Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2018, 01:06 AM

Default Hanging Wildgame

I wanted to ask ... has anyone hung there quarters to drain with dressing Game bags still on and pulling bottom of bag for drip off... what would your recomendation be... to leave them on or take them off... would it add more cooling temp....idk.. thought i would just ask.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:38 AM

Once there in cooler and aways from debris and insects I usually take bags off and allow nice dry skin to form.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:38 AM

Why is the Quarters wet at all? If you are hanging in the bush, after skinning, you will have trimmed any shot meat to stop spoilage, and within a day it will start to rind. You may have washed the Quarters to get dirt and leaves off, but again, it drips off pretty quick and within a day, it also starts to rind.

Putting cheese cloth on is to keep the flies off. It is so open that the quarters still dry out, and it pulls off easy enough.

Some people stick a knife into the hip joint to drain off fluid in warm weather, but that drains out pretty quick anyway.

More important is that you wash the Quarters with a Vinegar / water mix, and lots of Vinegar, which helps to clean any bacteria or mold off the quarters, and let that dry and then put on the cheese cloth. Flies hate vinegar, and alot of dried blood will now be off the Quarters, which is always a source of spoilage and attracts flies.

I am way more worried about flies on the meat than wet quarters. One idea is to get some bulk pepper and sprinkle it on the cheese cloth after washing and wrapping, and you then will keep alot more flies away from the meat.

Drewski
Old 10-05-2018, 09:37 AM

If you have handled the meat correctly, flies should not be a problem. They are drawn to and utilize spoiled meat only. They will land but not lay eggs unless there is putrification .

Tags
dressing bag, hunt, wildgame