Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-29-2020, 04:15 PM

Default A bolt gun stock

Got a Abolt with a walnut stock. I am looking at lightening it a bit by putting a synthetic stock of some sort on it. Brownings website States that my gun with the synthetic fibreglass stock from factory only shaves off 3oz, will I see more weight savings by going to a Boyds or similar aftermarket stock?

the goal is just to lighten it enough for mountain hunting the gun sits at 8lbs right now.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJay View Post
Got a Abolt with a walnut stock. I am looking at lightening it a bit by putting a synthetic stock of some sort on it. Brownings website States that my gun with the synthetic fibreglass stock from factory only shaves off 3oz, will I see more weight savings by going to a Boyds or similar aftermarket stock?

the goal is just to lighten it enough for mountain hunting the gun sits at 8lbs right now.
By the time you buy a new stock to save a few ounces your total cost will be at least $200 or more depending on your selection.

You don't say if the gun was new or used. If its used you may be better to sell the rifle for close to what you paid for it, and buy a lighter one.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:14 PM

I had an A bolt with a walnut stock, nice gun but that stock was just too flimsy in the for-end, got rid of it. It shot well and was light enough, but that stock nixed it.

Grizz
Old 06-29-2020, 07:48 PM

Buy a gun built the way you want it. Will be FAR cheaper than trying to change the one you have. A stock that will take any significant amount of weight off will cost you 800 plus. Sell this one and put the money towards the new one. Take a look at the Weatherby ultra light, Tikka light, Feildcraft, NULA, and there are a bunch more. I think even Browning has a light weight version now.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJay View Post
will I see more weight savings by going to a Boyds or similar aftermarket stock?
Boyds laminated stocks are heavier than any single wood stock and almost any synthetic stock. Many synthetic stocks have the added problem of not being able to adjust the trigger pull length easily.

Vic