Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2016, 02:31 PM

Default Building a backyard sauna in edmonton

Anyone have experience building a backyard yard sauna here in edmonton??? Or know if its even legal... i googled the bylaws but didnt find anything Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2016, 03:23 PM

My dad built one in Okotoks a few years back. Think he had to get an electrician to install the heater to make sure it was up to code but other than that he just went for it.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:35 PM

They will probably classify it as an accessory building and you will most likely need to follow those guidelines ( I'm guessing similar guidelines to a shed)
Old 09-08-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
Anyone have experience building a backyard yard sauna here in edmonton??? Or know if its even legal... i googled the bylaws but didnt find anything Thanks

That is my dream project! Unfortunately I'm not a very handy person and need to hire someone to do it for me. One thing for sure is that I would want to get a wood burning heater, not the electric one. The main reason is that I like higher temp than 80 and I like steam! I always pour water on the rocks to get a good steam! And just like you said, I couldn't find any regulations regarding this project....
Old 09-08-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Huntnfish View Post
My dad built one in Okotoks a few years back. Think he had to get an electrician to install the heater to make sure it was up to code but other than that he just went for it.
Don't know about Okotoks but in Edmonton the city will order to demolish it if it is not up to their likening....
Old 09-08-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
That is my dream project! Unfortunately I'm not a very handy person and need to hire someone to do it for me. One thing for sure is that I would want to get a wood burning heater, not the electric one. The main reason is that I like higher temp than 80 and I like steam! I always pour water on the rocks to get a good steam! And just like you said, I couldn't find any regulations regarding this project....
Apparently if you live in city limits your unable to use a wood burning stove for the sauna. I'm in the same boat it's gotta be hot. I talked to a guy at the sauna place in edmonton and he told me the electrics are very warm and you can throw water on the rocks unlike the ones you find at public gyms which in my opinion are more like an enclosed room with the furnace turn up a bit.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Apparently if you live in city limits your unable to use a wood burning stove for the sauna. I'm in the same boat it's gotta be hot. I talked to a guy at the sauna place in edmonton and he told me the electrics are very warm and you can throw water on the rocks unlike the ones you find at public gyms which in my opinion are more like an enclosed room with the furnace turn up a bit.

Yep ours was electric and you could throw water on the rocks.....but by God do not throw anything besides water.....thought a little scotch would give a nice aromatic smell.....it was like mustard gas
Old 09-08-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Yep ours was electric and you could throw water on the rocks.....but by God do not throw anything besides water.....thought a little scotch would give a nice aromatic smell.....it was like mustard gas
Vodka works well on a wood burning one. If heard of electric ones catching on fire by doing that

Old 09-08-2016, 04:05 PM

Then make sure you get one size bigger for your heater than recommended by the factory specs for the size that you are building. It will warm up faster and will maintain the temp better. And if you throu the water on a rocks - it will heat them up faster too. Please let me know how you succeeding.... I've got Russian "veniks" for sauna in my garage, ready to go( but nowhere to go yet).. I used to take those to the Russian sauna in Calgary. But the place got too busy and it is hard to get in on a short notice.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
You poured the wrong stuff buddy! Beer, good old beer works the best! Smells like a rye bread, soo good!
Old 09-08-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Vodka works well on a wood burning one. If heard of electric ones catching on fire by doing that

Vodka works even better after! Take an ice cold shot, chase it down with a nice home made pickle and thank me for advise later, LOL!!!!
Old 09-08-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Vodka works even better after! Take an ice cold shot, chase it down with a nice home made pickle and thank me for advise later, LOL!!!!
I see you've played to this game before lol

Old 09-08-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I see you've played to this game before lol

I used to be a champion when I was young!! LOL!!! Now the recovery takes longer, don't have the stamina like before
It's just tea with lemon now....well, may be a couple of beers too.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Apparently if you live in city limits your unable to use a wood burning stove for the sauna.
Where did your info come from? I am trying to find out info myself, and coming up dry. Anyone else find/know anything?
Old 10-16-2016, 01:39 PM

No fires in the backyard either then?
Old 10-16-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
A good stiff rum and coke with a squeeze of lime smells much better!
Old 10-16-2016, 02:52 PM

So...has anybody succeeded building one yet?
Old 10-16-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
So...has anybody succeeded building one yet?
Well I hope to have one soon. I really don't want to go electrical. If you keep it under the 103 sq ft, (or whatever that magical number the city uses) I can't see the city having a problem with a cedar "shed". If I can't use a wood stove in it; maybe I can cycle water through loops of copper around a "bbq" or "firepit" outside the "shed". Or possibly just shovel coals into a rock box in the "shed". There will be a way around any hurdle if you are creative enough.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:02 AM

Tried to get a hold of people at the city and ended up being told I have to call the planning dept. I call them and it goes to a voicemail that says they will reply within 2 business days. I love city hall!
Old 10-17-2016, 02:35 PM

Well good luck man, I will be watching your progress so please post an updates. And don't forget to invite me over for a good steam party!
Old 10-17-2016, 10:31 PM

Default suana

Just got outta mine. Will post pictures tomorrow
Old 10-19-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalhunter View Post
No fires in the backyard either then?
There's a minimum distance from an building your fire pit is supposed to be. I'm sure having a fire inside a building violates that.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Where did your info come from? I am trying to find out info myself, and coming up dry. Anyone else find/know anything?
Sorry for taking so long to get back. The guy at the sauna shop told me this. I searched the bylaws but couldn't find anything. Maybe he was trying to up sell me on an electric stove I have no clue. Will be interesting to see what the city says. Makes sense to me about no fire stoves though.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Makes sense to me about no fire stoves though.
Doesn't make sense to me. Places like, The Wood and Energy Store, pay many peoples wages putting wood stoves into buildings. Time will tell. Just waiting for the city to call me back still.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:39 PM

Default my sauna

Here are a few pictures of my sauna. Modeled it after being in Finland 30 years ago and everyone there uses them. Built it about 7 years ago with square fir logs,pine interior and cedar benches. Big heavy wood stove. 8x8 and a 4x8 front porch
Built a smaller one with my buddy in the city out of a shed package. He has had no issues yet !!
No comparison between an electric and a wood fired. Been in many and wood is by far better. Just went from the hot tub to the sauna earlier. Best sleep ever ...
Salty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sauna 1.jpg (88.7 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg sauna 2.jpg (97.5 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg sauna 3.jpg (79.2 KB, 381 views)
Old 10-20-2016, 10:01 AM

That is fantastic saltwater!
Old 10-20-2016, 12:37 PM

When are we going to try it out? I bring beer and birch "venik"(kind of a broom for massage inside the sauna during the steam and aroma) if you have never tried it before- you are up for a TREAT of your life!
Old 10-20-2016, 12:47 PM

I am now on my 4th day waiting for the city and have left another voicemail. So another 2 business days I'm hoping. Why does City Hall exist again?
Old 10-20-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
When are we going to try it out? I bring beer and birch "venik"(kind of a broom for massage inside the sauna during the steam and aroma) if you have never tried it before- you are up for a TREAT of your life!
Beer is good in a sauna. I have never understood the idea of being tickled with a leafy branch though.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Beer is good in a sauna. I have never understood the idea of being tickled with a leafy branch though.
You haven't lived until you've had another hot sweaty man hit you with some leafy wood...