Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Thank you for your concern, and just want to say you are very right. When it first happened, STROKE never crossed my mind. I let it go nearly two days after my neck snapped. It wasn't immediate, but I couldn't walk. I was vomiting, I just thought I was really sick. It doesn't just happen to old people. I was young and healthy. I suffered permanent brain damage because I didn't go in for treatment soon enough. I think I just barely made it, because I went unconcious in the ER waiting room. I was young, and stubborn, and thought I'd be okay. But I wasn't.
I am just glad you are ok.
To be completely honest people that are having strokes very often do not realise it. My Mom called me one day, said there was something wrong, please come over. I had the idea but knew the second I looked at her, she was absolutely wiped and her head was uncharacteristically tilted to one side. The slight slurring sealed it; 911 on the way immediately. It was interesting that I made the call and got it on my 911 radio in less than 20 seconds. She caught it in time but had she sat in her chair confused for the rest of the day it would likely have been very bad.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-17-2018, 10:18 AM

Watch for the signs of a Stroke
My buddy was driving home couldn't lift his arm to signal a turn when he got home didn't feel good, a couple hours later one side of his face dropped and asked his wife to take him to the ER they treated him right away however that was his last day of work he has been confined to a wheelchair ever since he never saw that coming at all.

Signs that you may be having a stroke:
Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body.
Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding.
Sudden trouble seeing or blurred vision in one or both eyes.
Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:34 PM

Last Fall I was feeling crappy and had irregular heat beat, they did all the blood and urine tests and the crappy feeling was just a carry over from the flu shot. For the irregular heart beat they did the ECG, wired up for 24 hrs on a heart monitor, echo cardiogram and stress test. The cardiologist said that the irregular heart beat was non life threatening and just to keep my potassium and magnesium levels up as that is what regulates heart rhythm. Not much magnesium and a banana a day will give me enough potassium. He said my heart was strong, the valves are tight and no sign of any blockage. He said just keep doing what you are doing. I walk 2 miles (3.22 km) per day and 15 flights of stairs per day. The old saying is you can exercise and stay young, or sit and watch yourself get old. I will be 77 in August.