!!!

I think thats what Canada needs to do. Heres XXX Billion. Were Done. Bugger off. Make it or break it. Forget this nickel and dime stuff( Huge nickels and dimes!!!! Estimated between 10 and 25 Billion a year I read.)

For the people that Bitch and whine about native corruption!!!! Are you serious? Every heard of Brian Mulroney? Stephen Harper Or Mike Duffy??? Or maybe Bombardier? CN Rail? Enmax? Direct Energy? Atco? Fortis. Shaw Cable? Bell? Telus? ect ect ect.
I made my statement about hunting being a bigger part of my life based on the Indians I know and grew up with. I distinctly remember when I was in highschool and had asked my friend Thomas how long it took him to gut and quarter a moose. His response was "I've never gutted a moose but my sister hit one with a car a couple years ago". He lived in Janvier. Times have changed, how many hunters do you think come out of Hobbema?

I have offered moose meat to an Indian friend, he said "I don't eat that stuff" but he kills big bucks all the time, go figure.

I apologize for implying you were whining about the past, it is a tactic used by many to keep the money train rolling tho.

I never said I want unlimited hunting privledges, I never said I want treaty rights taken from Indians, I've said all along I just want the current treaty agreement brought up to date and suggested a few sensible, realistic and fair amendments in regards to hunting privledges.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
However, being 5th generation Canadian of Irish heritage does not give me the right to go blow up or hold hostage ( financially or hunting priveleges) some English Protestant!!!
I don't know , you might have a case and the right (financially or blow up privileges) because it was the early methodist and protestant missionaries that were mediators and interpreters during treaty talks. The protestant missionaries translated and convinced both sides of certain treaty talks to reason. Some of the chiefs took days to talk about treaty conditions before signing, even considering the future.... "as long as the sun shines and as long as the waters flow". The native elders did not take it lightly. And lot of the times missionaries mediated the treaty process.

There is an 'old' saying, "Funny how when the missionaries came... the natives had the land and the whites had the bible. Then the natives embraced the bible and the whites had the land . Good trick"
Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyboy View Post
It amazes me we have given the indians billions upon billions of dollars, maybe it's in the trillions now I don't know, but can one of the indians on here please explain to me why their race is still in such disarray. I've heard the"It's the white man's fault!" argument for far too long so please can someone in the know give me the real answer.

I would be embarassed to sit there and rape and pillage the taxpayer for money only to turnaround and blame them for their problems. It is disgraceful to say the very least. Get over it already indians, get to work and contribute to society like the rest of us.
Read some of the posts in this thread and the other threads pretaining to this. Why do you think the Indians on this board are unemployed? How would we afford Internet or iPhones to be on this forum??I would be embarrassed to be you if I were you. Most native people are employed if you didn't know.
So now that you've recieved a little education, I will give you some free advice. Think before you speak or type. It's not that hard to pause for a moment.
Oh yeah I would outwork you any day of the week and I likeky have paid more taxes in my life than you have earned in total. Run along young fella.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:19 AM

I wonder if there is any point continuing with this thread. Most of us are simple roughnecks and we are here debating constitutional law. There are probably only a couple of AO members that actually understand the history leading up to the signing of the treaties, the legal implications flowing from them and the process and feasibility of amending them. We might as well be debating quantum physics. For example, there is lot of talk on this thread about Indian subsistence hunting. The word subsistence does not appear anywhere in the treaties I have read. Maybe we should stick with things we have some knowledge of. As a side note, I am very pleased with the number of Indians and Metis members that have contributed to this thread. I am not a regular here but I think the number of them that weighed in on this debate is unusual. Good job guys.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:36 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Read some of the posts in this thread and the other threads pretaining to this. Why do you think the Indians on this board are unemployed? How would we afford Internet or iPhones to be on this forum??I would be embarrassed to be you if I were you. Most native people are employed if you didn't know.
So now that you've recieved a little education, I will give you some free advice. Think before you speak or type. It's not that hard to pause for a moment.
Oh yeah I would outwork you any day of the week and I likeky have paid more taxes in my life than you have earned in total. Run along young fella.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:43 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchap22 View Post
Its flat out BS that these treaty rights exist in today's world. I know there are lots of idiot whites that poach and a lot never get caught but i also know for a fact and have seen it first hand what natives do and the waste they leave behind. You can't sit there and tell me that natives now a days have any more right to hunt and fish when ever they damn well feel like than i do. They have grown up with every opportunity to prosper in today's society. I have an endless amount of respect for the game i hunt and all wildlife for that matter. Would me and my buddies go out and shoot a truck load of elk or moose or deer just for the hell of it, absolutely not. I shot an elk last year and shared it with three other families and still have elk left over and i ate it at least once or twice a week. I don't have a problem with natives not buying tags but definitely agree with monitoring their harvests. Go shoot a doe, cow, or anything that doesn't have horns or antlers cause last time i checked they don't taste that great. There are so many things wrong with the treaty rights that it does need to be re-vamped but its not gonna happen on this site as you can see. Equal rights and equal opportunity for everyone should be the standard across the board.
JMO
Which is it? Your are saying treaty rights are BS....... but are also saying you dont have a problem with it as long as it doesnt have antlers?..lol
Old 10-23-2013, 05:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm all for opening up the Treaties because there are a lot of issues I want addressed as well, like ceding title to all the land, I think I'll lobby for ceding of lets say 35 percent. The rest I want back to do with as we please. I'll also lobby that we Indians can only hunt on the non ceded land. you can have the rest.
I lobby that the treaties are enforced. To the letter. Without exception. Here is your 5 dollars, here is your new suit, here is your gov appointed indian agent. Want to go to town? Better get his permission. After about 6 months of living by the letter of the treaty you would fall under you would be back, pleading to renegotiate with your hat in your hand my friend. The treaties were negotiated by the crown from a position of power and were implemented from that position for many many years. Only for the last 30 years or so have we (White Canada) enforced them with a vision of helping the native population up. But by reading the posts on this forum I would guess that the ride is just about over. Dont mistake kindness for weakness.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
http://www4.hrsdc.gc.ca/.3ndic.1t.4r...jsp?iid=16#M_4

http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recen...ble/t7-eng.cfm

Alberta's unemployment rate is 4.5%. The Aboriginal national average is 15%. Indians on the reserve have an unemployment rate of over 23%.

Alberta is the hardest working province in Canada, maybe that is why there is very little tolerance for groups not pulling their weight here.

Trophyboy shouldn't be the one embarrassed...
Old 10-23-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhawk View Post
I wonder if there is any point continuing with this thread. Most of us are simple roughnecks and we are here debating constitutional law. There are probably only a couple of AO members that actually understand the history leading up to the signing of the treaties, the legal implications flowing from them and the process and feasibility of amending them. We might as well be debating quantum physics. For example, there is lot of talk on this thread about Indian subsistence hunting. The word subsistence does not appear anywhere in the treaties I have read. Maybe we should stick with things we have some knowledge of. As a side note, I am very pleased with the number of Indians and Metis members that have contributed to this thread. I am not a regular here but I think the number of them that weighed in on this debate is unusual. Good job guys.
its just politics now not to be left to experts. the treaties have been treated as symbolic by the courts and politicians there is no way we can actually go by the treaties they already knew that in the 60s when they made them citizens. natives want the money they believe their land is generating but the land is not generating the money canadians are
Old 10-23-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
http://www4.hrsdc.gc.ca/.3ndic.1t.4r...jsp?iid=16#M_4

http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recen...ble/t7-eng.cfm

Alberta's unemployment rate is 4.5%. The Aboriginal national average is 15%. Indians on the reserve have an unemployment rate of over 23%.

Alberta is the hardest working province in Canada, maybe that is why there is very little tolerance for groups not pulling their weight here.

Trophyboy shouldn't be the one embarrassed...
Good try but add another to the list in the car with big shoes and polka dots. Trophyboy implied that Indians don't work which by your links (thx btw) shows that many do. I would be embarrassed to have "little tolerance for groups" I don't group anybody but welfare bums, pedophiles and bigots.
So I'm not embarrassed that some of my race haven't quite gotten along with integrating and moving on. Many have, in fact it appears the majority have. I've lived and worked with white people my entire life and have gotten along well with most of them, disagreements were not racial but personal. A few bad apples doesn't ruin the bunch. Aww shucks I like 99% of you guys
Old 10-23-2013, 07:25 AM
Banned

^^^^^

http://www.ccsd.ca/cpsd/ccsd/c_ab.htm

Quote:
Aboriginal people are also significantly over-represented as offenders in the Canadian criminal justice system. Incarceration rates of Aboriginal people are five to six times higher than the national average. Statistics from Correctional Service Canada show that while Aboriginal people represent only 2.8% of the Canadian population, they account for 18% of those who are incarcerated in federal institutions. In the Prairie provinces, 50% of prisoners are Aboriginals.
I think there is a problem here that some just don't seem to acknowledge. The first step to solving these problems are admitting they exist. And that isn't being done on here. Its really too bad as the gap is continuing to widen imo.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchap22 View Post
This is a ridiculous statement and if you honestly think this is the way the majority thinks then you have been miss informed. I have a couple of friends that are full native and they do very well for themselves and provide for their families. I have never once for a second been jealous of the fact that they are doing so well or whine to others about it. Personally i respect them more because they have the balls not to be a freeloader and go out and make a life for themselves. They do hunt and understand the aspect of game management and what buying tags actually does for the management of our wildlife.
There are a lot of "us" that do that today, you know two. But somehow we all get lumped into one category whenever this discussion comes up.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
I lobby that the treaties are enforced. To the letter. Without exception. Here is your 5 dollars, here is your new suit, here is your gov appointed indian agent. Want to go to town? Better get his permission. After about 6 months of living by the letter of the treaty you would fall under you would be back, pleading to renegotiate with your hat in your hand my friend. The treaties were negotiated by the crown from a position of power and were implemented from that position for many many years. Only for the last 30 years or so have we (White Canada) enforced them with a vision of helping the native population up. But by reading the posts on this forum I would guess that the ride is just about over. Dont mistake kindness for weakness.
Another misinformed person. It was not the Treaties that stipulated the items you listed, it was the Indian Act. Do you know why it was created? To keep the Indian under the Indian Agents thumb, Indians were prosperous farmers, gathers, harvesters and were doing quite well in marketing their goods to the new comers. This had a negative effect on the new comers that were trying to create trade when they first arrived so the Government of day saw fit to create the Indian ACt which prohibited an Indian from selling his goods to a white person, they could only buy sell or trade with another Indian, could not vote until 1960, could not advance in the military fighting for this country unless he renounced his status, if an Indian woman married a non status would lose her status along with all of her kids.

If we were ever to come back to the table to renegotiate, I guarantee it will not be capo in hand!!!! We speak your language now, understand your ways and greed. It would be a different ball game. Just ask the First nations in B.C with their modern day Treaty process.

I heed your warnings but the same should go to you, do not mistake the dire strait of the Indian as weakness. A cornered dog is not something to be taken lightly.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
not true. the crown negotiators made it very clear to the indians that the land was claimed by the crown treaty or no. i have read treaty 11 and 8 they are quite similar. the indians in the 70s were right when they said these treaties were worthless except as to how the govt would like to honour them until the courts started propping them up in the indians favour. every right confered in the treaties is there until the govt says it isnt anymore for reasons they decide. there are parts saying non treaty people must be allowed to go about their activities unmolested on treaty land. what does this mean today? its unspecified but obviously not interpreted in non native favour. they also say the govt will not undertake to support indians in idleness but as citizens they have a right to welfare but the treaties were not signed with citizens they were signed with indians.. my point is the treaties are outdated and could be as easily interpreted completely against the indians if the political climate changed.
Could have been a good prior to the Constitution Act of 1982.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:46 AM

Old 10-23-2013, 08:52 AM

All this argument about hunting rights is not good, while both sides need to become one against the outsider that doesn't eat pork and thinks that beef is a god and soon will change the rules in this beautiful country we live
Old 10-23-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I'm Metis and very aware of my harvesting rights but this statement is really confusing to me. I was unaware that there were hoops to jump through and that anybody was giving harvesting rights away by jumping through hoops.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceba View Post
I'm Metis and very aware of my harvesting rights but this statement is really confusing to me. I was unaware that there were hoops to jump through and that anybody was giving harvesting rights away by jumping through hoops.
Sounds like a skills test.......
Old 10-23-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I disagree and so does the constitution of this country. It is very relevant and as I stated previously, protected by the Constitution circa 1982. And supported by at least 200 Supreme Court decisions over the years.
Its only relevant in the eyes of those that love nothing more than to pout, get their way and then continue to be a drain on the wildlife that this country has to offer.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyboy View Post
It amazes me we have given the indians billions upon billions of dollars, maybe it's in the trillions now I don't know, but can one of the indians on here please explain to me why their race is still in such disarray. I've heard the"It's the white man's fault!" argument for far too long so please can someone in the know give me the real answer.

I would be embarassed to sit there and rape and pillage the taxpayer for money only to turnaround and blame them for their problems. It is disgraceful to say the very least. Get over it already indians, get to work and contribute to society like the rest of us.
OK, I guess we can throw out the "were just talking about hunting issues" guise hey? It's now ok to just spout off about all the things that you don;t like about native people?
Here's a point to ponder about the difference between the WE and THEY:

Think of where your great grand parents lived, then think of where your great grand children might live. If the answer to both is Alberta or Western Canada, then congrats! You have a strong attachment to this place! Most of us however have family from far away and our offspring will follow the jobs and opportunities where ever they go.
My point is this, once the Alberta resource economy starts to wane most people will move on. Maybe some of the first nations people will too, but the native people who have occupied this land for so many generations will still have a presence here. We are temporary residents, they are permanent. The same rules shouldn't apply to both groups.

And another thing, you make it sound like the federal government just benevolently gave/ gives first nations all kinds of cash. Well there isn't another group of people in Canada who have had to live under such a level of control by our fed gov't. And it isn't as if that model has worked out so well over the years has it? You think that first nations communities have access to the same level of health and education as the rest of us? What about their ability to affect the development or lack of, of the natural resources that sit within a territory that their ancestors have been using for many generations? What about the fact that when the treaties were signed, whole bands were left out of treaties! Ever hear of the Lubicon Cree??? Did you know that they weren't even considered "indians" by our dear federal government until the mid 20th century? Because no one thought to invite them to the treaty 6 signing! What about the overtly racist practices of our government on exactly who is/was considered an "indian" when it came to mixed mairages. But no, you're right. The federal gov't was just throwing money at first nation people since the treaties were signed. Boy did we get ripped off hey? All we got was 98% of the land, and all the natural resources, and the ability to impose our values, write all the laws, as well as the ability to take what little scraps the treaties entitle people to away if the spirit moves us! Yeah you're right, it's just not fair how the indians behave!

Sheesh, can we go back to talking about hunting please?
Closed Thread