Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-14-2019, 02:02 PM

Default Rebarrel or Rebore

So I have a really nice full wood commercial Mauser 98 in 30-06. Love it, shots like a dream smooth accurate and fast handling. The problem is I have my Uncles CIL in 30-06 that I love to shoot. This brings about the idea of re-chambering it Mauser to something different, which then brings about 2 questions.

#1...What Caliber? I'm thinking 338-06 or 35 Whelen. Bearing in mind I don't reload I am leaning toward the Whelen.
#2...Do I rebore the original '06 barrel OR pick up a different 98 barrel(should be lots around) and rebore it thereby keeping the option of returning it to factory original if so desired.
Thoughts, advise??
Old 06-14-2019, 02:07 PM

There’s only 1 barrel maker I know who might consider re boring a barrel and that’s grandpa Smith. I don’t even know if he still does this work. All that aside I think the price difference between a re bore and a new barrel is so small, you’ll likely just get a new barrel.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-14-2019, 02:09 PM

new barrel no question - 35 Whelen
Old 06-14-2019, 02:22 PM

Another vote for get Karl to slap a new barrel on it and keep the old one since it shoots great too. Cost wise you will be ahead of the game by the time you re-bore and re-chamber the old barrel plus the old barrel has good resale value, especially if it is an original, (I would keep a couple of sample targets to show prospective purchasers of the barrel) if you don't want to keep it.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
So I have a really nice full wood commercial Mauser 98 in 30-06. Love it, shots like a dream smooth accurate and fast handling. The problem is I have my Uncles CIL in 30-06 that I love to shoot. This brings about the idea of re-chambering it Mauser to something different, which then brings about 2 questions.

#1...What Caliber? I'm thinking 338-06 or 35 Whelen. Bearing in mind I don't reload I am leaning toward the Whelen.
#2...Do I rebore the original '06 barrel OR pick up a different 98 barrel(should be lots around) and rebore it thereby keeping the option of returning it to factory original if so desired.
Thoughts, advise??
Both the .338-06 and the .35 Whelen are great choices. Seeing that you don't reload I would go with the .35 for sure. I hunt with both cartridges and it's hard to choose between them. For a re-bore ,it's a good idea to check your barrel diameters before deciding. My personal preference would be to go with a re-barrel by Bob Jury or Ron Smith.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:39 PM

Default easier yet

https://www.tradeexcanada.com/produits/85
I'd go 6.5x55 or 9.3x62
Old 06-14-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Have a nice 6.5 and I want to go up not down. I sold my 9.3x62 due to ammo availability. Rechambering would be no problem I'll do that myself so just need a 35 cal rebore. My friend who is a retired has a connection to have it rebored.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
There’s only 1 barrel maker I know who might consider re boring a barrel and that’s grandpa Smith. I don’t even know if he still does this work. All that aside I think the price difference between a re bore and a new barrel is so small, you’ll likely just get a new barrel.
I thought I read somewhere that Jury is doing rebores now?
Old 06-14-2019, 03:41 PM

Your scenario really does justify a rebore. There can be 100 different moving parts if trying to match barrel contours with custom inlets etc.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-14-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
I thought I read somewhere that Jury is doing rebores now?
He is.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Have a nice 6.5 and I want to go up not down. I sold my 9.3x62 due to ammo availability. Rechambering would be no problem I'll do that myself so just need a 35 cal rebore. My friend who is a retired has a connection to have it rebored.
If you find ammo for the 9.3 hard to come by you won't like the 35 Whelen any better. Both rifles mean you need to stock up/order in what you want to shoot. You aren't going to find either at Walmart or a small town gun store.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:28 PM

100% rebore. Ron Smith, and bob jury both rebore, and jc should be soon or was at least considering starting aswell.

No contour matching, no bluing, no installing sights all of which would be on top of the cost of a new barrel and its fitting costs.

Last edited by double gun; 06-14-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you find ammo for the 9.3 hard to come by you won't like the 35 Whelen any better. Both rifles mean you need to stock up/order in what you want to shoot. You aren't going to find either at Walmart or a small town gun store.
Until you take up reloading that's where you sit.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Lots of 35 W around here at fairly reasonable prices. 9mm not so much. I'm not going in 1/2 cocked, I have built a good number of rifles over the last 40 yrs and always do research before making decisions. My questions are just for more knowledgebefore I set forth.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Lots of 35 W around here at fairly reasonable prices. 9mm not so much. I'm not going in 1/2 cocked, I have built a good number of rifles over the last 40 yrs and always do research before making decisions. My questions are just for more knowledgebefore I set forth.
Well, given that information and the fact you have so much experience I will bow out of this thread. I really don't know what any of us could really add given your extensive experience and knowledge. I am not being difficult, I truly mean it would be hard to add much to someone with 40 years experience building numerous other rifles in the past. Wish you had said that up front, I would have just skipped on to the next thread. Best of luck with the new build.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Well, given that information and the fact you have so much experience I will bow out of this thread. I really don't know what any of us could really add given your extensive experience and knowledge. I am not being difficult, I truly mean it would be hard to add much to someone with 40 years experience building numerous other rifles in the past. Wish you had said that up front, I would have just skipped on to the next thread. Best of luck with the new build.
OK Dean 2, no sense getting Pi$$y because you want to give answers I did not ask questions about. I never once mentioned wanting to chamber it for 9.3 nor did say anything about wanting to buy at Walmart, nor did I ask for a cost analysis I know a build is not cheap I do it because I want to not to make a profit with the finished product. If you didn't want to comment on my SPACIFIC questions then it was you who wasted your own time. Your first post was appreciated the other is just sour grapes and to be honest a true waste of your time and mine. The number of years I have been fiddling with guns has nothing to do with the questions I asked, I only mentioned it because I didn't want you or anyone wasting your time with answers I did not ask for. I would really appreciate it if you did indeed scroll down to the next thread.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:57 PM

Generalized rebore question:
On a standard contour barrel, how much can you typically bore out? I know it will be specific to each barrel but in general? Can a standard contour hunting rifle be bored from .308 up to .358? Or should one not go beyond.338?
Old 06-16-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Generalized rebore question:
On a standard contour barrel, how much can you typically bore out? I know it will be specific to each barrel but in general? Can a standard contour hunting rifle be bored from .308 up to .358? Or should one not go beyond.338?
only speaking for myself, but I like a muzzle dia. of at least .630 for a .338 re-bore from 308. and .650 for 358. My older Rem 700 BDL has a factory Muzz Dia.of .665

Last edited by Salavee; 06-16-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:57 PM

Did a really quick internet search for 9.3x62 ammo had at least 6 Canadian suppliers in a couple key strokes...not hard to find if you look.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
100% rebore. Ron Smith, and bob jury both rebore, and jc should be soon or was at least considering starting aswell.

No contour matching, no bluing, no installing sights all of which would be on top of the cost of a new barrel and its fitting costs.
Yes, redid my Steyr 30-06 to 9.3x62 with a gain twist for about $450, his son is now taking over the business as he's in his mid or late 80's
Old 06-18-2019, 10:22 AM

I will throw in my 2 cents on the re-bore thingy, I have a Clean low round count remington 700 in 06 that will be turning into a 35 Whelen shortly. I have brass powder, and dies as well as a good selection of 35 Whelen bullets, anyways I did speak with Bob Jury on the re-bore (think it was around 400$$) and that did not include chambering. Add $275.00 for that work and your pretty much at the price of a new barrel. Ron Smith was interested in the project and was a bit cheaper including chambering but schedule??? He had no idea when he could get to it. I did chat with KS Arms, looking to be about $800 and that is a high quality custom barrel made to spec with a guaranteed turn around time. As soon as I free up some cash, heading over there. JMO
Old 06-19-2019, 11:55 AM

I just went through this on the Model 88 build I'm trying. Mr Smith is still doing rebores but as Double Dropper said, he's booked up until sometime in the new year, and as he mentioned to me that he's now 80+ years wise, he's doesn't really want to take on a tonne of work. I went with a new barrel with a custom profile from International Barrels Inc, spoke with Ryan, great to deal with.

https://www.internationalbarrels.ca/collections/all

And there is a significant price difference between a re bore and a barrel blank, unless it's more of a larger production run barrel already profiled and ready to go like Pioneer suggested

custom build lessons learned to date

Lesson # 1 : - it's not a money saving venture, it's a money spending venture!

Lesson #2 : Don't tell the wife about lesson #1!