Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-22-2018, 03:50 PM

Default Stopping bucks for bow shot,yay or nay?

What is it with all these “celebrity hunters” on WTV that think it’s necessary to stop a walking broadside buck at 17 yards in the clear before releasing an arrow?
Almost seems like it’s “what all the cool kids do” wether they need to or not?
Granted,I’ve only killed a dozen or so animals with bow,mostly deer,2 bears,and a moose......only once did I feel it was necessary to stop a buck with a grunt as he was walking by my stand at a pretty good clip.Ive shot at least 3 other deer,one of my bears,and the moose on the move,following them with my sight pin,anticipating their next step,and waiting for that next step forward exposing the vitals.
Do these so-called/self-proclaimed “pros” not understand the concept of leading a shot?Have they never done any wingshooting??
Don’t get me wrong,I get it,and I get that the idea is to stop the animal in an opening for a clear and ethical shot,but it seems to me after watching farrrrr too much WTV marathons some days,that often as not these bowhunters are stopping slow moving/relaxed animals when it’s not only not necessary,but often as not detrimental to their success by alerting a relaxed and unaware animal and risking having the deer “jump the string”.
It’s not often that they show the misses on TV,although some shows do.....but I’ve noticed a good many deer that do get hit are jumping the string and it’s only a matter of luck or the deer was so close it got hit before it could get out of the arrow’s way.....or often they make a bad hit on a long-ish shot,say 30-40+ yards,imho mostly because they grunted to stop the deer and put it on alert vs if they had just led him a bit and released the deer wouldn’t know what hit him,or wouldn’t have had as much time to react if he heard the bow.
Anyhow,that’s my thoughts on it,these TV Hunters drive me nuts with their rediculous BS some times,and they are teaching kids and fans bad habits having them think that they need to give the obligatory grunt before every shot when in fact it does more harm then good often as not imho.
End of rant....I just couldn’t help myself as WTV is on in background as I type,and this hunter chic just did the most pathetic girly sounding bleat/grunt/noise I’ve ever heard or seen .....3X no less!!!! ....to shoot a near motionless buck at point blank range.....gimme a break sweetheart,just STFU and shoot the damn deer already,you are not cool and you don’t even know what you don’t know about deer hunting,yer just a skirt in a tree.🙄
Old 12-22-2018, 04:44 PM

I agree with your logic.
No need to put them high alert and the sound of their foot steps might just be enough to muffle the sound of the string.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:42 AM

Not to divert the point, but also will not take a rifle shot at Yukon moose with 4' wide chest at 150 yards, will grunt to call into 50 yards then with 300 win mag resting on tripod. Wish moose would present this shot every time.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
What is it with all these “celebrity hunters” on WTV that think it’s necessary to stop a walking broadside buck at 17 yards in the clear before releasing an arrow?
Granted,I’ve only killed a dozen or so animals with bow,mostly deer,2 bears,and a moose......only once did I feel it was necessary to stop a buck with a grunt as he was walking by my stand at a pretty good clip.Ive shot at least 3 other deer,one of my bears,and the moose on the move,following them with my sight pin,anticipating their next step,and waiting for that next step forward exposing the vitals.
Do these so-called/self-proclaimed “pros” not understand the concept of leading a shot?Have they never done any wingshooting??
Don’t get me wrong,I get it,and I get that the idea is to stop the animal in an opening for a clear and ethical shot,but it seems to me after watching farrrrr too much WTV marathons some days,that often as not these bowhunters are stopping slow moving/relaxed animals when it’s not only not necessary,but often as not detrimental to their success by alerting a relaxed and unaware animal and risking having the deer “jump the string”.
It’s not often that they show the misses on TV,although some shows do.....but I’ve noticed a good many deer that do get hit are jumping the string and it’s only a matter of luck or the deer was so close it got hit before it could get out of the arrow’s way.....or often they make a bad hit on a long-ish shot,say 30-40+ yards,imho mostly because they grunted to stop the deer and put it on alert vs if they had just led him a bit and released the deer wouldn’t know what hit him,or wouldn’t have had as much time to react if he heard the bow.
Anyhow,that’s my thoughts on it,these TV Hunters drive me nuts with their rediculous BS some times,and they are teaching kids and fans bad habits having them think that they need to give the obligatory grunt before every shot when in fact it does more harm then good often as not imho.
End of rant....I just couldn’t help myself as WTV is on in background as I type,and this hunter chic just did the most pathetic girly sounding bleat/grunt/noise I’ve ever heard or seen .....3X no less!!!! ....to shoot a near motionless buck at point blank range.....gimme a break sweetheart,just STFU and shoot the damn deer already,you are not cool and you don’t even know what you don’t know about deer hunting,yer just a skirt in a tree.��
So much wrong with the above statement.. Leading a shot with archery tackle, I will just stop there...
Old 12-23-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
End of rant....I just couldn’t help myself as WTV is on in background as I type,and this hunter chic just did the most pathetic girly sounding bleat/grunt/noise I’ve ever heard or seen .....3X no less!!!! ....to shoot a near motionless buck at point blank range.....gimme a break sweetheart,just STFU and shoot the damn deer already,you are not cool and you don’t even know what you don’t know about deer hunting,yer just a skirt in a tree.🙄
Don’t feed the troll.

BW
Old 12-23-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Imagine all the newbies watching WTV seeing professional guys “leading the shot” with archery gear... every one of them would think it was acceptable and that they could also do so. Just like the guy that doesn’t take the shot at 300 yards and instead calls the bull in to 50 yards - it’s about what they’re presenting to the public as acceptable and ethical.

I’ve had several tv shows hunt with me during my guiding career. All of them bowhunters, and none of them would take a shot on camera at a mule deer beyond 30 yards. All for the same reason - that they don’t want to be on record doing anything that anyone could construe as unethical.

It’s one thing if Joe Blow the bowhunter wants to take a shot at a walking deer on the back 40 without an audience. It’s quite another to “lead the shot” with archery tackle when you’re in the full public eye - and not just the hunting community as an audience, but every single internet troll, anti-hunter and neutral member of the public.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
Imagine all the newbies watching WTV seeing professional guys “leading the shot” with archery gear... every one of them would think it was acceptable and that they could also do so. Just like the guy that doesn’t take the shot at 300 yards and instead calls the bull in to 50 yards - it’s about what they’re presenting to the public as acceptable and ethical.

I’ve had several tv shows hunt with me during my guiding career. All of them bowhunters, and none of them would take a shot on camera at a mule deer beyond 30 yards. All for the same reason - that they don’t want to be on record doing anything that anyone could construe as unethical.

It’s one thing if Joe Blow the bowhunter wants to take a shot at a walking deer on the back 40 without an audience. It’s quite another to “lead the shot” with archery tackle when you’re in the full public eye - and not just the hunting community as an audience, but every single internet troll, anti-hunter and neutral member of the public.
Exactly
Great post.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:46 PM

Stop them. I've bowhunted for over 50 years now and am still learning... Forget most of what you see on tv. In 1991 I messed up by not stopping a monster buck I'd been scouting all season. To make a long, sad story short, I had him at 14 yards walking broadside. I was on the ground. I figured I'd hold on his shoulder and would hit him right in the boiler room. Wrong. He stopped in his tracks when I released the arrow and hit him square in the shoulder blade. All of 2 inches of penetration. I didn't see him for about 10 days and then he showed up again with a bad limp. Saw him twice more but not within bow range. Never saw him again and to the best of my knowledge no one every killed him. He was a massive 8X10 with double drop tines and would have easily scored over 200 inches.... I've played that shot over and over again 10,000 times.. Had I stopped him, he'd been a dead buck....
Old 12-24-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
So much wrong with the above statement.. Leading a shot with archery tackle, I will just stop there...
I guess I don’t so much mean “leading the shot” like you would a goose,rather more just following/waiting for that shoulder to step forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Don’t feed the troll.

BW
Wutever bigman....my trolling techniques must be effective,I got a bigmouth to bite eh?
Quote:

Ummmmm....TV Hunters enjoy the luxury of editing and only showing the public what they want them to see,happens all the time.Theres no law that says TV hosts must show raw unedited footage.If they choose to throw themselves under the bus of public scrutiny and internet trolls,that’s their own stupidity.

All I’m saying is this whole grunting at every single deer before each and every bow shot is getting old and rediculous,there’s no need for it much of the time,and it is in fact counterproductive many other times to put the deer on alert prior to releasing your arrow.Seems to me like it’s almost the fashionable thing to do in many cases,like it makes for good TV and “oh look at me,I’m a pro bowhunter and I grunt at every deer cuz that’s what all us pros do”,,,,,gimme a break....🙄
So much wrong with it.....I’m just gonna stop there....
Old 12-24-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:

Imagine the Newbie watching Tim Wells,he takes and makes walking,running,flying birds and jumping fish shots pretty much every episode.
Granted,not everybody is Tim Wells and 99.9% of archers have no bizness attempting the shots he makes.
Then the very next episode on WTV is “Long Range Pursuit” or “Best of the West”,killing elk at 850 and deer at 1100y......but you claim a 300y shot on a bull moose might appear unethical,therefore they call it in to 50??
Wutever.....gimme a break,it has diddly to do with ethics and everything to do with making good TV......just like these TV clowns that stop a slow walking buck at 20y broadside in a hayfield ...because they think it looks cool.Different story if you NEED to stop him in a lane in the woods,but grunting just for the sake of grunting and “good” TV is just retarded....9x outta 10 that buck they stop with a grunt is already recoiling before the arrow hits,wouldn’t happen if they just stfu and shoot.One could even argue that NOT stopping the deer and shooting at a relaxed buck is in fact a higher percentage shot of hitting where you aim and not having the deer jump string making a bad hit....,therefore,the MORE ethical choice.

Last edited by West O'5; 12-24-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:14 PM

If I can avoid it, I’ll never take a moving shot on an animal with archery gear. I have stopped many animals I have shot, others I wait till they stop and I make the shot. Aim bottom third and no higher than midpoint, at reasonable archery ranges things should work out most times.

LC
Old 12-24-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If I can avoid it, I’ll never take a moving shot on an animal with archery gear. I have stopped many animals I have shot, others I wait till they stop and I make the shot. Aim bottom third and no higher than midpoint, at reasonable archery ranges things should work out most times.

LC
I couldn’t agree more...on all of it including shot placement....the key words being “reasonable archery range”.
I’m just saying that stopping a buck at 30-40 yards and beyond is high risk of having a jumper....inside 25 probly ain’t gonna make a difference,stop him or not,he probly won’t have time to react before the arrow gets there with a reasonably fast modern bow.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:13 PM

I’d rather stop an animal regardless of the distance and have a stationary target that might possibly jump the string. Over a target that is already moving and miss judging speed they’re travelling, changing distance from me, and putting it in their guts or right into a shoulder blade. Don’t really care what it makes me look like. To me it’s the ethical choice to stop them.