Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-03-2013, 05:53 PM

Default new to hunting

I am 16 and i want to start hunting so what do i have to do before I can hunt big game with a bow. also no one in my family knows how to hunt. and also could I hunt rabbits and gophers with a bow without a licence.
and how old do i need to be to hunt alone with a bow.
thanks
Old 11-03-2013, 06:15 PM

Best bet would be to complete the Alberta hunter education course and take it from there. I am newly an Alberta resident as I moved from SK......... you can purchase a bow with no license and shoot gophers to your hearts content however I am not sure about rabbits in AB.

http://www.aheia.com/

this should get you started best of luck,
Old 11-03-2013, 07:09 PM

A bow, bow hunting permit, a tag and a LEGAL place to hunt is the basics you need. That being said it's a lot more difficult then just buying the stuff you need and going out there and killing a deer. There's a whole lot of learning to be done that's the fun part.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:06 PM

where do you live ?
Once you get your hunter ed join a game club in your area.. Listen and learn I bet somebody there would help you

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 11-03-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1423 View Post
I am 16 and i want to start hunting so what do i have to do before I can hunt big game with a bow. also no one in my family knows how to hunt. and also could I hunt rabbits and gophers with a bow without a licence.
thanks
Pretty well, if you dont wanna go it alone list where you are located
Old 11-03-2013, 11:23 PM

Thanks guys.
I went to my fish and wildlife office and now I know everything I need.
I am taking my hunters ed course and I got a buddy to take me hunting next or next next season.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1423 View Post
thanks

Welcome to the forums and hunting.

Pleased to hear you are taking the proper steps to becoming a good hunter.
I just wanted to add my 2 cents.
If you plan to shoot gophers with a bow that is great practice for learning to judge yardage. The worst part is that arrows can take a beating or get lost under the grass. Get flourescent arrows. A target is your best bet for consistant practice to start with.

And so you know, no question is to stupid to ask on the forums if you truly don't know so don't be intimidated by some forum members comments.

As for finding someone to hunt with .. The hunting partner thread here on AO hunting forum could be a good place to find someone nearby to get together with and get some pointers. Or the Hunting for Tomorrow Foundation also has a mentorship program for young people starting out. You should be able to find a few good people to learn from quite easily.

My best advice for a new hunter is:
When starting out...Avoid all the gadgets and gear you can buy for hunting. I think that is the biggest mistake young hunters do. Keep your gear simple and hunting becomes less complicated and way less expensive. You can have a 5 thousand dollar space age compound bow or a hundred dollar recurve bow. You can get all the hunting products there are but that doesn't make you a hunter.

A good hunter just needs to be able to shoot his weapon of choice confidently and consistantly. A good hunter also gets to know the hunting laws for their area. Then the best part comes... learning about, watching and hunting the animals.

By this time next year you could be sitting on stand waiting for your first deer.

Be sure to let us AO members know how its going.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 PM

Default Thanks. Helped a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Welcome to the forums and hunting.

Pleased to hear you are taking the proper steps to becoming a good hunter.
I just wanted to add my 2 cents.
If you plan to shoot gophers with a bow that is great practice for learning to judge yardage. The worst part is that arrows can take a beating or get lost under the grass. Get flourescent arrows. A target is your best bet for consistant practice to start with.

And so you know, no question is to stupid to ask on the forums if you truly don't know so don't be intimidated by some forum members comments.

As for finding someone to hunt with .. The hunting partner thread here on AO hunting forum could be a good place to find someone nearby to get together with and get some pointers. Or the Hunting for Tomorrow Foundation also has a mentorship program for young people starting out. You should be able to find a few good people to learn from quite easily.

My best advice for a new hunter is:
When starting out...Avoid all the gadgets and gear you can buy for hunting. I think that is the biggest mistake young hunters do. Keep your gear simple and hunting becomes less complicated and way less expensive. You can have a 5 thousand dollar space age compound bow or a hundred dollar recurve bow. You can get all the hunting products there are but that doesn't make you a hunter.

A good hunter just needs to be able to shoot his weapon of choice confidently and consistantly. A good hunter also gets to know the hunting laws for their area. Then the best part comes... learning about, watching and hunting the animals.

By this time next year you could be sitting on stand waiting for your first deer.

Be sure to let us AO members know how its going.

Tags
hunt, hunting bow, hunting gophers