Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2012, 09:39 AM

Default Castle river fishing

Hey all,

I'm planning a hike/camp in the castle river area and am looking to get some feedback on good spots to fish, I was thinking of going south of the castle river bridge on the south castle river a couple kilometers to distance myself from the crowds anyone fished the castle at all? I'm a first time fly fisher so not expecting a lot maybe just a trout or two for dinner if I can scrounge it
Old 05-26-2012, 07:12 PM

Lots of grizzlies in there, and if you're looking for a meal of trout I'd try some of the nearby lakes instead.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:45 PM

C&R is strongly encouraged on the rivers in the area, there are many stocked lakes out that way to keep a few if wanted. There are many bears in that area, been seeing more every year lately.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:11 PM

Not to scare you off, but it's pretty famous locally for having two grizz mailings in the last 10 years.
One guy was found 1/2 eaten, and I believe his Pepsi was still stashed in the stream by the hole he wuz fishin.

Other fellah got most of his face ripped off I think, he caused quite a stir when he rolled into Gundy's store.

Lots of fishing pressure. Lots of fish poaching done by the local random campers too, not much enforcement.
You can catch tasty fish out of Beaver Mines Lake.
Might've a better idea.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 05-27-2012, 09:02 AM

Not quite sure the above post is true... The last bear attack in that area was on the South Castle in the early 90's, when a Taber man was killed by Grizzly. There are some bears in the area, but if vigilant and 'bear aware', you shouldn't be deterred from enjoying the Castle.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:29 AM

I spend a couple weeks a year in the castle area fishing the castle rivers and tribs. I have also hiked into Barnaby and Rainy Ridge lakes. I have yet to see a bear. I'm sure they are there but in my opinion it's not something I would let prevent you from going. I don't go alone and we always try to make noise as we go so we don't surprise anything. As far as fishing pressure its like anywhere else, the farther from the main roads you get the better. I always try to go during the week and avoid long weekends. Good luck and have fun.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:07 AM

Both arms of the Castle can provide great fishing. There are certainly grizzlies in the area however the reputation given to the South Castle has been blow out of proportion since the death in the 90's. That being said, the population density of grizzlies is higher in the extreme southwest corner of the province so you have to be prepared for a potential encounter. For a first time flyfisher I personally wouldn't recommend the Castle itself. You may have a lot more fun focusing on the smaller tributaries in the area. There are plenty of small fish which will keep you interested in the various tribs, with some larger cutts mixed in to keep you on your toes. Please practice catch and release in all the rivers in this area as angling pressure has increased a ton in the last ten years. Like other members said, if you want a couple trout for the pan, there are some put and take lakes in the area where it isn't too difficult to stir up a trout. If you do decide to fish the South Castle, bring a friend. Fishing this area alone exacerbates any issues with the resident bruins.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M10 View Post
Hey all,

I'm planning a hike/camp in the castle river area and am looking to get some feedback on good spots to fish, I was thinking of going south of the castle river bridge on the south castle river a couple kilometers to distance myself from the crowds anyone fished the castle at all? I'm a first time fly fisher so not expecting a lot maybe just a trout or two for dinner if I can scrounge it
your post was fine till the end......Gawd forbid you eat A TROUT OR MAYBE 2.......the world will come off its rotation and rivers and streams will flow upstream

Fished the area for over 44 years. pm me and i'll happily give you some proven flies for there.

Be bear cautious especially furthur down the Font trail
Old 05-27-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Not to scare you off, but it's pretty famous locally for having two grizz mailings in the last 10 years.
One guy was found 1/2 eaten, and I believe his Pepsi was still stashed in the stream by the hole he wuz fishin.

Other fellah got most of his face ripped off I think, he caused quite a stir when he rolled into Gundy's store.

Lots of fishing pressure. Lots of fish poaching done by the local random campers too, not much enforcement.
You can catch tasty fish out of Beaver Mines Lake.
Might've a better idea.
When was this?... I think I was camping near there when I was a kid when this happened. Sounds really familiar.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:08 PM

The fatality was 14 years ago and the bear was destroyed.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:36 PM

Yea, it probably was 14.
I'm old, seems like it was not that long ago.

Place does get hammered but good.
You do have to get back in there.

Prov record cutty came out of the S Castle. 9 whole pounds.

Wow!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 05-28-2012, 08:52 AM

Definitely get off the beaten path. Some of the other creeks around the area can be pretty good as well. The Carbondale and Lynx Creek have been fun to fish in the past. I'm not sure when the rivers/creeks open for fishing though. Seems to me it's not until early June (could be wrong though).
Old 05-28-2012, 10:25 AM

June 16th opener... Record Cutty was caught in 1987 or 1989 Don't remember which... Doubt there is another 9lber swimming around in there, but I have seen some cutties pushing 5lbs...

If you go, bring a friend.. Carry Bearspray, Bearbangers, Airhorn.. Whatever makes you feel like you have afighting chance if you run into an aggressive bear. Unfortunately there are not that many grizzlies in the Castle area anymore.. There was an article on it last year, There are very few left due to deforestation and human interaction.. Sad to see.

That place gets hammered every year so expect to walk a long, long time before you can get into some more or less "remote" areas.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:12 PM

Breathtaking country. The most memerable fishing trip I ever took was to that area about 12 years ago. 3 day trip... fished mostly tribs and camped along the river. Catch was so so... but truly some of the best fishing expereinces of my life. My best bud and I walking and fishing beautiful streams...

Thats what life is about.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Banned

i got a cutt over 4 out of the castle a few years ago. a couple quick pics and she was back in the water. its tough though as fishing pressure is high, and those fish have seen everything you can chuck at them. check the regs close if you plan to keep one....it varies depending on location.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
June 16th opener... Record Cutty was caught in 1987 or 1989 Don't remember which... Doubt there is another 9lber swimming around in there, but I have seen some cutties pushing 5lbs...

If you go, bring a friend.. Carry Bearspray, Bearbangers, Airhorn.. Whatever makes you feel like you have afighting chance if you run into an aggressive bear. Unfortunately there are not that many grizzlies in the Castle area anymore.. There was an article on it last year, There are very few left due to deforestation and human interaction.. Sad to see.

That place gets hammered every year so expect to walk a long, long time before you can get into some more or less "remote" areas.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 PM

thanks for the Replies guys, didnt know about the bears but I was planning on bringing bear spray/shotgun (Pending the conversation with the ranger station, from what I can see its crown land but the whole Forest Land use zone and Public land use zone thing confuse me).

Was planning on going far south, almost to the border with the National park in Montana there.

I will definitely consider some of those lakes though as I would prefer not to disturb the castle if I can catch a bite to eat at the nearby lakes.

Last edited by M10; 06-13-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:11 AM
Banned

I wouldn't waste my time on the castle.. that fishery is dead. I'd go to livingston river and hammer cutties all day long....
Old 06-14-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
I wouldn't waste my time on the castle.. that fishery is dead. I'd go to livingston river and hammer cutties all day long....
HA!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Oh Ryan... haha.

Livingstone is a good choice... highly pressured as well though.. unfortunately most places are now a days, we just have too many fisherman for the amount of water we have.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Clearly sarcasm.... But the Livingstone is probably NOT the place to be going if looking to keep 1 or 2 for dinner, lol.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
Clearly sarcasm.... But the Livingstone is probably NOT the place to be going if looking to keep 1 or 2 for dinner, lol.
The man eating grizzlies and cougars in the castle drainage are not something to be taken lightly.. I have seen many dogs get eatin like scenes out of Jurassic Park
Old 06-14-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
The man eating grizzlies and cougars in the castle drainage are not something to be taken lightly.. I have seen many dogs get eatin like scenes out of Jurassic Park

Get back to work haha. PM me on when your comin down south.. Found some incredible new places to hook some big bulls later this summer.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Banned

If the snow ever melts.. could be into September before the rivers clear up.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post

I think that 400 probably has one of the highest densities of grizzlies in Alberta.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:35 PM
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
I think that 400 probably has one of the highest densities of grizzlies in Alberta.
The only place comparable is the Willmore. Ive had grizzly bear encounters every fishing trip in that area over the past 3 years. The only thing there is less of since i was a kid is cutties. Make noise, get away from the quads and campers lining the banks near access points, and enjoy a beautiful area.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:53 PM

Default There’s Cougars

A Massive Cougar ran right through my campsite during the day. I’ve seen some mags THICC bull trout in the castle river and in some of its tributaries.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:21 PM

You best check the Regis. Some limits are zero.

Don