Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-27-2016, 04:00 PM

Default registered trapline boundry maps

Am looking at a couple of traplines for sale,so first off wanted to see how big they were etc..,went to the local fish and wildlife and was told these maps were not available to the public!, not impressed, told them I was not concerned who owned but rather size and boundries,but they would not budge. Can anyone help me out?. Even a pic and texted to my number?

Am interested in Edson west and south areas, thanks 780-723-0651
Old 02-27-2016, 04:42 PM

Ask the people that are selling them?

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 02-27-2016, 07:51 PM

Calgary Maptown has maps.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:17 PM

What RFMAs are you looking for? There is a government website that has the RFMA layer available to view. http://geodiscover.alberta.ca/Viewer/?Viewer=GDA. If you click on this link, then the 'search data catalogue' link it should open another option where you can enter in RFMA as the search. It will locate a RFMA file, click on that, then the blue window that opens on the map viewer click where it says 'Add'. It will produce a map that gives you the options of turning off and on a bunch of layers. Uncheck most of the layers except for the Registered Fur Management Area files, Check on the Alberta Township files and then zoom to where you want to look. If you are zoomed in enough then you should see the township areas.

I tried to save a project showing what I tried typing above and it is probably easiest to click on this link: http://geodiscover.alberta.ca/Viewer...3-4dc49f6aea51 and it should open up and get you close to what you are looking for. It does have the option of changing the basemap to a bit more of a satellite image view too. I do have access to the RFMA shapefile with data for that area but won't be in the office until mid week.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:41 AM

Send me a PM and e-mail. then I will forward a map of your area you are interested in a line.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:10 PM

Default trapline boundries

Thanks for all the help guys!,found what I need to know,now a question of doing the business!You would think after trapping 45 years a fella would be tired of it but once its in your blood your hooked for life.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:17 PM

Default Public Trapline Information

The local fish cops lied straight to my face about 20 years ago by saying that trapline maps are unavailable to the public and that the names of the individuals that the traplines are registered to is protected information. This is not true and has never been so. I lost all respect for the fish cops because of this. Both trapline maps and the names of individuals registered to traplines are and will continue to be public and unprotected information.

A map showing all the traplines in Alberta can be purchased from Map Town in Calgary, phone number 1-877-921-6277. The map is called Registered Fur Management Areas and will cost you about $35 including shipping.

Since the names of individuals that are registered to traplines are public information and not protected in any way, one just has to write to the person below. Just say that you are requesting that a computer print out of all individuals that are registered to all traplines in Alberta be mailed out to you.

Fish and Wildlife Division
Attention: Bev Fetter
2nd Floor, 9920-108 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
T5K 2M4
Old 03-05-2016, 10:55 AM

Maybe it is just that F&W is trying to keep the knowledge on the down low and out of the fur huggers hands.
Well to late for that now.
WDF