Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-12-2020, 07:05 PM

Default Rods for lake trout and bigger sized pike

Booked a trip this summer to Nordic Lodge on Reindeer lake. I have a guy in the group that is needing some gear. Mostly a rod and reel. I have a Pflueger President that I really like but just wondering about a few other styles or sizes that we should have a look at that may be somewhat economical. We are also rural and not all that techy so not likely to order online etc. Also line recommendations, I usually use suffix 832 braid in about a 15lb weight which should be fine as well but I sometimes tie a flourocarbon leader on. I also like the quic cliips as I don’t like the usual snap type because they look to big when attaching to a rapala etc. Any thoughts???
Old 02-12-2020, 07:25 PM

Your reel would work perfect. Average size is around 30 size reel.

Anything like the president or president Xt even the shimana Sahara’s work phenomenal. Depending on if you will be trolling or casting big baits it may vary. If you’re trolling i would maybe use a medium heavy moderate or moderate fast action. Casting i like to use medium heavy fast action rods. Again everyone has different preference. As for line both the suffix 832 or power pro super slick in 15 pound up to 20 pound will work great. I will usually use titanium leaders but a good thick Fluorocarbon leader around 50 up to 80 pounds will work. After a ton of pike the fluorocarbon will eventually fail. The titanium will last a lifetime.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-13-2020, 05:32 AM

I agree with what is already said. The reel is good overall for what you are doing. The rod, i would definitely get a medium heavy. Clarius has a really nice one 7ft long that i really like. And also about the titanium leaders.... you cannot beat them. The clips tend to be smaller on them and you could use 1 leader for a whole week. They are pricey but if you want to learn to make them they are a little labor intensive and prone to fail if not tied properly etc. I use the "knot 2 kinky" series. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:22 AM

Talk to the lodge owners. Most Lodge's I've ever worked at. Have lots of rods and reels to supply clients with usually fairly good ones.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2020, 04:41 PM

We've been going to Nordic Lodge for 20 years. We use older Abu Garcia 5000C or 5500C reels. I load 12-17# line, my brothers prefer heavier line. Be careful when using thin line like spiderwire or the like. On big fish, I've had the line bury itself in the spool, and it is a real pain to dig out, especially if the fish is still on. For northerns, I use a 7 to 7.5 foot, single piece medium heavy rod with a fast action tip. I've just had too many 2 piecers fail at the joint on a big fish. My biggest northern there is 52", and guessed it at 36-38#.

With a fast-action tip, it can double as a laker trolling rod, but sucks as a downrigging rod. We also use 2-piece 6-7 foot medium heavy rods for lakers. I switch to a 9 foot 2-piece downrigging rod if we use downriggers. The downrigger rods are just too soft for regular casting and trolling, but we can bend them in a complete loop when loading the downrigger release. Our biggest laker was 38", and we guessed it at 22#.

If you are there after July long weekend, you will likely need to downrig for lakers. We bring our own manual downriggers, and they work just fine.

Just a word of caution. This is a huge lake (160 miles long and 50 miles wide in a few places). There are lots of islands, and it is so easy to get lost. We do not go out now without our Garmins (don't ask what we did in the good ol' days!). Cell phone coverage is non-existent only about 15 miles out of the lodge. Also, a good depth finder is a must.

Nordic Lodge is under great new ownership with Darren Kimmel. You should have a great time!

PM me if you want to talk more.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:10 AM

Default Nordic Lodge

Thanks for the replies folks. We booked on Nordics 3rd annual bus trip that is from July 31-Aug 4th.. we will have guides with us so that should mitigate too much getting lost thing and am really curious about the area. Did a bit of reading and looks like we should have a lot of fun. Again, everything is just weather dependent. I’m thinking that these folks will have the bits and pieces available for us to find a few fish. I’ll likely just take my usual rod and am wanting to take my fly rod for grayling as well. We will see about that though. I don’t want to be that guy with this huge amount of things to load and haul around and not use any of it. Should be a fun trip. I do believe they had some openings still but I do believe it’s filling up quickly if someone is interested in going.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:58 AM

Like I said earlier if there any kind of Lodge, they should have fly rods and other rod for clients to use. Check in to It I bet they have some.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:01 AM

Definitely try Grayling for a couple hours there a hoot on the fly rod.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:40 AM

Guiding for 40 plus years now I get asked the same thing often. For the casual fisherman coming on these type of trips I recommend Ugly Stik rods. Very affordable and tough. As for specifics ask the outfitter, the size and type rod should match how they are going to fish you.
Reels have been covered pretty well above. If they are going to have you casting for pike you may want a spinning set up for that, easier for casual fisherman to deal with. Trips like this are awesome, don't add any complication to diminish it.

Osky
Old 02-18-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
Guiding for 40 plus years now I get asked the same thing often. For the casual fisherman coming on these type of trips I recommend Ugly Stik rods. Very affordable and tough. As for specifics ask the outfitter, the size and type rod should match how they are going to fish you.
Reels have been covered pretty well above. If they are going to have you casting for pike you may want a spinning set up for that, easier for casual fisherman to deal with. Trips like this are awesome, don't add any complication to diminish it.

Osky
The newer generation of Ugly Stick rods, particularly the 6.5' standard (non elite) model, has a pretty good backbone and is almost a medium heavy action in many examples. I've landed plenty of 40" pike on plenty of rods, and IMO this rod works pretty well for large fish.

I also have an 8' med heavy Catfish model that I use mostly for fishing big dead baits, but sometimes I throw lures with it too. Its a bit heavy for casting all day, but it will handle big fish and big baits very nicely.