Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2021, 09:27 PM

I built a sauna at my cabin. Haven’t built one at home yet, but am working out how to make it happen. To anyone who is thinking about it I say go for it! There’s nothing like a real wood fired sauna. Mould is not an issue, and ours sees heavy use with kids dumping and throwing lots of water. Within 1/2hr of using it it’s bone dry from residual heat.

Here’s a couple pics.

Old 12-23-2021, 10:24 PM

I built a sauna at my cabin. Haven’t built one at home yet, but am working out how to make it happen. To anyone who is thinking about it I say go for it! There’s nothing like a real wood fired sauna. Mould is not an issue, and ours sees heavy use with kids dumping and throwing lots of water. Within 1/2hr of using it it’s bone dry from residual heat.

Here’s a couple pics.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mSTDgr]

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/2mSUSp9]

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/2mSRz5Z]

Last edited by stonefish; 12-23-2021 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-24-2021, 01:54 PM

That looks awesome man! And I can see the field covered in snow right by the sauna? Great place to jump in and roll after a good steam!
And I do agree that the wood fired stove has way better steam, it is “lighter” -how we Russians call it. Feels better than an electric one. Don’t know why.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:36 PM

FYI -- just got in from taking a sauna at -30 outside, inside I got the temperature to 110 degrees Celcius (230 F), and the glass block window I put in is still intact. I was worried it might crack eventually with such temperature differences (it is often too hot to touch on the inside), but after a year so far it's held up remarkably well. If you are considering adding a window to get natural light in your sauna, I would recommend using glass block, with proper glass block mortar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qHJrFgp.jpg (30.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 12-19-2022, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1894Cowboy View Post
FYI -- just got in from taking a sauna at -30 outside, inside I got the temperature to 110 degrees Celcius (230 F), and the glass block window I put in is still intact. I was worried it might crack eventually with such temperature differences (it is often too hot to touch on the inside), but after a year so far it's held up remarkably well. If you are considering adding a window to get natural light in your sauna, I would recommend using glass block, with proper glass block mortar.
Wow. 110 is hot. It hurts to breathe through the nose at that temp.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
Wow. 110 is hot. It hurts to breathe through the nose at that temp.
Yup. I usually get it to 120. It's skin-searing hot.
Old 12-20-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater cowboy View Post
Here are a few pictures of my sauna. Modeled it after being in Finland 30 years ago and everyone there uses them. Built it about 7 years ago with square fir logs,pine interior and cedar benches. Big heavy wood stove. 8x8 and a 4x8 front porch
Built a smaller one with my buddy in the city out of a shed package. He has had no issues yet !!
No comparison between an electric and a wood fired. Been in many and wood is by far better. Just went from the hot tub to the sauna earlier. Best sleep ever ...
Salty
The sauna that Salty helped me build was fully insulated (including the floor). I used a wood-fired tent stove from CT, cedar deck boards I bought on sale from HD and silver-sided sauna paper on top of the roksol insulation to reflect more heat. In 20 minutes it heats to a comfortable 150 degrees. For wood stove air I placed two x 1.5 inch pipes in the floor to bring air into the stove. Quite often this setup is so hot I have to crack the door. I put an oven broiler pan with grey landscape rock on top of the stove and use a pop bottle filled with water to get the steam going...spraying it on the rocks and the stove pipe. The city or the neighbors did not have any problems with its use here in the city. For safety, I would not put it too close to the house in case it catches fire. Too regulate temperature, I burn spruce or pine when it is really cold and poplar when it is -10C or warmer.

Enjoy your Banya!

Hoopi
Old 12-20-2022, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Don't know about Okotoks but in Edmonton the city will order to demolish it if it is not up to their likening....

Put it on wheels.
Old 12-20-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopi View Post
The sauna that Salty helped me build was fully insulated (including the floor). I used a wood-fired tent stove from CT, cedar deck boards I bought on sale from HD and silver-sided sauna paper on top of the roksol insulation to reflect more heat. In 20 minutes it heats to a comfortable 150 degrees. For wood stove air I placed two x 1.5 inch pipes in the floor to bring air into the stove. Quite often this setup is so hot I have to crack the door. I put an oven broiler pan with grey landscape rock on top of the stove and use a pop bottle filled with water to get the steam going...spraying it on the rocks and the stove pipe. The city or the neighbors did not have any problems with its use here in the city. For safety, I would not put it too close to the house in case it catches fire. Too regulate temperature, I burn spruce or pine when it is really cold and poplar when it is -10C or warmer.

Enjoy your Banya!

Hoopi
Oh man that sounds absolutely awesome! Especially in a weather like it is now, what could be better than a banya! I was able to source some really good VENIK from Ukraine, got it shipped here, took about 2 months but they are phenomenally good!
Old 12-21-2022, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1894Cowboy View Post
110 Celsius wow that seems way to hot, maybe my thermometer is out to lunch. I have one of those bbl saunas and find at 50 degrees with a little water on the rocks gets pretty darn hot. Just googled it 70-90 degrees is normal while steam rooms are 40-50 degrees. I guess I use mine more as a steam room.