Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-27-2020, 02:15 PM

Default 305 306 elk mad house.

Iv been on here asking advice of elk in 305 and 306 south end. Some AO members advise me that it was a sh*t show and to this point i had never experienced it in the time hunting white tails. At the time it was hard to beleve, well im a believer now. October 25 15 trucks chasing a 50 head herd with maby 4 legal bulls in it, f&w babysiting the herd and the over exsited hunters running around guns blazing.

It was craziness with a hight potential for something to go wrong.
Needless to say i will be staying away from that even if my success rate will be under the 20% for that wmu for elk.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Last edited by dsoucy; 10-27-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:45 PM

Default 305

poop show is a understatement, froze my backside off for a hour and a half, just to have someone come by and start shooting at the herd from the road, 10 minutes before legal light.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:33 PM

What’s even funnier the the Canadian Forces sniper division folks are doing field operations in 306 last week and this week......
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-27-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
What’s even funnier the the Canadian Forces sniper division folks are doing field operations in 306 last week and this week......
Ya and there was guys parked at the south side of that range walking in! I call that land owner every time i want to try my luck in there just for that reason. You just never know.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2020, 06:02 PM

I was over in Bob Creek for the opener. It was quite cold that morning. The parking lot was full and four outfitters tents set up by the corrals. I only saw hunters at a distance. I didn't see any elk and only heard a few shots fired throughout the whole day.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:08 PM

Got drawn down there many years ago, it sounds like nothing has changed, have never wasted my time putting in there again, no elk is worth that

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praire hunter View Post
poop show is a understatement, froze my backside off for a hour and a half, just to have someone come by and start shooting at the herd from the road, 10 minutes before legal light.
I hope the guys shooting from the road were reported/arrested. What imbeciles...
Old 10-28-2020, 04:03 PM

I'm glad I live in the saddle hills and don t have to put up with that kind of crap

For real though I am glad I gave up trying to do " easy " hunts. In places that are easy to get to. Have to work harder but don't have to deal with idiots often.

Last edited by obsessed1; 10-28-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I'm glad I live in the saddle hills and don t have to put up with that kind of crap

For real though I am glad I gave up trying to do " easy " hunts. In places that are easy to get to. Have to work harder but don't have to deal with idiots often.
While it is the same for me, I know a few areas even around here that are not that easy to get to and that I still avoid from the start of the rifle season and all the way through October or so, or whenever the real cold kicks in, whichever comes first, lol. I have never experienced it, but can only imagine the “zoo” around the main cities.

Nowadays, I never see another person and rarely hear gunshots where I go. I guess this is a luxury that comes with where we live, being able to scout year round and get to know the area and its accessibility, etc. If we move somewhere south, this would still be my main hunting ground in all likelihood. I just won’t get to do it as often as I do now.

Good luck to all and stay safe.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoonpointboy View Post
I hope the guys shooting from the road were reported/arrested. What imbeciles...
The guys in 302 were reported and caught instantly, I just don’t get how nobody has permission in these areas yet 30 trucks are driving around looking all day. What are you going to do when you see them ?
Old 10-29-2020, 06:24 AM

There is a reason years ago looking at how to avoid other hunters became just as important as looking for sign when scouting. Avoiding others is not about burning boot leather but instead it’s a matter of thinking differently. My buddy in Calgary has no issues avoiding others

That said I am noticing an increase in hunters this year already. I am actually going to pull one of my Whitetail set ups because I feel it maybe found this year. It has been a long time since I have had someone find one of my set ups

It’s still possible to get away from other hunters but it is not getting easier
Old 10-29-2020, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soab View Post
I just don’t get how nobody has permission in these areas yet 30 trucks are driving around looking all day. What are you going to do when you see them ?
Happens here every fall, have been watching the poop show since opening morning.

Trucks up and down the road all day long yet no one has asked for permission. Oh, and I always love the “road bow hunters”
Old 10-29-2020, 01:55 PM

Well, the small herd at the Okotoks exit is still there. Field must still have standing crops since they haven't left yet.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:20 PM

Default Geeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Happens here every fall, have been watching the poop show since opening morning.

Trucks up and down the road all day long yet no one has asked for permission. Oh, and I always love the “road bow hunters”
I’m sorry you gotta out your with that every year bud.

Honestly I couldn’t handle it.

There’d be upside down discers all over my land by the fence entrances......
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-31-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post

Trucks up and down the road all day long yet no one has asked for permission. Oh, and I always love the “road bow hunters
hey some time you get tired after a half day walk so you go for a little drive not all of us sit in tree stands smoking darts dressed in hecs with ozonics to cover the smell.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:16 PM

Default So busy this year.

It's been so busy this year. Too busy. Takes the fun out of it.
Shot my bull on opening day 20 minutes after watching a bull drop by a hunter we didnt know was near. Basically raced two other hunters to intercept my bull.

If this isn't just COVID busy, but just the way it is now, we need an orange vest rule. Too many people chasing the same animals.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:12 PM

Welp, reading this has convinced me to wear orange for the rest of November.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:09 PM

Still nice and peaceful in the bush all the hunters I see are on the road. Almost no boot tracks heading into the bush. Odd set of boot tracks going down pipelines

But if you road hunt don’t forget to use turn signals lol
Old 11-13-2020, 05:56 PM

I was way out there in 305 last week when I shot my mule doe. It was quite a bit of work to get her up the hills and out to the road, like 6 hours of work, by myself. Never had been so grateful, for the help I received from two true sportsmen for the last 100 yards to the truck. They had actually glassed me a couple hours before, watching me pulling the beast out by myself. When it was turning dark, they drove out to the road and made sure I was okay, and proceeded to help me the last 100 yards (which would have been at least another hour of hard pulling by myself).
Of all the douchebaggery I witnessed in 305 this season, it was so refreshing to see decency still exists.
If you two are reading this, once again, thank you so much for the hand. I hope your season is a great one! Your kindness was truly the highlight of the season for me!
Old 11-13-2020, 09:58 PM

I was out in 304 today, hiked into my to my spot deep in the bush by first light, and the sheer amount of hunters out is pretty astounding for a Friday. I can understand it being slammed on a weekend, but this is just silly this year.

Every single roadside access point had at least 2-3 trucks parked along it.

Interestingly I only heard one shot the whole day, so not much action going on.