Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-19-2014, 08:08 PM

Default A little Article on Making a rimfire thickness Guage

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...s-gauge-55016/

Now I just need to find a .243 casing.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:03 PM

I made one out of spare parts from princess auto. Im on the road this weekend but ill trybtonpodt picks when I get home. I tried the old 243 case method and found it too slow and awkward. I used parts I already owned but I think it would cost about 20 bucks to make
Old 04-20-2014, 08:19 AM

They are fun to play with, and many years back there was enough difference in Rim thickness to make sorting target ammo that way make sense. Today, if you are shooting any version of Target ammo you won't find any differences in Rim thickness. If you are using this on commercial ammo like Rem Thunderbolts, variations in Rim thickness is the least of your worries. You can shrink groups a little but it isn't going to make it into Eley Tenex. It is much more effective to just buy better ammo.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:48 AM

Just use the Stoney point overall length guage with the .243 donut. Works the same way.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:16 PM

22-250 cases work fine drop a 22 rimfire down lead first stick it in the dial caliper and bingo! Super quick and easy!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:24 PM

I disagree I sorted a 100 box of cci green tag target ammo and my groups shank by almost half! Although I never did try it with eley match ammo? If you sort your ammo and try many different brands it's surprising how well you can get some stuff to shot. By the way my cz-silhouette shot green tag better then the eley at the start even before I sorted. Granted the eley I was shooting was there mid range stuff not the high end?

QUOTE=Dean2;2410434]They are fun to play with, and many years back there was enough difference in Rim thickness to make sorting target ammo that way make sense. Today, if you are shooting any version of Target ammo you won't find any differences in Rim thickness. If you are using this on commercial ammo like Rem Thunderbolts, variations in Rim thickness is the least of your worries. You can shrink groups a little but it isn't going to make it into Eley Tenex. It is much more effective to just buy better ammo.[/QUOTE]