Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 06:36 PM

Default I think it's criminal.....

...... that a personal finance course is not mandatory in grade 12 to graduate. Prove me wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-22-2020, 06:38 PM

Yep have to agree.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:39 PM

But at least they’re taught how to line dance!
And that the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell!
Old 09-22-2020, 06:40 PM

Default Math

Stuff basic financial should be taught in junior high.

The math taught now is ridiculous.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:40 PM

I have to agree, it's a basic life skill, also a "think for yourself" course would compliment it!
Old 09-22-2020, 06:42 PM
Banned

But what will we do come parallelogram season?
Old 09-22-2020, 06:48 PM

I saw a meme that had me cracking up. It went something like:

"I'm so glad I was taught how to play recorder in school. It has come in really handy in adult life. Lost count of how many times I've resolved a difficult situation with a quick blast of Three Blind Mice."
Old 09-22-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
...... that a personal finance course is not mandatory in grade 12 to graduate. Prove me wrong.
Uh, best to check graduation requirements which include this course, CALM 20 (Career and Life Management). Read before you rant.

https://education.alberta.ca/media/160199/calm.pdf

Would do well to read the whole thing, but pay particular attention to pages 9-11.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Uh, best to check graduation requirements which include this course, CALM 20 (Career and Life Management). Read before you rant.

Not at all what I am talking about, I mean finance period. Taxes, investing strategies, buying a house using credit etc. Not.....

CALM is a vital component of comprehensive
school health education. It emphasizes
knowledge, attitudes, behaviours, competencies
and values, and provides students with
opportunities to enhance their capacities in
problem solving, critical thinking and reflection.
Students require an understanding of self as the
basis for making healthy choices, having healthy
interactions with others and using resources
wisely, as well as for lifelong career development.
They also require information, planning tools and
processes to make decisions and develop action
plans for effective life management. This
health-promoting course provides opportunities
for students to gain knowledge and insight, and to
acquire essential life skills; it is relevant to the
needs of students, now and in the future, and
stimulates creativity, encouraging them to learn
and providing them with important learning skills.
The CALM course approaches health issues in a
coherent and holistic way. It is designed to
improve students’ theoretical understanding of
health issues and their ability to apply knowledge
and skills to personal situations. In CALM,
student participation is emphasized.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-22-2020, 07:11 PM

Wont prove you wrong! But Right! They come out of high-school knowing nothing about finance, or how it works!
Quote:
Old 09-22-2020, 07:14 PM

Exclamation Stirring the pot with a great big paint brush

Simple answer: because they can't. Many of the new administrators and educators are unable to manage their own finances after learning that 2 + 2 = 4 is racist. So they teach 2 + 2 + 5 and the government owes you a universal living wage for being you. It's way easier.
Common Core gave way to Woke Culture, math is no longer required. In fact, understanding how badly you are getting robbed is heavily frowned upon. Just keep sending your donations to PETA and Greenpeace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg math.jpg (40.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg math 1.jpg (17.4 KB, 78 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-22-2020, 07:15 PM

If it wasn't for my parents teaching me how it works! I would not know what it's all about! Nothing in school!
Old 09-22-2020, 07:16 PM

Shouldn’t us parents do that on our own? Not everything needs to be learned in school.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:20 PM

You have to use your brain cells to think it through! which " brain cells" are hard to come by! Today!
Old 09-22-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Shouldn’t us parents do that on our own? Not everything needs to be learned in school.
How is that working out for society? Most parents can't run their own finances at their age. Anyway I did not mean for this to turn into a teacher bashing thread. What is taught can be parent driven, if enough parents request a pure finance course I'm sure it would happen or teachers would have a good reason not to. Maybe run an evening course for parents.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-22-2020, 07:23 PM

Some parents don’t know anything about finances either...it should be taught in school but if it was then more people would be financially responsible instead of drowning in debt...it’s what the system wants and needs to function...the bankers and politicians don’t want educated people.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:25 PM

Why would we expect people to he able to manage money, when they vote for a PM that claims that the budget will balance itself?
Old 09-22-2020, 07:29 PM

Got that right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP View Post
Some parents don’t know anything about finances either...it should be taught in school but if it was then more people would be financially responsible instead of drowning in debt...it’s what the system wants and needs to function...the bankers and politicians don’t want educated people.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
How is that working out for society? Most parents can't run their own finances at their age. Anyway I did not mean for this to turn into a teacher bashing thread. What is taught can be parent driven, if enough parents request a pure finance course I'm sure it would happen or teachers would have a good reason not to. Maybe run an evening course for parents.
Remember majority of people are liberal/ndp elsewhere. They will quickly be learning more on how to spend our money and how to debt finance to keep up with the Jones’s.

One could argue with the high divorce rates we should learn more on relationships. Could also learn more about cooking. Could learn more about parenting. Where does it end? Parents need to step up and raise their children and teach them the fundamentals of life.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:34 PM

Learning about the Aztec's and how they lived, in social studies. WOW That really helped me in life! Some of the dumb sh-t we were taught in school back when???????? You have to wander!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2020, 07:40 PM

Learnt more out of school than in school! Real life matters!
Old 09-22-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Remember majority of people are liberal/ndp elsewhere. They will quickly be learning more on how to spend our money and how to debt finance to keep up with the Jones’s.

One could argue with the high divorce rates we should learn more on relationships. Could also learn more about cooking. Could learn more about parenting. Where does it end? Parents need to step up and raise their children and teach them the fundamentals of life.
You cannot teach what you don't know.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-22-2020, 07:50 PM

Many will find lessons where others do not, intentionally or otherwise
Old 09-22-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

Would do well to read the whole thing, but pay particular attention to pages 9-11.
Sorry I missed the bolded part of your post, yes this is the type of stuff I am alluding to, I only got through the first 5 pages and thought this is not at all what I was talking about. I don't remember either of my kids talking about this course. Was it available 15 yrs ago?

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-22-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
You cannot teach what you don't know.
Yes but these days there are tons of resources available. If parents truly care they could find the resources.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Sorry I missed the bolded part of your post, yes this is the type of stuff I am alluding to, I only got through the first 5 pages and thought this is not at all what I was talking about. I don't remember either of my kids talking about this course. Was it available 15 yrs ago?
Yes I took it 18 years ago. Just very basic but a good introduction.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, it was mandatory to graduate 15 years ago.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:06 PM

I remember taking it in school, grade 10 or 11 iirc. But that was nearly 40 years ago, things have changed for the worse.

I remember everyone being terrified of the leather strap that was kept in the PrinciPAL's (haha, remembered that Don Topolnysky) although I can't recall anyone ever having it used on them.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-22-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I remember taking it in school, grade 10 or 11 iirc. But that was nearly 40 years ago, things have changed for the worse.

I remember everyone being terrified of the leather strap that was kept in the PrinciPAL's (haha, remembered that Don Topolnysky) although I can't recall anyone ever having it used on them.
Definitely a few people had it used on them in my small school. Forgot about that!
Old 09-22-2020, 08:16 PM

I think this one is a tough one to answer for a couple of reasons. One, everyone sees the best way to manage their finances in a different way. It really is a matter of personal opinion and it comes down to individual choice.
Two...the one that once taught our children is now running our country. His financial knowledge...in my opinion is on par with that of my dog.
Closed Thread