Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-07-2021, 08:28 PM

Default Sylvan 2021 - Fall Whites - Season Ender

BTY fall afternoon, 14C light wind, only a few boats out. Was out on Norglenwold area at 2:30 stayed till 4:00, Mr White was active in 6-10 fow, caught 8 kept 5, no Walleye or Pike, fun day. Got 3 more weeks before the season ends here.

A few pic's ...... enjoy!

D.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 10-07-2021 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:02 PM

Wow great job and pics. Thanks for sharing. Looks like very good eating there

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2021, 09:23 PM

was the secret mojo a red wire worm?

Drewski
Old 10-08-2021, 10:53 AM

Drewski .... I don't use W/W's in open water, have more success with 1/32 oz micro jigs & Mr. Twister tails drifting and fan casting areas with rock & rubble structure in 6-10 FOW. I let the jig sink then work/swim the jig back towards me, at times bouncing off the bottom which helps trigger a strike. Mr. White normally hits them on the drop, I have a very sensitive G. Loomis walleye rod that detects the lightest hits & you need to be quick to set the hook or they're gone.

Unless your anchored, W/W's need to sit perfectly horizontal & that's a bit difficult to do even with a bobber and a drop line to get them down into the productive zone which I find is 10 to 14" off the bottom. If it's windy that makes detecting a strike even more difficult, the Whites can detect & spit a W/W before you feel the hit.

Trust this helps.

Cheers

David

Old 10-08-2021, 12:35 PM

Could you please post pictures for 1/32 oz micro jigs? Thanks in advance
Old 10-08-2021, 03:04 PM

Any one know if you can still launch at Breakers cove? Wondering if the docks are still in.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:20 PM

Hey David is that sylvan lake area??

Old 10-12-2021, 10:13 AM

Zip,

Have you ever tried a Slip bobber with a split shot and the micro jig beneath?

I have used small Kastmasters under a slip bob, and it has worked well on fall whites.

A Slip bobber makes casting long distances, and suspending the jig off the bottom, very easy.

Drewski
Old 10-12-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bluZebec View Post
Hey David is that sylvan lake area??

Yup .... I live next to the golf course across from the marina, the snow was a bit of a surprise, but it's all gone now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Zip,

Have you ever tried a Slip bobber with a split shot and the micro jig beneath?

I have used small Kastmasters under a slip bob, and it has worked well on fall whites.

A Slip bobber makes casting long distances, and suspending the jig off the bottom, very easy.

Drewski
D/C .... yes, I tried that set up when I first started fishin Sylvan for open water Whites .... with very little success.

Now I just use 10 lb braid which is very thin tied to a 5-6 ft fluoro leader, no snap or swivel then my 1/32 oz jig & twister tail.

I can cast my jig 40 ft or more and catch Whites at that distance but most of them are caught within 15 ft of the boat and sometimes almost directly under me.

This past May, Scott & I went out in his boat and he used a bobber with the same size jig & same color Mr. Twister tail, he didn't do very well & I caught 17 Whites doing my thing, that day.

As well, it's been about 10 years now that I first started using the mini Jig & Mr. Twister Tail ice fishin, mainly in deep water over a sand silt bottom, I put my Marcum camera 6 ft behind me and watch how the Whites reacted to my presentation, by jigging and hitting bottom making a small poof of sand silt attracted them & then came over & inhaled my mini jig/tail, they do the same in open water.

I find they chase the presentation and I try to bounce bottom which triggers a strike & they inhale it, you can't do that with a bobber.

Trust this makes sense.

Cheers

David

Every White is hooked similar to this one always in upper snout.

Old 10-14-2021, 04:54 PM

Oct 14th .... +10C decided to go out for 1 hr or so this afternoon, had 3 hits 1 was a good one, was adjusting my drag & it got off .... no fish in the net today.

It was tough fishin in a F-Tube with a 15 km NNW wind, you get pushed around a lot, was in same area as the other day, 8-10 FOW, hard to tell were my micro jig was most of the time, it wasn't bouncing bottom.

Tomorrow's another day, hope the wind changes direction.

D.

Old 10-17-2021, 04:36 PM

Oct 17th … Cloudy, +12C with N wind 10-12 km’s, was hoping it would calm down, stayed out for 1.5 hrs then it started to blow harder. Tough working a jig and trying to keep tension on your line & bounce bottom or detect a hit. Got my first within 15 minutes, then lost one, and had a few hits & misses. Got 2 more & lost 2 more, came home with 3 today. There was a couple boats out, the guys near me weren’t doing well. The people in the sail boat looked like they were having fun. Cleaned them up, all 3 were males, the 5 Whites I caught last week, 3 were pre-spawn females with eggs. Hope the wind settles down next week, it’s much easier to fish ... still had fun.

A few pic’s …. enjoy.

Cheers

D.