Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-08-2019, 09:56 PM

My old man has been using 150gr corelokts for the last 30 years on elk with zero issues. He knows his gun, he knows exactly where that cheapo round is gona go and that’s all that matters.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:12 PM

When my daughter and I got our 270s, we put a box of every factory ammo available through them. (hers Savage Axis with a Boyds stock, mine Browning XBolt) The difference in the groups was absolutely amazing. At 100 yards, anything from under an inch to more than 8 inches for 3-shot groups. The Browning likes Fusion 130gr the best, the Savage - Federal Premium 150gr BTSP. We have each taken elk with these loads. The Barnes and Hornady ammunition shot the worst of alll! Accuracy for the gun you are using matters the most of all.

Vic
Old 06-09-2019, 01:07 AM

Like CAT here on AO has said it's the nut behind the bolt.I will be coming up to 5 decades of shooting and hunting and that line by CAT is about the truest an most solid piece of advise every shooter should understand.

Whatever you put in that 270 with all the modern reloads,if you do your end properly I think you will do just fine and don't over think it.

JD
Old 06-09-2019, 07:46 AM

^^^ X's 2

Yuppers,,, find a hunting boolit that shoots gooder out of the pipe and get at it...

One of my old school shooting friends is closing in on 40 years of 270 Winchester,,, semi pointed round noise 150gr'ers...

From Sheep to thick skins,,, his walls are full of some awesome critters,,, shot placement is everything in his books,,, He's been using shooting sticks lately... LOL...

The folks in our area know him well,,, he has a few AG awards for his efforts,,, Frugal ammo that shoots good and boots on the ground...

Cheers from the North

👍
Old 06-09-2019, 08:04 AM

One thing to add to all this insightful commentary

When testing different ammo, the barrel should be cleaned thoroughly prior to testing the new bullet. I've seen this several times shooting TSX's. They may shoot poorly as the old copper in the barrel is harder then the alloy in the monometals.

Had good success with 140g tsx reloads, but most any bullet will work, especially on a broadside shot. Nothing wrong with the blue box federals.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:12 AM

There are guys shooting elk, moose every year with .243's, 30-30's, etc with the cheapest cup/core bullets they can buy, rarely if ever need a second shot. Then there are the guys who shoot .340 Weatherbys and 338 mags, etc with the most expensive premium bullets they can buy yet they leave wounded animals to wander around the woods suffering slow deaths. It's all about the nut behind the bolt.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
There are guys shooting elk, moose every year with .243's, 30-30's, etc with the cheapest cup/core bullets they can buy, rarely if ever need a second shot. Then there are the guys who shoot .340 Weatherbys and 338 mags, etc with the most expensive premium bullets they can buy yet they leave wounded animals to wander around the woods suffering slow deaths. It's all about the nut behind the bolt.
I can’t count how many elk I’ve killed with a .243win. What’s been said already find a bullet that has the best grouping and you will do just fine killing elk, because before there were all these fancy wiz bang bullets they were still killing elk. Learn consistency with accuracy and you’ll have it made.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:31 AM

I have taken elk with my underrated 6MM Remington and 100 grain blue box Powershocks. Several other members have all referenced accuracy and shot placement over size and cost of ammunition.

Although my current 270 is a WSM that loves 140 grain Accubonds, my Plain Jane 270Win does a nice job on elk and bear with 130 grain blue box shelf loads.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberle View Post
Hi everyone,

I am planning an antlerless elk hunt this coming winter. I'll be using my .270 Winchester. I do not load my own cartridges, so I'm limited to factory ammunition. So far I've mostly shot 'cheap' Federal Blue Box from this gun. I get decent groups with it (1 1/8 inch or so at 100). My question is whether you guys would consider it acceptable for elk. And if not, what would be the most logical step up in factory ammo? Would Fusions be significantly better? Or should I be looking at partitions, tsx, etc.? I will not be attempting a shot beyond 250 yards under any circumstances, regardless of the load.
I shoot a .270 win as well. A few years ago I shot a decent whitetail buck with a frontal shot. It hit bone and the blue box federal bullet pretty much exploded. There is no doubt that you will be able to kill an elk with this bullet, however, I would suggest going to something that holds together a bit better. This way you can avoid having to pick bullet fragments out of your venison tacos!

I retrieved the bullet from the deer, and when I weighed it, it had lost over 35gr. of it’s original 130gr. Weight. Also, the copper jacket separated from the lead. Not optimal bullet performance. But, it will still kill quite efficiently. I have shot more than half of my deer with the federal blue box. I load my own now though. Nosler accubonds. Great bullet so far, only have one kill with them though. I’ll be trying them out on a cow elk this coming January. Hoping to keep the shot under 200yds. Hope this helped. Good luck to you!!
Old 06-09-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
My old man has been using 150gr corelokts for the last 30 years on elk with zero issues. He knows his gun, he knows exactly where that cheapo round is gona go and that’s all that matters.
On several occasions I have put 150 grain .270 bullets through both shoulder blades of a moose, I'm not sure how much more penetration one needs than that. They may be cheap, but their terminal performance is good, and more importantly very repeatable. I've used several different brands of bonded bullets, and sometimes I've pulled out really ugly looking mushrooms with no real reason that I can see for the poor performance. Corelocts have always performed very predictably for me, so I continue to go back to using them.

All I want is insurance I'll take out the lungs if I clip the shoulderblade, beyond that elk are tough enough that you cant afford to make a bad shot no matter what bullet, or even round, that you are using.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:18 PM

I have taken elk and even moose with factory 270 ammo
Old 06-10-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
I have taken elk and even moose with factory 270 ammo

Old 06-12-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_Hunter View Post
The Barnes Vortex ammo would be my choice also, as long as accuracy from your rifle was acceptable.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-