Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-23-2020, 09:17 AM

Default Marlin 1894 sight issues

I’ve got a new marlin 1894 in .44 mag that came with the picatinny rail and xs sights from marlin. My problem is that I can’t get my elevation sighted in. When i shoot it at 25 yards it’s fine when I move out to 50 yards i can’t get it to hit high enough. I’ve maxed out the peep and I’m still hitting 4-6 inches low. I would like to zero it at 100 but at this point it just feels like wasting ammo. I’m trying just factory Ammo now. I had planned on getting a buddy to make handloads for it. I tried a leupold venom red dot on the rail as well and run into the same issues. Does anyone see what I’m doing wrong or have any suggestions. I was looking at just taking the rail off and mounting a Williams peep on it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:34 AM

Ran into a similar issue on my 1895G with a Leupold vx3 1.75-6 scope not having enough vertical adjustment (designed for higher velocity).

You can do one of two things: either raise the rear by shimming or remove height from the front sight blade. I think you will find you are going to be at least 12” low at 100. Trig tells us you should need to take off about .080” at the front if your sights are 24” apart. That’s a starting point...

This was a very common problem on the Rossi m92
rifles in 44 mag and there is lots of info on the interweb about fixes.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:49 AM

Even out of a rifle a 44 mag doesn't have the Kupusta for ranges beyond 100 yards. By the time it gets to 100 yards it only has about 900 FPS and that is with Horn Flex loads. There is a reason it hits properly at 25 yards, that is where most are sighted in at. If you want a good all round site set up, go 1.5" high at 25, puts you about 3" high at 50 and back on at 100, from memory. You cannot get a sight arrangement that will make up for the drop much past 100 yards.

If you want to shoot at 100 and beyond get a 444 or 45-70. Fifty yards and under is reasonable for the gun you have. If you can't get the rear sight high enough the next step is to slowly file some height off the front sight. Do this slowly and do lots of testing. Easy to remove, if you go too far you will need a new front sight and have to start over. Best of luck, let us know how you make out.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:12 PM

Thanks a lot for the insights. I figured I would be into filing the front post down a wee bit. Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t an easy solution from fresh eyes.

I’m really hoping to take a whitetail with this rifle this fall. I thought 100 yds would be about my max. So thanks dean I will try the 25/50/100 set up you suggested. I have a .45-70 also with the XS sights and really love the way it handles and shoots. So customizing it is. Just means more range time this summer which Always helps.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:58 AM

One other piece of advice, before you start filing the front, put your rear site half way in its adjustment range. This makes sure that when you get the front site adjusted you still have a reasonable amount of up and down for differences in loads, bullets etc. It also means if you file a little too much off you can still compensate with the rear site.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:29 AM

Curious if you managed to get your gun shooting the way you wanted it to?
Old 06-29-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Curious if you managed to get your gun shooting the way you wanted it to?
Thanks for the follow up Dean. Haven’t had a chance to get it back out yet. However hoping to get into it this weekend and do some shooting.