Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-26-2012, 04:13 PM

Default What to buy for a new bow hunter?

Hey all! So next year I want to get into bow hunting. I know very little about the gear and was wondering what I should buy. I have all the regular hunting gear. So I'm looking for a bow and all the stuff that goes with it. I would like to buy it once the season is over so I can find some deals. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:45 PM

Default Search

Do a search on here, Jetfire. This topic is asked very often. Also check out BOWZONE forum as well. Lots of info out there.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:49 PM

#1 Rangefinder very important
Old 08-27-2012, 12:30 AM

Don't buy a 'kit' if you can afford to trick out a bare bow yourself. Most kits are cheap.

1 bow- Can't go wrong with a Hoyt, APA, or Matthews

12 arrows properly spined for your draw weight and length. Easton Axis or FMJ are about as good as they get

Spott Hogg Sight - Durable and Bright

G5 1/4" titanium peep

Scott Release-They are the best

2 piece quiver as they are the quietest-some of the newer quick detach are not bad, but most are cheap and vibrate too much

Bowsling- for the wrist. You can also buy a sling for carrying the bow, but a wrist sling is pretty important

Limbsaver Stabilizer and Dampener. You might pick up a longer/fancy one if you get into target shooting but right now you are looking for something to hold the sling to the bow and give you a little forward weight

Montec Broadheads or if you don't feel like trying fixed blades your first year - Grim Reapers - either model in 100 grain

Treestand and climbing sticks or 12 screw in steps

Light weight camo gloves, Face Mask, and camo clothes

Good Luck
Old 08-27-2012, 01:50 AM

If you like the Idea of Traditional you get set up a lot cheaper, and there is nothing to go wrong. No need for a ton of accesories, just a bow, glove, quiver, arrows and points/Broadheads.
Pete
Old 08-30-2012, 03:04 PM

338 is pretty much bang on with his post!!
Old 08-30-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
Hey all! So next year I want to get into bow hunting. I know very little about the gear and was wondering what I should buy. I have all the regular hunting gear. So I'm looking for a bow and all the stuff that goes with it. I would like to buy it once the season is over so I can find some deals. Thanks for the help everyone.
Where do you live? I may have a real good deal for you.
Pat
Old 08-30-2012, 03:36 PM

While 338 has all the tools listed, they are some of the most expensive ones. You can get set up very well for much less than his post prices out.

I meant no offense to your post 338Bluff. Very thorough list.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:45 PM

Default new bow

Watch the Cabelas website after hunting season. I odered a PSE Bow Madness xs ready to hunt package bow on sale for $420, regular $699, spent $25 and 30 min at the local acrhery shop gettin it set up for me. have had no troubles and have loved every minute shooting it. Now i just need hunting season to start to really test it out!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:37 PM

i have a bow for sale in the buy and sell that is ready to go. all you need is a release.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
Go to a Real good Pro shop and deal with them...Grizz
Old 08-31-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Don't buy a 'kit' if you can afford to trick out a bare bow yourself. Most kits are cheap.

1 bow- Can't go wrong with a Hoyt, APA, or Matthews

12 arrows properly spined for your draw weight and length. Easton Axis or FMJ are about as good as they get

Spott Hogg Sight - Durable and Bright

G5 1/4" titanium peep

Scott Release-They are the best

2 piece quiver as they are the quietest-some of the newer quick detach are not bad, but most are cheap and vibrate too much

Bowsling- for the wrist. You can also buy a sling for carrying the bow, but a wrist sling is pretty important

Limbsaver Stabilizer and Dampener. You might pick up a longer/fancy one if you get into target shooting but right now you are looking for something to hold the sling to the bow and give you a little forward weight

Montec Broadheads or if you don't feel like trying fixed blades your first year - Grim Reapers - either model in 100 grain

Treestand and climbing sticks or 12 screw in steps

Light weight camo gloves, Face Mask, and camo clothes

Good Luck
I disagree (i bit...lol):

Bow: starter package (shooting/hunting ready), likely good quality, fully set up with quiver and site from the factory - many brands avaialable, although I would say still have it set up at a pro shop.
*there is a stat: something like 80% of bow hunters will want a new bow within their first 2 years of archery - so why spend 1000-1100 on a big name bow when you can spend 600 for something just about as good to spend it again a couple years later?

Then you won't need a sight, peep, bow sling(string) or quiver...will be on the bow, reliable and will fit properly.

12 good arrows (only use 6 to learn!); don't go top of the line as a beginner, get good brands available at bass pro or cabelas. Straightness is fine, and you WILL loose arrows as a beginner, this will be a huge savings as well.

Release - try lots and get the one that suits you.
Stabilizer - try lots and get the one that siuts you best.
Broadheads - after you deem yourself ready to hunt do this.
*I'd go muzzy 3 blade over 338's preferred brands, as good of product for 2/3 the price.

Tree stands - watch the CDN tire fall flyers weekly - their prices will SMOKE the big distributers or local shops.

Clothes - each to their own, but get warm stuff if you want to sit in Nov, or you'll just end up buying more!!!

***Two things not mentioned:
-a good, durable target (that can take broadheads if you don't want to buy another one right away) shop around, you can save some money here too.
-scent killer sprays - I am a firm believer!!! No one is better than another to me, I buy these based on price (this is of course, when you're ready to hunt.)

Always remember, as much as I hate it, and I myself have fallen victim; archery and hunting equipment has become a game of gimmicks.

Two quotes to finish.. "it's not the wand - it's the wizard", or "it's not the arrow, but the indian"

Lots of stuff out there, use a bit of common sense, have fun and good luck!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:01 PM

Any decent pro shop will let you shoot any bow your interested in. Shoot a few different makes and models and go with the one that feels right for you. Most of the new bows are pretty decent, if bow hunting is something your going to stick with (which is dam addicting) then don't cheap out on the bow, a higher end bow will last you many years. Have a look a the PSE bows as well hoyt and mathews.

Was that an unintentional plug for PSE
Old 08-31-2012, 01:30 PM

I think it was; and I agree with Precision Shooting Equipment!

Oh wait, was that another one??? I think it was.

I forgot another very important thing for a beginner, probably the best, most usable "gimmick" I can think of... that actually works - The one and only Whisker Biscuit!