Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-10-2020, 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=35 whelen;4089013]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I guarantee you people aren't coming from all over the world to fish you're part of Alberta where you've got two 14 Pounders out of how many man hours that you fish. From what I've read of your post you're pretty hardcore and spend thousands and thousands of hours fishing it's not a competition we're just saying there's other areas that have better fishing and overall experience

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I've fished both NW Ontario and the areas that Wayne is referring to. I've caught 30in walleye in NW Ontario, and have seen two 30in walleye caught within 10 minutes of each other on Southern Alberta rivers.

Southern Alberta can't compete with the amount of species in the NW Ontario/Eastern Manitoba areas or the scenery, but there are some seriously big walleye and pike. If it's really a ****ing match we're looking for, then NW Ont/E Manitoba can't compare with the Bay of Quinte
Old 01-10-2020, 09:45 PM

I was pretty happy with that pre fish episode. I'm still rooting for the Konrad's and don't take their cockiness to seriously as I think it's all in good fun. As has been mentioned I respect how they don't seem to be as wrapped up in throwing the latest and greatest all the time, just simply catch fish.

As far as them going to a fly out lodge I don't see how it's an advantage as obviously everyone has that option and who knows maybe another team will go that route as well. Still pretty early.

I get a kick out of Peric, he's definitely had some not so flattering moments over the years but he wears them and put's it out there. He could easily edit it out. He's almost become the Nickleback of the fishing world where it's cool to hate him lol.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:40 AM

[QUOTE=pinelakeperch;4089463]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

I've fished both NW Ontario and the areas that Wayne is referring to. I've caught 30in walleye in NW Ontario, and have seen two 30in walleye caught within 10 minutes of each other on Southern Alberta rivers.

Southern Alberta can't compete with the amount of species in the NW Ontario/Eastern Manitoba areas or the scenery, but there are some seriously big walleye and pike. If it's really a ****ing match we're looking for, then NW Ont/E Manitoba can't compare with the Bay of Quinte
No one's looking for a ****ing match let's just say there's great spots in all of Canada

Old 01-11-2020, 08:11 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
gonna give this show a shot if it turns out to be like a big brother type show well I am outta here!
Well not my cup of tea.....but uncut angling was found and I like some of his fishing....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-12-2020, 08:13 AM

I watched the first years episodes and enjoyed it I could not believe the great fishing they had and these were spots a person could drive to launch a boat and fish. When team Saskatchewan were done fishing the other brother fished for perch off a dock for 10 minutes or so and caught a 11.5 inch perch. The opportunity they have for fish is so great in those provinces.
Alberta definitely has some great fishing but not near that level especially so accessible.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
I watched the first years episodes and enjoyed it I could not believe the great fishing they had and these were spots a person could drive to launch a boat and fish. When team Saskatchewan were done fishing the other brother fished for perch off a dock for 10 minutes or so and caught a 11.5 inch perch. The opportunity they have for fish is so great in those provinces.
Alberta definitely has some great fishing but not near that level especially so accessible.
the biggest thing is the variety of species available. Everything you can get in AB, you can get in MB, plus many many many more....
Old 01-12-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
the biggest thing is the variety of species available. Everything you can get in AB, you can get in MB, plus many many many more....
250,000 anglers and 800 lakes in Alberta, and 100,000 lakes and 195,000 anglers in Sask. Stats are similar in Manitoba too, with about 2 anglers per lake. I love this province, but it isn’t the fishing Mecca the provinces further east are.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I'm super fortunate that I grew up in the Canadian Shield, in a small town that is basically an island (you cross a bridge to get into it) surrounded by the Winnipeg River (where Jay/Aaron were going for sturgeon last night). That Barrier Bay place Aaron/Jay stayed at in last night's ep is a 10 minute boat ride from my hometown via the Wpg River. It's a ridiculous fishery (and that's just the Wpg River!) with trophy walleye, pike, bass, mooneye/goldeye, whitefish, sucker and sturgeon that can get up around 75lbs. When we were kids, we were so spoiled with that fishery. We'd ride our bikes over to the shoreline that surrounded the town, and hop into our boat (virtually everyone owned a boat) and take off down the river. It runs from mighty Lake Winnipeg on one end, out to Lake Of The Woods on the other end. We'd rip up and down a stretch of 50km's or so, targeting whatever we felt like that day.

It's definitely different in West-Central AB...ha ha ha. I've never been so land-locked in all my life!

I two grew up their in kenora on lake 9f the woods we were really spoiled. Dont forget the wpg river has some monster burbot up stream of their.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I fish rivers every chance I get rather than the lakes. Bet not many eastern anglers have caught our size walleye. and Ive still got a ways to go upwards, need my 36 incher!!!
I broke that when I was 16 on the winnipeg river ice fishing. No picture she was cold out had to put her back because she was full of eggs and fish like that sustain the fishery with millions of fry.

Gbuss
Old 01-12-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
There is a map at the bow habitat in Calgary and I cannot remember the details but it had a comparison between fish bearing lake in Albert a and Saskatchewan. I think it said 150 lakes in Albert a got fish while 5000 or so lakes got fish in saskatechwan. Once you factor in provincial population and angling pressure, Saskatchewan will have larger fish in general.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
There is a map at the bow habitat in Calgary and I cannot remember the details but it had a comparison between fish bearing lake in Albert a and Saskatchewan. I think it said 150 lakes in Albert a got fish while 5000 or so lakes got fish in saskatechwan. Once you factor in provincial population and angling pressure, Saskatchewan will have larger fish in general.
And then Sask has nothing on MB/NW Ont, either....just for reference.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:07 AM

Can someone illegally introduce Sheephead/Drum into Frank Lake already...those things were HUGE!!!
Old 01-16-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefoe View Post
Can someone illegally introduce Sheephead/Drum into Frank Lake already...those things were HUGE!!!
So many people call them a garbage fish, but man I love fishing Drum back home. The scrap from those things is huge.

I had a lot of issues last night with some of Jay's production/editing choices.... choosing to air the "team prayer" in the truck and then muting the "Oh my God" toward the end (I think he sees that as taking the Lord's name in vain...and has clearly told all the guys to say 'Oh My Gosh' instead...) but if I can get past that (it's tough...) there was some neat stuff. That Garmin Panoptix is really something special....they found a real multi-species heaven on Big Whiteshell Lake with that thing.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:27 AM

forget the drum. I wish we had carp that big here

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-16-2020, 10:54 AM

I particularly like where the guy was picking his nose and then looked at it

Old 01-16-2020, 11:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

contemplating to use it as bait......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-16-2020, 11:08 AM

Taro seems like a guy youd have to be in the mood for if that makes sense.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2020, 08:29 PM

I would throw myself overboard if I was stuck on a boat with taro.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:43 AM

Quote:
I had a lot of issues last night with some of Jay's production/editing choices.... choosing to air the "team prayer" in the truck and then muting the "Oh my God" toward the end (I think he sees that as taking the Lord's name in vain...and has clearly told all the guys to say 'Oh My Gosh' instead...) but if I can get past that (it's tough...) there was some neat stuff. That Garmin Panoptix is really something special....they found a real multi-species heaven on Big Whiteshell Lake with that thing.
Seems like an odd thing to bug a guy considering it was such a small part of the episode...

Anyways I think this run is every bit as good as the first one so far. Will be interesting to see what other "garbage" Taro and Paul can come up with. I can imagine the Konrads were dissappointed with a 37" pike. They were banking on getting both laker and pike points and any other team could beat the pike, still early though lots of other stuff to catch.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:41 AM

Such a fun series to watch, I really enjoyed the first 39 hours as well. I'd love to do something like that with members from the forum but its the video and editing thats such a pain .You basically need a full time camera man with you as well as someone to professionally edit it all.$$$ probably the reason it wont happen. Im putting my money on Aaron and Jay with the Konrads in close second place.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:24 AM

I could do without the "live target leaderboard" coming up ever minute when another teams catches a new/bigger fish. Just seems unnecessary. I guess every time something good comes around companies want to have there name all over it. There hasn't been one mention of Frostbite yet though which has really surprised me.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:54 AM

Ok episode 2 wtf is with acmes boat lol. 20 rods laying everywhere and a 15 foot net. Bad day for the Conrad's.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Ok episode 2 wtf is with acmes boat lol. 20 rods laying everywhere and a 15 foot net. Bad day for the Conrad's.
If you ask me the Konrads are at a big disadvantage from the get go. Manitoba and eastward seem to have a wider variety of species to target. Thus making the ones the konrads catch need to be very large to take points away from the other competitors.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:03 AM

Oh 100% agree they're catching a bunch of fish we've never heard of
Old 01-23-2020, 09:14 AM

f***in' Gizzard Shad and Rudd.....?? What in the hell.

Was glad to see the Konrads get their asses kicked in period 2, tho I don't think that'll last. I really thought they were going to net a monster sturgeon...I still don't think that 38" the Manitobans got will stand. 38" is a dink sturgeon.

I was chuckling about Peric being so excited about a 30" cat...ha ha ha. Just babies. The average in the Red at Lockport is around 35". While 40's are a unicorn, pretty much anyone who's ever fished with a guide at Lockport has a ton of 35-39s....

Was a relatively boring episode last night, I thought....but that's just me.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:22 AM

Team Acme fishing for bass most of the tournament haha

I am certain the konrads will come back hard the next episode.

This show is on fire! I wish we had more good content like this.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-05-2020, 07:03 PM

37” brown trout!
Old 02-05-2020, 07:05 PM

That brown trout!

New provincial record???

Great job Sean!
Old 02-05-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
That brown trout!

New provincial record???

Great job Sean!
1” short of the live release WORLD record.