Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-23-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
I saw some really great bulls in 212 on Saturday, But not telling where they are.
I know where they're at
Old 08-23-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Yes'er on the bears this year in our area.
We're way North
of you Albetrawild.

We spotted 2 younger Grizzlies on our way into camp the other day, a few Cat tracks further in.

They might of moved into our area since a larger boar left tracks on the upper ridges to the West of us.

Hopefully our eyes and ears are in tune for things that "could" happen pretty fast.

The small satellite heard of Cows are still hanging around. Fingers crossed if we get our timing right this year.
Don, I certainly don't want to know exact locations of your honey holes, but can you be a little more specific for the rest of us? IE: GP area / Grande Cache / Calgary / CNP?

I know that there are only 70 grizzlies in alberta (according to what some believe) and I'd sure like to avoid bumping into the groups of those 70... But then again.... If it's my time to join the natural food cycle....

Looks like Bear Spray will be my constant companion again for a few upcoming months

J.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
I know where they're at
Yup, I expect you do haha. If only the season opened last Saturday.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
Yup, I expect you do haha. If only the season opened last Saturday.
I suspect, a lot will change with patterns between now and opening day. Crops will be cut, total amount of sunlight will drop, and average temps will drop. Typically I see the groups of bulls move from their summer grounds to rutting grounds the last week of August to first week of September.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:17 AM

Bow hunters helping bow hunters.

We are a awesome bunch of good folks. Ha

2 of our friends were not able to go scouting and tracking this year due to family issues going on, so we're helping them out the best we can so they can enjoy a small part of Alberta's Outdoors.

Even after giving up the trout fishing this year, they didn't have the time to put the boots on the ground,,, kids going to university, older parents ailing,,, and both of them working long hours as well as keeping it all together.
20 years when they came to Canada.

We are thrilled and hounered to help them out,
Archey folk rock.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:25 AM

Our main hunting grounds are West of Rocky Mountain House, we are expanding it this year to North West of Grand Prairie.

We have lots of friends up that way to take us under thier wing.

We are lucky to have friends like this threw out Canada and the USA with some over seas.

We share openly between us since its the farm way of life.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Our main hunting grounds are West of Rocky Mountain House, we are expanding it this year to North West of Grand Prairie.

We have lots of friends up that way to take us under thier wing.

We are lucky to have friends like this threw out Canada and the USA with some over seas.

We share openly between us since its the farm way of life.
GP area is beautiful country for sure Don.
Me and 2 my "gang" members have been taking elk with a bow as close as 45 min drive from Calgary , but I prefer North West of Alberta much better for bow hunting.
S12
Old 08-23-2018, 09:15 AM

There are a ton on my family's land out NW of Cochrane ( South of Water Valley) this year.

Unlike new have ever before seen. Seems the population in that part of the province is quite healthy.

HOWEVER this area is all permission and there are a few neighbours that are on patrol day and night all hunting season (older guys playing sheriff).
Old 08-23-2018, 10:10 AM

Yes, it's tuff going in some areas in Alberta and other spots in our Americas.

We are crown land hunters, been Harvesting game this way for 20 ish + years now. It's so relaxing and easy to come and go.

We find the tracks and bunker down, of course it's nice to change things up a bit, but sticking to the small spot has paided off.

Ha.

Like old timer says, "BIG" game tracks don't fall out of the sky,,, if there are lots of them, bunker down and hope that they give them selves up for the harvest.

I left a prime spot last year to check out another valley, just happened that the fellow camping in that area took up the spot to harvest a nice bull that night. LOL.

Good on him since its called fair game and chase, him and his wife along with us were pretty happy that he filled his tag. We're still waiting for our BBQ Elk stake from them. Ha
Old 08-23-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
I suspect, a lot will change with patterns between now and opening day. Crops will be cut, total amount of sunlight will drop, and average temps will drop. Typically I see the groups of bulls move from their summer grounds to rutting grounds the last week of August to first week of September.
Pretty much. I had a bachkor group of bulls on cam everyday for 10 days, well 3am.
That crop they were coming out of had been cut that day. This helps me however, as my main locations are not on that pattern for this reason.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:50 PM

It's been to hot for the Bulls and some of the Cows.

They must be moving around at night with these temps.

It's getting hard to spot Deer now that we're grown corn.

The song might be true.

A place where corn don't grow, it's funny once the crop is harvested, the deer stand there as they think they are still hidden in the field. Ha
Old 08-23-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter12 View Post
GP area is beautiful country for sure Don.
Me and 2 my "gang" members have been taking elk with a bow as close as 45 min drive from Calgary , but I prefer North West of Alberta much better for bow hunting.
S12
I dont know about beautiful country, more like a jungle hit by a few tornados bordered by no hunting, no trespassing signs. That said there are elk mixed through it. An easy elk up here in the bush is pure luck. You need time on your side. Hit it hard, return again and again. Dont take no for an answer. Lots come up and few have a their chance.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 08-23-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
I dont know about beautiful country, more like a jungle hit by a few tornados bordered by no hunting, no trespassing signs. That said there are elk mixed through it. An easy elk up here in the bush is pure luck. You need time on your side. Hit it hard, return again and again. Dont take no for an answer. Lots come up and few have a their chance.
There are no easy elk in this province any longer, and you are right about that .
But as a hunter we can choose what kind of hunting we enjoy the most...
I've taken elk in Alberta in the mountains ,foothills and prairies and I believe all of them are great hunts , but all of us have a special 'weak" spot for a place we hunt and for me its NW of Alberta.

Ps

You can see some Northern Lights if you are lucky over there, as a bonus
S12
Old 08-23-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter12 View Post
There are no easy elk in this province any longer, and you are right about that .
But as a hunter we can choose what kind of hunting we enjoy the most...
I've taken elk in Alberta in the mountains ,foothills and prairies and I believe all of them are great hunts , but all of us have a special 'weak" spot for a place we hunt and for me its NW of Alberta.

Ps

You can see some Northern Lights if you are lucky over there, as a bonus
S12
Eastern slopes for me, now that is some beautiful country. If only I had a time machine....

Old 08-23-2018, 11:29 PM

Default Organized Bow Hunters!!

Organize Bow Hunters to hunt in packs to call elk and Chase all day and work together, i think it would be more of a succesfull hunt.. so those of you who are up north and south be awsome to work together for greater hunts just all depends on WMU'S... especialy with all this smoke around; new fire at waterton(evacuation). More groups together to hunt will prolly help to get access to lease's; instead of making another bow hunter wait in line...especialy if the lease holder says there is someone on there already hunting that day; but there is actually not a hunter hunting on there that day.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaWild View Post
Organize Bow Hunters to hunt in packs to call elk and Chase all day and work together, i think it would be more of a succesfull hunt.. so those of you who are up north and south be awsome to work together for greater hunts just all depends on WMU'S... especialy with all this smoke around; new fire at waterton(evacuation). More groups together to hunt will prolly help to get access to lease's; instead of making another bow hunter wait in line...especialy if the lease holder says there is someone on there already hunting that day; but there is actually not a hunter hunting on there that day.
I don’t know about that. Part of conservation is escapement. If every group was successful if would mean more resrictions... longer wait times. Effort mostly and sometimes luck helps but we cant go rolling around like an army. Get off the net and make your own luck, Enough said!

Old 08-24-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaWild View Post
Also a big group will NOT help access to “lease’s”. Land owners and lease holders are tired of the chit show. Bad approach.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:22 AM

I would say 4 or 5 bow hunters thats all not a dozen thats over kill... you get people to go together the less chance of a bear attack also & someone to watch your back... forget about the leas thung i said... that will always happen..you know how it is when the season opens.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:33 AM

Wow I took a year off posting or even looking at this forum and I see nothing has changed. Same jerks being jerks. Unwilling to help or answer without sarcasm or berating. Realize that new people come to the sport and this great province daily and want a bit of guidance or assistance. They don't want your secret spots or where you have the only permission. WTF is wrong with you guys? Have you never needed to ask for assistance or you always know everything about everywhere? I hope karma bites you hard and you get what your sarcastic, non compassionate, no helping arses deserve. May your sd cards be blank and your belly rumble with explosive diarrhea as you sit in your stand. The rest of us will help where and when we can and guide the new and next generation of hunters into the field and hope like hell we live longer than you so we can maybe just maybe bring back the old school culture of hunting that my father and uncles taught me and a bunch of noobs without a clue. See you next year maybe. And for the ones that are going to blast me for this. GFYS

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Tags
elk, hunt, scout