Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 09:10 AM

Default A nice day of fishing turned into a day at the doggy ER

So I left Calgary early on Saturday morning with my gf and our 5-month old pup, Jasper. The plan was to fish the Livingstone for the day. I have mainly been fishing more remote rivers this summer due to the influx of people, but since i am training my new fishing buddy, i decided we would go somewhere that i am more familiar with.

We got to the river and picked a spot a few KMs upstream of the gap. It looked promising. Nice day, no other fisherman to be seen on our stretch. We walked upstream for a KM or so to a nice pool. On the way up i was very disappointed at the amount of discarded toilet paper on the banks. We saw 7-8 places where people had gone #2 on that short walk. Anyways, I had just sat down to tie on our flies when i heard Jasper YELP.

When i ran over to him to see what was the matter, I found a size 6 (or bigger) streamer hooked into his mouth, with another nymph and line hanging from the streamer. After trying to get it out of his mouth and looking at the nymph, we realized that the flies were not de-barbed.

So, my day ended before it even really started. We had to drive to the ER vet in Okotoks to get it removed. They needed to sedate the poor guy to get it done. Needless to say I'm very angry and disappointed in the conditions left by folks this summer.

Anyways, just a warning to people to watch their dogs on the river, especially with the additional disrespect to nature that has come with the extra people this summer.

http://imgur.com/gallery/kjV6SFO

*End Rant*
Old 09-21-2020, 09:12 AM

My pup did this once with a brand new panther martin that was in the package that got caught in her toe. Expensive lesson to learn!
Old 09-21-2020, 01:24 PM

Default A nice day of fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerTay View Post
So I left Calgary early on Saturday morning with my gf and our 5-month old pup, Jasper. The plan was to fish the Livingstone for the day. I have mainly been fishing more remote rivers this summer due to the influx of people, but since i am training my new fishing buddy, i decided we would go somewhere that i am more familiar with.

We got to the river and picked a spot a few KMs upstream of the gap. It looked promising. Nice day, no other fisherman to be seen on our stretch. We walked upstream for a KM or so to a nice pool. On the way up i was very disappointed at the amount of discarded toilet paper on the banks. We saw 7-8 places where people had gone #2 on that short walk. Anyways, I had just sat down to tie on our flies when i heard Jasper YELP.

When i ran over to him to see what was the matter, I found a size 6 (or bigger) streamer hooked into his mouth, with another nymph and line hanging from the streamer. After trying to get it out of his mouth and looking at the nymph, we realized that the flies were not de-barbed.

So, my day ended before it even really started. We had to drive to the ER vet in Okotoks to get it removed. They needed to sedate the poor guy to get it done. Needless to say I'm very angry and disappointed in the conditions left by folks this summer.

Anyways, just a warning to people to watch their dogs on the river, especially with the additional disrespect to nature that has come with the extra people this summer.

http://imgur.com/gallery/kjV6SFO

*End Rant*
Yep, never ceases to amaze me how people can’t care less about leaving places the way they found them. Disgusting to see the garbage laying around. Sorry your pup had to go through that.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:34 PM

Thank sucks alright. Bad enough with the TP and human droppings around. Discarded tackler on top of it.

Regarding TP. It is very noticeable in Jasper this year. I'm sure it has always been around but now it is common. Toilets are everywhere in Jasper but I'm thinking a lot of "outdoors people" would rather not risk it.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:25 PM

Had to take a copper john out of an 8 years old lip at Lillian lake this summer.

Poor kid went fishing with his dads gear, CJ wasnt de-barbed. The parents had no idea what to do to get it out in the backcountry.

Tough to convince a kid to let you push it all the way through so that you can de-barb it.

There were tears, but not as much as expected. He had a good story for his buddies back home Im sure.

Doubt he will ever fish again...
Old 09-22-2020, 04:17 PM

When I was a kid, about 8 or 9 years old I caught a triple Barb hook on the inside of my thigh. I was down at the creek and I caught what I thought was a really nice fish, was so excited I want to show Mom and Dad. I hopped on the bike and started peddling back to camp. I was smart enough to take down my rod so I could put it over the handlebars, what I didn't take into account was the hook danging from the line in between my legs as I pedaled. Long story short lots of tears and a good scar on the inside of the leg. Had to push that through too and debar both of them.

The worst part was that it happened at the beginning of the ride and I had to force myself to ride all the way back to camp with a hook in my leg. Forgot all about the fish real quick!

Kind of reminds me of the time I got my right ear pierced. First year fly fishing in the middle of a foreward cast, gust of wind picked up and blew the line right along my head. Snap! Rate in the right ear that hurt like the dickens.