Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-21-2019, 05:29 PM

Default Jawjacker missed hook sets

While ice fishing for trout with my kids we set up a few jawjackers and lately we’ve been getting more missed hook sets than hook sets on them. Today we had at least 15 misses to the 8 hook ups.
Any suggestions out there to increase the percentage of hook ups.
Thanks.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppb View Post
While ice fishing for trout with my kids we set up a few jawjackers and lately we’ve been getting more missed hook sets than hook sets on them. Today we had at least 15 misses to the 8 hook ups.
Any suggestions out there to increase the percentage of hook ups.
Thanks.
Smaller baits?
Old 12-21-2019, 05:41 PM

Default My tactic for walleye and trout.

I like to rig it up with a small slip bobber so there is about eight inches of slack line before the trigger is tripped this usually makes it trip when the trout has it in its mouth swimming away with it instead of just tripping when they take a quick swipe at it.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:43 PM

Decrease tension on the wing nut
Old 12-21-2019, 05:50 PM

Set the angle less on the rod and maybe use a lighter rod. Don’t use a MH for sure as u could be ripping the hook from their mouth when it sets.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:12 PM

Yup as above. Too much jam for soft trout mouths. Need to adjust for less of a smack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2019, 07:26 PM

Tie your hook with the pointed/barb end on the top side not the bottoms side haha

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 12-21-2019, 08:06 PM

I’ve found that jaw jackers perform better when the rod you are using is loaded with mono or at least fluorocarbon. Braid has so little stretch that many times it rips the hooks right out of the fish. I like the bobber idea tho. I’m definitely going to try that.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:28 PM

I've found that there is kind of a sweet spot with rods to use that makes all the difference. You don't want a rod to soft as it won't set the hook but you don't want it to snappy either. I've had the best luck with a medium action glass rod from HT but medium action from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within a manufacturer is so different that in the end it's just going to be trial and error on your part to see what works. You need some snap to set the hook but also enough play throughout the rod towards the handle to absorb some head shakes while you are getting there to grab the rod.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:57 PM

For trout I like to use a three way swivel with a bell weight at the bottom about 2 feet from the swivel then i tie a octopus hook on a 12 inch fluorocarbon 6lbs leader off the 90 degree portion of the swivel and set the jaw jacker to go off on vary little tension never have missed a hook set like that for trout.

Gbuss
Old 12-21-2019, 11:59 PM

Default Jaw Jacker

Ok so I know everyone has their own ideas of how these things work. With trout I usually use a 5mm or 7 mm tungsten jig. The key is a small piece of bait like 1 cm of worm or half a meal worm and thread it onto the hook so nothing is past the bend. Also need the hook exposed, not burried in a bait. Sometimes the fat thick head of a night crawler is too much. Then angle of the hook should be horizontal to a slight angle so tip of hook is pointing up a bit. Usually when you are missing fish it is because of the tension on your wing nut. If you are missing strikes and it is really loose, make it tighter. If it is tight then make it looser. I usually like going a little tighter so the little guys dont set it off and it gives them time to take it without setting it off before they really have it. This way you don't need to create some sort of rig to allow extra slack or extra time for the fish to swallow it. The jaw jacker was designed to try to avoid this with mostly lip hooking fish. The rod matters, too light, not enough bend and you won't get a good hook set. I don't believe in the hook ripping out theory unless you are using braided line then yes I believe could be an issue. I recommend a medium light or medium action 28 inch and up rod with a monofilament ice line and a fluorocarbon leader. I usually set the rod holder at the middle setting and the extension arm at #4. Anyways the first time I used it I did use the float like an auto fishermen. But since figuring out the fine tuning I have never needed it again. Here are some videos that you may find useful that I have made over the years fishing trout with a jaw jacker and some underwater shots.

My first time using the jaw jacker adding a Float on the line for a modification, worked great but since then really unnecessary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwG18WAJxqY

Fat Triploid Trout with Jaw Jackers and underwater video, around middle of video I talk about set up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TiuoXc-HsI

Jigging Jaw Jacker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9U1BFai2Kk

Jigging Jaw Jacker Set up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY84WF4FYeE
NEW for this season - https://youtu.be/kKNfA3TJDJc

Earlier Jaw Jackering with three fly set up, back when Hermitage was stocked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb7AQhQ_z-Q

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 12-22-2019, 12:04 AM

https://youtu.be/uoitDt1eJzk

This one is the underwater view, definitely worthwhile watch. Quite entertaining.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 12-22-2019, 06:37 AM

Assuming you get all the rod, line, nut tension and bait issues figured out another small adjustment that I do on a lot of my hooks and jigs regardless of using a jawjacker or not is to slightly bend the hook point to the side and sometimes ever so slightly bend the hook gap open a little more. This combination of a slightly open and bent to the side hook point seems to help convert some extra hook
sets for me rather than leaving it the way it came in the package. The key is to not bend it so much that you compromise it’s strength but enough that the hook is no longer perfectly inline with the shank. Saw this on a fishing show years ago and works well for me. Give it a try and see what you think, good luck!
Old 12-22-2019, 02:22 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I’ll tinker with a few of the tips and see how it goes.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:34 PM

Over the years, I've learned a few things and one of the most common things people don't do enough is sharpening their hooks.

When friends in my boat was missing hook sets and I suggest a quick run through with the sharpener, and, quite often, the tide turns radically and they begin to stick em'

A sticky sharp hook is something often overlooked, when I change or rig up hooks, I sharpen them every time before they get wet, and if I'm using them for a few hours they get a touch up a few times throughout the day.

It may not be the ultimate solution, but it will help for sure.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Over the years, I've learned a few things and one of the most common things people don't do enough is sharpening their hooks.

When friends in my boat was missing hook sets and I suggest a quick run through with the sharpener, and, quite often, the tide turns radically and they begin to stick em'

A sticky sharp hook is something often overlooked, when I change or rig up hooks, I sharpen them every time before they get wet, and if I'm using them for a few hours they get a touch up a few times throughout the day.

It may not be the ultimate solution, but it will help for sure.
https://www.amazon.ca/Diamond-Fishin...7066142&sr=8-2