Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-11-2013, 08:25 PM

Another suggestion just to confuse you a little more... Buy one really good reel,, and 2 lower end rods in different weights. Most good reels come with 2 spools,, just load them with different pound test and switch them when you switch rods. Best reel I've owned is a shimano Stradic 2500,, it's caught literally thousands of fish from 6inch perch to 50 inch musky,,, and more 2-10lb walleyes than most people will catch in a lifetime.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:45 PM

I've learned so much from this thread. Thank you all for the advice! I'm looking forward to going this week to check out some set ups
Old 08-12-2013, 09:33 PM

I went to wholesale sports today and it was a degrading experience so I won't be buying from there but I did get a chance to check out some St Croix and G loomis rods. Wow...just wow. Such a difference between those and mine. The loomis trout series rod was crazy thin. I'd be scared I'd break it. Sure was beautiful though!
Old 08-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneGirlWolfPack View Post
I went to wholesale sports today and it was a degrading experience so I won't be buying from there but I did get a chance to check out some St Croix and G loomis rods. Wow...just wow. Such a difference between those and mine. The loomis trout series rod was crazy thin. I'd be scared I'd break it. Sure was beautiful though!
degrading, why? were they smug but liked the smell of your money?
Old 08-12-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
OGWP
Did you have problems with staff or something?

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:37 PM

I'm not looking to cause problems. It's kind of a long story but I was originally looking at a $300 loomis rod and I made a joke about not deserving one that nice. Then I was looking at the st croix rod and asked the guy what reel he would pair with it and he made a joke (?) about me not deserving that one either because I didn't know which reel to put with it. I laughed it off saying I can say that but he can't and he said "Hey you said it, not me. I'm just agreeing with you." It bothered me because he had a very serious look on his face when he said it. I felt stupid and inexperienced. When I asked about the pflueger reels he said they don't have any because his manager doesn't do her job and said I could order one but it would take 2-4 weeks to get. At that point I was just done.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Banned

Too many store employees forget about the 'CUSTOMER SERVICE' in customer service.
Thats too bad OGWP don't let one moron ruin you getting a new rod and reel. And nice choices BTW.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not looking to cause problems. It's kind of a long story but I was originally looking at a $300 loomis rod and I made a joke about not deserving one that nice. Then I was looking at the st croix rod and asked the guy what reel he would pair with it and he made a joke (?) about me not deserving that one either because I didn't know which reel to put with it. I laughed it off saying I can say that but he can't and he said "Hey you said it, not me. I'm just agreeing with you." It bothered me because he had a very serious look on his face when he said it. I felt stupid and inexperienced. When I asked about the pflueger reels he said they don't have any because his manager doesn't do her job and said I could order one but it would take 2-4 weeks to get. At that point I was just done.
Yuck, I would have fired him on the spot for such a comment. How do people new to fishing ask a dude like that questions?

Sad
Old 08-12-2013, 11:05 PM

Most staff in fishing is inexperienced(not an excuse) nor is their treatment of you excusable. Offer still stands to help if needed.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:31 PM

UGLY STICK. Never read replies but a gazillion fish can't be wrong, nor can I, hah,jk.
Comes in all sizes

U will NOT find better value for your buck. ANYWHERE!
Old 08-12-2013, 11:47 PM

I've only been fishn 5 or so years. I own 2 doz rods. 4 of which are ugly stix. 2 light, 1 med, 1 heavy. Still need my ultra.
Anyway, all these rods have been through heck n back over n over again. They are the energizer bunny of fishn unless u wanna spend a fortune on overpriced large rods that are way too much for AB fish. Look nice, totally unnecessary.

Reels, just play the fish accordingly. I like shimano when it comes to reels. Again, not pricey and great product. Bait casters suck IMO, only good for chucking distance.
I would put my xrap up against any bait casting reel anytime. Oops that's not an Ug stick, o well.

Comes down to preference.

My 2 sense anyway.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:58 PM

I never tried a G Loomis yet, but from the rods I tried here's what I would recommend. If you want to feel the slightest nibble, these will do that...after getting a feel for them I can even tell when I've been stripped of bait.

1st choice would be a St Croix...7 ft...on the handle it will say what the rod is designed for...personally I like the rigs and jigs. You can find these around the 90 dollar range on sale

2nd choice would be a 7 ft Fenwick Walleye series. If I recall these were under the 90 dollar range

Paired up with an Abu reel.

Good luck in your decision and for what its worth...You're probably better off NOT taking advice from anyone at WWS
Old 08-13-2013, 12:16 AM

Lol! The timing of fishfinder's post gave me the laugh I needed. Thanks!

Sadly I'm used to feeling dumb when it comes to fishing. Just goes with the territory of being inexperienced I guess. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say much but someone from the fishing hole took the time tonight to ask what I was looking for and helped me choose what will be best for me. I'm so excited! I'm getting a G Loomis GL2 and a Shimano Symetre 2500 reel. Thank you to all of you for your help! And especially for not making me feel stupid.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:31 AM

Talking

Quote:
Well the time has come to get a new rod (and reel). Mine is still usable but really old and worn down. I'm not looking for anything too fancy....probably in the $250-$300 price range. I fish quite often but I still have trouble feeling lighter bites with a stiff rod so I need something that's got some sensitivity to it. Man I can already see the jokes that are going to come from this. Any recommendations?

Also if anyone is willing to share any good places to shore fish near Banff I'd really appreciate it. I'm going there for a few days for my birthday and would really like to do some fishing in the area.
ya dont need to spend that kinda money on a rod,,quatum rod and reel 60 bucks at CT ,go with 6 pound test line
Old 08-13-2013, 12:39 AM
Banned

Your not stupid OGWP.
Fishing is more about luck than anything. Sure you can have the most expensive rod and reel ever made but when it comes down to it, if the fish are not there, and if they are not on the bite, you get skunked.
That's why this sport is called fishing and not catching.
It's true about whats been said on this forum and that's most fishing equipment catches fishermen more than it will ever catch fish.
Glad you found what you were looking for. I hope it brings you many years of fishing enjoyment.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:18 AM

I also like the shimano reels , served me well for many years . Godd luck on your trip
Old 08-13-2013, 07:51 AM

That GLoomis and Shimano setup will serve you well.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Lol! The timing of fishfinder's post gave me the laugh I needed. Thanks!

Sadly I'm used to feeling dumb when it comes to fishing. Just goes with the territory of being inexperienced I guess. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say much but someone from the fishing hole took the time tonight to ask what I was looking for and helped me choose what will be best for me. I'm so excited! I'm getting a G Loomis GL2 and a Shimano Symetre 2500 reel. Thank you to all of you for your help! And especially for not making me feel stupid.
Nice!!!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:08 AM

Are you forgetting power of the "three wolf moon"?

It doesn't matter what rod and reel you have....wear that shirt and you will catch fish.

LC
Old 08-13-2013, 08:13 AM

Default Don't waste your money

Find the cheapest rod,that you like the feel of ....they are all made
In the same hut ...... Some back bone with a soft tip....
1/4 to 5/8 oz. 6 to 10 lb. test ....Rapala make a great product for the money.

New Shimano Sienna ....great value ...wear them out ....start again

Like I say ....all Beijing specials ......buy more bait...

I sold fishing tackle ,and Golf equipment for 25 yrs to retailers
Two of the greatest scams ever perpetrated on the buying public .

I have 200 plus dollar rods ,they don't fish any better ,than the 2 PC
Rapala. RT for 49 bucks I got last year....

You know what we say. " if you can't play a sport be one "

Last edited by Winch101; 08-13-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I can vouch for Bobby B's recommendation. I spent a weekend with him in the boat at Slave Lake in late June. He was catching walleye one after another while I couldn't feel a nibble if the walleye were nibbling on my finger. He allowed me to use his rod for a short bit. What an incredible difference. Shocking actually.

If you want to catch fussy walleye, take his advice. Don't worry about the reel, as it doesn't really enter into the equation compared to a sensitive walleye rod.

Take your money and go confidently into The Fishin Hole and ask for the rod Bobby B has suggested. If the clerk offers something else simply tell him you know what you want.

You won't regret it.
Hallelujah !!!!!!

Buying a sensitive, quality rod WILL, IN FACT, help you catch more fish. My St.Croix rods are far more sensitive than many other rods out there. Certainly for finicky species like light nibbling walleye ......... they make a big difference. I can feel a fly walking on my rod with my St.Croix.

If you are chucking lures for Pike .......... well ........ then .......... the advantage are less pronounced. A reel with smooth drag is probably more the focus on your pike set up.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
That GLoomis and Shimano setup will serve you well.
X2 you're gonna like that one

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-13-2013, 10:18 AM

Good to here you got your rod and reel!

Old 08-13-2013, 02:01 PM

Ive been fishing for close to 29 of my 33 year exsistance. Im by no means an expert, but I enjoy fishing as often as I can. I would say for 300 dollars you could buy 10 fishing rods and reels.

As someone pointed out earlier, I second the ugly stick, and shimano reels. If you want to go pricey As i treated myself to an ugly stick that i used for id say 15 years. currently i think they are 49.99 one piece rod. with reel. at basspro.

You could buy a light rod and heavy rod at canadian tire for 30-60 dollars easily if you wanted and spend the rest of the money on the expensive lures.

I have landed quite a few big fish, landlocked salmon, a 33inch pickerel, a few striped bass close to 30lbs, (all back on the east coast). I watched a few friends land even bigger fish, all on canadian tire gear. back home we didnt have wholesale sports or basspro. we had walmart and canadian tire.

Ive only been in alberta for 2 years, but from what Ive found, to be sucessful in all the places ive fished, its presentation that counts. I would spend the cash on lures. Chances are you will land any fish you hook regardless of reel and rod, if you just get out and practice and fish fish fish

Im currently using a rod reel combo i picked up from the fishinhole was around 50 bucks. I think you already found your rod, but I will post my comment incase other people are searching for the same question.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 PM

Good choice with what you picked for a rod and reel! I would've suggested the Shimano Stradic 2500FJ but you'll be happy with the Symetre. One word of advice: try a few out in the store before you buy one. I was buying a few 1000s last year for ice fishing and there were a few that would stick, maybe not oiled from factory. Work the bail, check the reverse, etc. Also, when you get it home, there's a little bottle of lube that comes with it. unscrew the oil cap on the left side of the reel(part#8776), right below the crank. Put 3 drops of oil in there and work the crank for as long as you can or until you get bored of this. As you're doing this, change the position of the reel-straight up and down, sideways, upside down, forward and reverse, etc. then pop the screw out and put a couple more drops in and repeat this. You'll be surprised at how smooth that reel will be when you're done lubing it in this fashion. I do this to all my reels at least once a year. Congrats! Enjoy!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:48 PM

That is awesome advice walleyemagnet! I'm going to take a snapshot of that so I'll remember to do it.

I actually went with the G Loomis GL3 rod. My friend from the fishing hole suggested it because I river fish a lot and the other one might be a little too light. It's all being shipped to me now. I can't wait to try it out! Terry is absolutely awesome! He went over every detail with me to pick out what would work best for me, gave me lots of choices and answered my numerous dumb questions. Lol! I got a really good deal and he even threw in a birthday present for me. It couldn't have come at a better time. Really needed that smile. Thank you Terry!!!!

Buckhorn, I couldn't agree more! I was given a cheap rod from Canadian tire in the past and that thing has taken a beating and is still going strong. I've always used it for heavier weights and lures and it works really great. I also agree that this thread is great for anyone looking for a new rod or reel. There's so much good information

Didn't quite finish writing that when my dog attacked a skunk. The fun never stops at my house. If anyone needs me I'll be dry heaving while washing the dog again.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:36 PM

I have both loomis and st.croix rods , there awesome !! But I also have a few shimano crucial rods , for around that 120$ range each you could buy 2 rods one for jigging eyes and the other for casting lures , plus you would be under your 300$ budget and get 2 awesome rods !! Instead of one st.croix or loomis ... Just a thought ! Pm me if me if u have questions , about rods or reels .
Old 08-14-2013, 03:40 PM

Well never mind I see u bought a sweeeeet rod , nice choice
Old 08-14-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Terry is absolutely awesome! He went over every detail with me to pick out what would work best for me, gave me lots of choices and answered my numerous dumb questions. Lol! I got a really good deal and he even threw in a birthday present for me. It couldn't have come at a better time. Really needed that smile. Thank you Terry!!!!
Terry is the best.

You simply won't find anyone more knowledgeable and more willing to help anywhere else.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Terry is the best.

You simply won't find anyone more knowledgeable and more willing to help anywhere else.
I didnt know you had another account Terry! nah hes an awesome guy for sure.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich