Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-21-2006, 09:55 PM
nube

Default muskrat set

Hey guys, I am looking for advice on a muskrat set and wanted to know the best way. I use to trap them in their huts but I believe it is illegal now and I haven't trapped much since then. I thought it would be fun to start up again since I got my traps and licence still. I usually trap coyotes and thought I would give the rats a try.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Scopechief

If you are going after them on open water, I like using those submersible cage traps. You just find where there den is and place the trap in the entrance. My record with that trap is 9 rats for one trap.
I also like just taking a peice of board and nailing some leg hold traps to it. When the rats go on top of the board and step onto a trap their reaction is to jump into the water, and they drown.
But submersibles are the best I think.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Cabot

Hey nube,

As mentioned by Scopechief, submersible cage traps are awesome, especially in the winter. You can use them under the ice as well. Look for bubbles on top of the ice around their house, chip the ice and place the cage in the pathway. The cage has to be at least 1 inch under water. Cover the hole with thick spruce branches and cover with snow, or if there is enough water on top of the cage, place snow directly in the hole and make a mound of it.

In the spring, I like to make pocket sets for them with 1 1/2 coil spring leg hold traps. I use a carrot above the pocket with anis oil on it...deadly. Make sure that your pocket set is made in an area where water will be deep enough for the muskrat to drown once it throws itself in the water. I added a cable to my traps chain and I made some 3 foot stakes with 1/4 inch round bar and welded a "T" at the top wider than the loop on my cable. I then put the cable loop in deeper water and pass the stake in it and I step on it until it digs itself to the loop. What I like about that is that it's well hidden and your set is not so visible. If you're walking to your sets, well it kindda sucks to have all those stakes to carry as well as your traps, but if you're in a canoe, it's cats ass.

I've had limited success with those floating rigs, I made 20 last year and they sucked. They work best when water levels go up because of rain for example. Also, you have to cover the top of your set with a wire grill to prevent ducks to get on them. Also, they're heavy and cumbersome if you're walking. Hell, I'll give them away if anyone wants them.

Have fun with that.

Cabot.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:03 PM
nube

Thanks for the info I will check it out some more and give it a go.
Nube