Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-13-2019, 05:39 PM

Default Walleye Jigs

In the past it was a minor issue but know it is becoming a real pain in the backside. I am losing a large number of Walleye and Pike because of the hook straitening out on the jig. The jigs at Bass Pro I expected this and they did instantly. So I stuck with Northland jigs and they were ok until I stocked up on new jigs this year. These are now like the BP jigs, a piece of lead with soft wire sticking out of them. Complete garbage!

First off I have absolutely no time to make my own jigs as I have to scratch out time to just get on the water. Soooooo, what brand is out there that still actually use real quality hooks?

Thanks, Dodger
Old 06-13-2019, 05:56 PM

VMC jigs are great , very strong
Old 06-13-2019, 06:20 PM

Thanks. I will see where I can buy them online.

Dodger
Old 06-13-2019, 06:44 PM

I've never really thought about it, I use whatever is cheap and the only time I have one straighten out on me is when its snagged on a log or something. Just out of curiosity how strong of line are you using?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I've never really thought about it, I use whatever is cheap and the only time I have one straighten out on me is when its snagged on a log or something. Just out of curiosity how strong of line are you using?
20/lb braid. It use to be the odd Pike doing the squirrelly dance would straighten the hook. But! This last weekend I had 3 Walleye straighten Northlands 1/2 oz little thumper jig

Dodger
Old 06-13-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
VMC jigs are great , very strong
Looking online and finding what I want in this brand is pretty much a no go. I can find one here or one there. Wanted to buy 20 at a time but no dice. Strange?

Dodger
Old 06-13-2019, 07:45 PM

I haven’t used them a lot yet but the quality from big sky flies and jigs is really good.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
20/lb braid. It use to be the odd Pike doing the squirrelly dance would straighten the hook. But! This last weekend I had 3 Walleye straighten Northlands 1/2 oz little thumper jig

Dodger
I think if you went down to 10 lb line, or simply loosened your drag it might fix your problem. I generally use 10 lb line for jigging, and despite using some absolute garbage jig heads the only time I've lost a fish in the manner you describe was on a couple occasions when I got too horsey with the handline while ice fishing.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-13-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:14 PM

Not sure where you can buy that many at once in bulk online , I usually just buy me a couple at a time at Canadian tire or cabelas.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:23 PM

High Caliber Lures in Kerrobert SK.....been using their stuff for a bit now and super happy with the quality. They have a website and a few Facebook pages
Old 06-13-2019, 11:17 PM

"Reel Bait" Tournament series flasher jigs (come with small willow blade hanging off bottom, you could easily add a #4 colorado though for some serious thump) They come with Gamagatsu hooks. Sticky sharp and very strong.

Aaron Weibe of Uncut Angling uses them for 40+ inch lake trout.

They're pricey but worth it.

Got some at Cabelas.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:02 AM

I have over the years I bought 25000 jigs of all sizes and makes,i have straighten a few out when snagged, but very few on fish.

20LBSTest line is for 40lbs fish and up.6 or 8 lbs is the most I use for all my walleye fishing or trout I might go to 12 pound,but 8 lbs is good for all kinda fishing.1/2 oz jigs in real fast flowing or very deep water.

The reason your using heavy jigs is to make up for the heavy line your using.

I hooked all kinda large fish on 8 lbs line,up to 40 lbs lakers,30 inch plus walleyes which I lost count of 20 years ago.If your targeting pike you need a good leader plus setting your drag is a must,when a 50 inch pike wants to run you let them run.The jig or the line will break or you just rip the hook out of there jaw.

The trick when using a jig is to stay vertical and this is better done with good lighter line.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I think if you went down to 10 lb line, or simply loosened your drag it might fix your problem. I generally use 10 lb line for jigging, and despite using some absolute garbage jig heads the only time I've lost a fish in the manner you describe was on a couple occasions when I got too horsey with the handline while ice fishing.
I don’t like 10/lb braid as it cuts into the Pike and my fingers pretty easy. The drag is good as I definitely do not horse them in. The jig hooks are giving away at the start of the bend.

Dodger.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
Not sure where you can buy that many at once in bulk online , I usually just buy me a couple at a time at Canadian tire or cabelas.
I see they are packaged in ones and two packs. I was just want to put 10-20 packs on my order. Even Amazon has 1-2 in stock so it’s not worth placing the order. But I’m still looking as I like the looks of these.

Dodger.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:50 AM

[QUOTE=JD848;3989189]I have over the years I bought 25000 jigs of all sizes and makes,i have straighten a few out when snagged, but very few on fish.

20LBSTest line is for 40lbs fish and up.6 or 8 lbs is the most I use for all my walleye fishing or trout I might go to 12 pound,but 8 lbs is good for all kinda fishing.1/2 oz jigs in real fast flowing or very deep water.

The reason your using heavy jigs is to make up for the heavy line your using.

I hooked all kinda large fish on 8 lbs line,up to 40 lbs lakers,30 inch plus walleyes which I lost count of 20 years ago.If your targeting pike you need a good leader plus setting your drag is a must,when a 50 inch pike wants to run you let them run.The jig or the line will break or you just rip the hook out of there jaw. The trick when using a jig is to stay vertical and this is better done with good lighter line.[/QUOTE

I do plenty of vertical jigging but when there is a Walleye chop I want some weight to get down. The problem was this was “very minimal” in the past. I just found with the jigs I bought this spring this has become an issue. So I want to dump the Northlands brand and move onto a better product.

Thanks, Dodger
Old 06-14-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
"Reel Bait" Tournament series flasher jigs (come with small willow blade hanging off bottom, you could easily add a #4 colorado though for some serious thump) They come with Gamagatsu hooks. Sticky sharp and very strong.

Aaron Weibe of Uncut Angling uses them for 40+ inch lake trout.

They're pricey but worth it.

Got some at Cabelas.
I will check these out. Thanks!

Dodger.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:34 AM

Loosen your drag a little, and lighter line will solve your problem. If you can't net a 12 lb or slightly larger fish on 8 lb test your doing something wrong. Lighter line will help in getting more bites also.

They are catching 1000 lb Tuna on about 200 lb test line.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:53 AM

https://highcaliberlures.ca
I'm telling you....you wont be disappointed.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:30 AM

I have also noticed the weaker hooks on the Thumper Jigs. Its too bad cause i really like them and the extra action they have.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
https://highcaliberlures.ca
I'm telling you....you wont be disappointed.
I like the look of these. I’m going to order a few of these and possibly a few of the Reel Bait jigs for summer trials 😉

Thanks all !
Hmmm Tuna on a jig.

Dodger
Old 06-14-2019, 10:50 AM

Reel Bait Jigs... that is the one I couldn't remember the name of. Saw them on Uncut Angling. The tournament series have a Gamakatsu Black Nickel hook.

https://reelbait.com/Category/tourn_1_4
Old 06-14-2019, 12:24 PM

Imo the best jigs and soft plastics are from BFISHN tackle. The h20 precision jig comes in many colours and sizes. Their Authentx moxi and pulse-r are the best walleye soft plastics

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
Imo the best jigs and soft plastics are from BFISHN tackle. The h20 precision jig comes in many colours and sizes. Their Authentx moxi and pulse-r are the best walleye soft plastics

Thanks from me, not the wife so much

Dodger
Old 06-14-2019, 02:44 PM

Sourdough Bay Supplies in Medicine Hat has a great selection of quality jigheads.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:55 PM

Default Chinese soft hooks

It's hard to buy anything not made in China these days.Swedish,Norway or Japan /Magatzu hooks are all VG.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:49 PM

Mizuno but only the ones with the red hook. Best going and lighten up on the line. I used to run 12lb braid but now run 8lb P line. No issues with larger fish just use a good light rod and reel. Way more fun and you will not be straightening your hooks
Old 06-14-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Mizuno but only the ones with the red hook. Best going and lighten up on the line. I used to run 12lb braid but now run 8lb P line. No issues with larger fish just use a good light rod and reel. Way more fun and you will not be straightening your hooks
I keep the tension reasonably loose but when we hit late July and into August I tighten up as I do not like stressing out the fish to much. Southern AB reservoirs get pretty warm. Again all was good for many many years but this last batch of Little Thumpers the hook is just a pc of wire.

To continue the rant, my new titanium leaders are giving out 1 a trip. Before I would use the same leader for a year, now I had to move up to a very high end product. Everyone likes to screw over the working Joe.

Dodger.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:40 AM

Hey dodger long time not chat.

Head to canadian tire and try some fin tech knuckle ball jigs. I have never had a problem with them.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:17 AM

What’s your favourite colour and size I will send you one that you will never straighten out.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I keep the tension reasonably loose but when we hit late July and into August I tighten up as I do not like stressing out the fish to much. Southern AB reservoirs get pretty warm. Again all was good for many many years but this last batch of Little Thumpers the hook is just a pc of wire.

To continue the rant, my new titanium leaders are giving out 1 a trip. Before I would use the same leader for a year, now I had to move up to a very high end product. Everyone likes to screw over the working Joe.

Dodger.
Why titanium leader? 15-20 lb fluorocarbon is all you want for southern Alberta reservoirs, pike dont break 20lb fluoro too easy if you hook into one