Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-15-2018, 07:12 AM

Default Shootng Form

Does anyone not see the issue with her shooting form?

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-15-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:18 AM

Are you talking about the wacky head and eye game going on, it took me a second to realize she was aiming with her wrong eye.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:22 AM

Have seen it more times than I should

-Billy Molls
Old 12-15-2018, 07:30 AM

Horatio Cane(David Caruso) from CSI Miami did that stunt all the time. And the guy from Wild TV with the rather large frontal lobe, did it too.

I think I also saw a stock maker that supplied a weird low comb, offset cast stock for folks so afflicted.
Edit:
It was MPI!

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 12-15-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Horatio Cane(David Caruso) from CSI Miami did that stunt all the time. And the guy from Wild TV with the rather large frontal lobe, did it too.

I think I also saw a stock maker that supplied a weird low comb, offset cast stock for folks so afflicted.
Edit:
It was MPI!
I have seen special stocks on clays shotguns, to allow this.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:52 AM

My 9 year old daughter did this until I moved the rifle to her left shoulder. Now at eleven she’s a very competent left hand shooter.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-15-2018, 08:06 AM

Opposite eye dominance is especially detrimental to wing shooters. Consistent and proper mounting of a shotgun is of the utmost importance as the dominant eye becomes a part of the sighting system. With a rifle, a shooter can learn to view the sights or scope with either eye and a bunch of practice or as shown, manipulate one's head to align the dominant eye.

This brings into question some very common "expert" advise about wing shooting and shotgun fit.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:10 AM
Shooting Xs

Yup ,took my 11 year old Nephew to the Range for The Carnival shoot for the kids ,first time shooting.
Didn't take long to figure out he's is right hand -left eye dominant,soon as I switched the rifle to his left side he was ringing steel Gophers.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Opposite eye dominance is especially detrimental to wing shooters. Consistent and proper mounting of a shotgun is of the utmost importance as the dominant eye becomes a part of the sighting system. With a rifle, a shooter can learn to view the sights or scope with either eye and a bunch of practice or as shown, manipulate one's head to align the dominant eye.

This brings into question some very common "expert" advise about wing shooting and shotgun fit.
This brings nothing about shotgun fit into question. While a person may be able to manipulate his/her head to look into a scope, because of the added height above the receiver, it would be next to impossible with a shotgun, unless the shotgun has an extremely high rib. Not to mention how slow and awkward it would be for wingshooting. And depending on the scope/rifle, and how it is mounted, doing this with a rifle with significant recoil, could result in injury to the shooter.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:57 AM

I would assume that the individual in the original photo is not in that booth for their shooting skill.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-15-2018, 09:01 AM

Have a friend that shoots this way with both a rifle and shotgun. Has to use a speed bead on the shotgun. Probably one of the best shots I know. Ona rifle has to use a rail or high mounts. Obviously cannot shoot a bow
Old 12-15-2018, 09:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Hey if your good lookin' you can hold that rifle any way you want

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-15-2018, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Hey if your good lookin' you can hold that rifle any way you want
You see the rock she’s wearing lol
Old 12-15-2018, 09:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41thunder View Post
You see the rock she’s wearing lol
Could buy a few fine shootin'irons with that baby!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-15-2018, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:

Edit:
It was MPI!
Bryce got into too many scraps, he can’t see out of his right eye very well. Instead of shooting southpaw he just adjusted his head position.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:36 AM

Many females are left eye dominant. My wife and two daughters are. One daughter 6 is left handed so once I teach her to shoot it will be okay. My other daughter wants to look through with her left eye. She is 7, i did get her shooting okay with her right eye. Need more practice.

One of the first dates I took my now wife on was shooting some clays. She couldn't hit a single one, made her switch to left side and she did pretty good. Rifle she can shoot right handed as long as she concentrates, pistol is a work in progress.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
This brings nothing about shotgun fit into question. While a person may be able to manipulate his/her head to look into a scope, because of the added height above the receiver, it would be next to impossible with a shotgun, unless the shotgun has an extremely high rib. Not to mention how slow and awkward it would be for wingshooting. And depending on the scope/rifle, and how it is mounted, doing this with a rifle with significant recoil, could result in injury to the shooter.
Sorry Elk, that wasn't directed at you. It was directed at experts that like to share advise about shotgun fit and shooting with very limited understanding of physics and the subtle differences of each human.

Placement of the eye in relationship to POI (exactly where the shotgun is pointing) can change by several yards if the person's is say two inches to the left like in the example above. In reality, most people miss by a foot or so because they do not suffer from the cross eye dominance issue. Their misses can be a result of failing to properly judge the speed and/or flight of the bird but more often than not it is the result of improper eye placement in relationship to the stock and exactly where the barrel is pointing.

If a person was to point with arm extended at an object 30-50 yards away they would soon realize that moving their head even the slightest fraction of an inch would result in their point being off.

For an expert shooter, sticking a wafer thin pad on top of the butt stock or sanding even a millimeter or two off can result in a foot or more change in POI.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:02 PM

I’m more interested in “ what the hell kind of gun is that.” It says BroCock on the side.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I’m more interested in “ what the hell kind of gun is that.” It says BroCock on the side.
Its a PCP air rifle
Old 12-15-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Many females are left eye dominant.
Not to be that guy but I don’t think there is any evidence of that. What I think you should say is “In my house, many females are left eye dominant.”
Old 12-15-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Not to be that guy but I don’t think there is any evidence of that. What I think you should say is “In my house, many females are left eye dominant.”
Or, “any females with left eyes are dominant”.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Edit:
It was MPI!
awesome some people in this thread are not so tolerant and would probably dictate to others which bathroom they should attend
Old 12-15-2018, 03:26 PM

It prevent neck fatigue, you just lay your head down on the comb.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
I know that I've read many times that it is more common for females to be left eye dominant. That the only reason I got my wife to try shooting with her left side. I'm not that smart to think of it on my own. I would have just thought she couldn't hit anything.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...tNBr5S&ampcf=1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...s-EHQK45VD0yvg
Old 12-15-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
I know that I've read many times that it is more common for females to be left eye dominant. That the only reason I got my wife to try shooting with her left side. I'm not that smart to think of it on my own. I would have just thought she couldn't hit anything.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...tNBr5S&ampcf=1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...s-EHQK45VD0yvg
Your right, it’s more common than in men but,
By percentage less women are right eye dominant then men, but not by much. The majority of women are still right eye dominant (60%). Women are also more likely then men to not have a dominant eye, weird creatures that they are.
I’m also left eye dominant and shoot right handed, I just close the left eye cause I’m too lazy to learn to shoot left handed.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:35 AM

Im a right hand shooter left eye dominate . Rifle i can shoot right handed . Shotgun couldnt hit the broad side of a barn untill i started shooting left . Hand gun i shoot exactly how she is .
Old 12-16-2018, 04:27 PM

I'm cross-dominant (left eye, right hand). There are some interesting ways people try to use the right shoulder with left eye such as 45 degree offset rails.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
My 9 year old daughter did this until I moved the rifle to her left shoulder. Now at eleven she’s a very competent left hand shooter.
Maybe I will try this. I always thought my 11 year old was forgetting which eye to look through. I'll try her shooting left hand and see how comfortable it is. Might be the answer.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:08 PM

I bought a right hand bolt rifle and am right handed. Cool. Can’t see outta my right eye so I shot left handed. It was awkward at first but got used to it. Then I jamed my hand between the bolt and scope one time on a quick reload. No bueno. That sucked. I bought a left hand .223 and it was like magic. Sold all my right hand rifles and replaced them with lefties. I owe all this to a more experienced shooter that happened to be behind me while I was shooting. He noticed my head cocked way over and corrected me. That was 30 years ago. I still hold my pistol in my right hand and aim with my left eye.I cant hold my .38 super in my left hand and shoot. It’s un natural. I’m trying though.
Tullfan
Old 12-16-2018, 06:57 PM

Lately it has been more of a matter to see irons half-ass clearly, see thru a peep to the target properly, remember to push my glasses down to use a scope. Going to try a reflex sight now, see how that goes. How much blur can I put up with in what situation.