Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-07-2019, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
What rifles are you guys using?
Depending on the model, bolt action rifles either cock on opening, or cock on closing. They do not magically de-cock in open battery or by cycling the bolt handle an extra time while in closed battery.
You are carrying loaded and cocked rifles while bypassing the manufacturers safety equipment, these are 2 of the most unsafe carry practices I have ever read.

Myself? I carry with a round chambered.
Any bolt action rifle I’ve owned I have been able to hold the trigger while I close the bolt and have a round chambered without the rifle being cocked.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
If you look close you’ll notice all firearms are equipped with what is commonly referred to as a “safety” with the acception of some that require the hammer to be cocked back manually. When this feature is engaged it’s desigend to restrict the firearms ability to release the firing pin and in turn rendering the firearm “safe”, hence the use of the term “safety” used by firearm manufacturers. Of course as in life there are no guarantees, that’s why the men and women who use this feature for the most part, have the common sense to still treat the firearm as if it’s in the “ready” position and are aware of the muzzle position.

If you choose not to hunt with those of use who are aware of, and use the safety function which firearms manufacturers have specifically designed for this purpose, I’m sure I speak for many when I say, oh darn.
And only a fool would trust a safety. Remember Remington!
Old 08-07-2019, 12:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
And only a fool would trust a safety. Remember Remington!
Only a fool would buy a Remington
Old 08-07-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Any bolt action rifle I’ve owned I have been able to hold the trigger while I close the bolt and have a round chambered without the rifle being cocked.
As noted before doing so is one of the most dangerous things a person could do. I’d much rather trust the safety on the rifle than a firing pin resting against the primer where any jarring movement could set it off.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
As noted before doing so is one of the most dangerous things a person could do. I’d much rather trust the safety on the rifle than a firing pin resting against the primer where any jarring movement could set it off.
I was just explaining how to close your bolt and not have the rifle cocked. I personally use the safety.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:47 PM

Hunting is dangerous and there are many ways to get hurt or killed out hunting. Accidental shootings from a charged rifle on Safety while being held by the hunter, due to a fall or any other reason have to rank right up there with confirmed Sasquatch kills. To fall, end up with gun pointing at self or other and have safety fail plus gun discharge too is a pretty long set of odds.

Whichever method you choose, my suggestion is to do it exactly the same EVERY time. Mix and match will lead to more missed opportunities (carry un-chambered most of the time but on a stand with round chambered, not used to safety so try to shoot with safety on, usually carry gun chambered on safety, forget to rack a round cause you are walking un-chambered) and a higher chance of accidents by far.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
I personally drive around grazing leases in my black dodge dually with a pink pool noodle on the driver window and a round chambered with the barrel out the window. I only pop the saftey on when I lean the gun against a tree so I can pi$$ in front of a trail camera.

Excellent. We should hunt together sometime. As long as we don't advise the leaseholder of course.

Leaning a gun against a tree would suggest you're outside of the truck though. Huge no no. P**s jugs Ricky.

Are you leaving the trail cam behind or .....?
Old 08-07-2019, 04:05 PM

I thought you were not allowed to have a round in the chamber while in the truck.?
Old 08-07-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I thought you were not allowed to have a round in the chamber while in the truck.?
You are correct. Can't have a loaded mag in the gun while in the truck either.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-07-2019, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Unless you have the barrel pointed out the window in a safe direction

Disclaimer: the above post is 100% sarcasm and by no means reflects the actual law.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Only a fool would buy a Remington

Old 08-07-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:

You sure about that? Just can't have it IN the gun is the law I know but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
You sure about that? Just can't have it IN the gun is the law I know but maybe I'm wrong.
That's exactly what I said.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-07-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
That's exactly what I said.

Sorry. I picked a bad day to give up opiates.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:00 PM

The reason I get out is to steal the camera, tree stand and cut the lease holders locked gate open and you cant smoke weed in the truck as it smells to much you cant sneak up on 190 class wt....
Old 08-07-2019, 08:47 PM

So if having one in the chamber with the safety on is so dangerous how do we not hear about accidental discharges with LEO’s all the time? Every day there are thousands upon thousands of just Mounties let alone the other police forces walking around with loaded firearms but you very seldom here of one accidentally going off. How could that be? Must be one of the biggest cover-ups of all time...
Old 08-07-2019, 09:11 PM

I mostly still hunt and track, therefore I keep one in the chamber with the safety on, I'm usually protecting the trigger guard while being very carefull to keep my fingers out of it. When I am not still hunting or tracking I generally keep one in the chamber anyways, because at this point if I didn't I'd never remember to chamber one before making a shot, and in all the years I've carried a rifle around the bush I've never had an accidental discharge. If I am full out hiking, traveling on snowshoes, or paddling a canoe I don't keep one in the chamber.

I do realise that some people aren't comfortable with this, and I therefore cordially invite them to not hunt anywhere near me. Including the safety I am already employing three safeguards against accidently shooting anyone. If you cant trust me to do those three things effectively then you probably cant trust me to keep track of whether I've got a round chambered anyways. By extension of the "multi layered safeguard" logic, whatever distance you need to stay away from me to feel safe... maybe quadruple that just to really be on the safe side

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-07-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:42 PM

Smile I learned something today

Quote:
I had never considered using the standard "pull the trigger" de-cocking method with a live round in the chamber.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-08-2019, 05:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Un chambered all the way it dosent take much to chamber a round . Easy math
And fix bayonets too......I think this thread will go that route.....

Still hunting, spot and stalk, sitting in blind....chambered.

Going from one area to another not chambered.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-08-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
I had never considered using the standard "pull the trigger" de-cocking method with a live round in the chamber.
Thats because it's not a safe method. Doing this on a bolt action, the firing pin extends past the boltface and is now applying crushing pressure on the primer of the chambered round. Its not like a half position for a hammer, where the primer remains untouched.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
And fix bayonets too......I think this thread will go that route.....

Still hunting, spot and stalk, sitting in blind....chambered.

Going from one area to another not chambered.....
This is what I do as well - except for the bayonet part!
Cat
Old 08-08-2019, 08:19 AM

One chambered when still hunting and fresh sign with high chance for quick action, if hunting with partner never have one in chamber.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Neither had i until I met an old guy from eastern Canada who said he’s hunted that way all his life, said he just has to lift the bolt and close it to shoot. I just figure it’s eadier to flick the safety.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
You cannot have a gun with bullets in the chamber or mag touching any motorized vehicle. Laying on the hood of a truck or leaning it on an atv all illegal.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
I’ve used this method once
Cost me a boone and Crockett whitetail

Instinct kicked in when I seen him
Kicked out mine only shell in the gun
I had the biggest smile as I was squeezing that trigger 👍
Then click
No more smiling 👎
Lot of swearing too
Old 08-08-2019, 05:39 PM

I am reading this thread and clearly see what king of hunters are there.

I do bow hunt probably more then I do a rifle hunting and know for a fact that if your bow is making any kind of noise when you draw it , the animal is gone.
Done deal,, gone..

So, until you are not hunting a really far away animal, that can not hear you, chambering the round will scare away everything around guaranteed, without giving you a chance to take a shot.
Some people should really do read and understand what safety button is for..

S12
Old 08-08-2019, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I’ve used this method once
Cost me a boone and Crockett whitetail

Instinct kicked in when I seen him
Kicked out mine only shell in the gun
I had the biggest smile as I was squeezing that trigger 👍
Then click
No more smiling 👎
Lot of swearing too
Old 08-08-2019, 06:05 PM

Shell chambered with bolt not locked down gun knowing where barrel is pointed. Spooked game working bolt to chamber shell in past. Very uneasy about safety failing.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:27 PM

This is what an “uncocked” bolt face looks like. No thanks.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-08-2019, 07:00 PM

I am also vary suspicious of using the "chamber a round and hold the trigger down to de-cock the firing pin" method as, as mentioned and shown above, the pin is protruding and I can't help but to think what would happen if the firearm was dropped or bumped hard enough to cause the pin to slide back and compress the spring (to some extent) causing the subsequent return to cause the pin to strike the primer hard enough to discharge the weapon.

That, to me, is seriously sketchy. I haven't seen, nor was able to find a test done on this, but it just seems real freaky sketchy to me. I wouldn't do it and I wouldn't recommend it.

Tags
chambered, hunt, round, unchambered