Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-14-2018, 08:37 PM

Default A positive trapping story on the news

https://globalnews.ca/video/4763351/...wans-fur-trade
Old 12-14-2018, 09:02 PM

Thanks for sharing... glad to see you in some video again and it's nice to see some positive stuff out there or to hear the trappers side.

Now the question is when are you going to be putting more stuff onto YouTube?!
Old 12-14-2018, 11:04 PM

Very well done, Thanks for sharing.
fred
Old 12-14-2018, 11:17 PM

nicely done!
Old 12-14-2018, 11:21 PM
Banned

Nice to see a positive report on trapping. That was a very good job of presenting our side of the story.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:34 AM

This is simply awesome!! You the man Ryan
Old 12-15-2018, 07:51 AM

That was a awsome news artical was great to see An was good to see Ryan An dam beaver since moving to porqupine plain we have been using dam beaver for all our trappin needs wife an my girls were there this week picking me up some more rams always love stopping in there
Old 12-15-2018, 08:30 AM
AO Sponsor

Sure glad it wasn't a set up this time, to portray the fur trade in a horrible, devastating manner as has happened to guys in the past. Playing with the media is a very dangerous game with the potential for catastrophic cost.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:36 PM

A well done clip.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-15-2018, 12:36 PM

well done
Old 12-15-2018, 03:33 PM

Like!!
Old 12-15-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Sure glad it wasn't a set up this time, to portray the fur trade in a horrible, devastating manner as has happened to guys in the past. Playing with the media is a very dangerous game with the potential for catastrophic cost.
You're very correct Marty. Global has done 3 different pieces with me so far and every one has shown trapping in a positive light. I was VERY hesitant at first but they seem to be genuine about presenting the truth about the industry.

I have turned down EVERY CBC interview request based simply on the fact that I know we will not get a fair shake.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:14 PM

That was very well presented and enjoyable.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:49 PM
Gone Hunting

Good work!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-16-2018, 12:34 AM
AO Sponsor

Let me back up tho... you did very well, the story was well done and the TV people are obviously friends to the trapping industry. So congrats! I enjoyed the presentation thoroughly!

But please... please before you continue going on your own with such public presentations involving media, could you please consult with some of the heavy hitters in the industry? This industry hangs on by a thread, we are likely one media event away from doom, perhaps not 100% ban on trapping, but the restrictions will come in, flying in depending upon the severity of the media event. By heavy hitters, I mean involve FIC people, who are professionals in this deptartment, backed by a legal team and much experience with both the public and media, and consult with other heavy hitters such as people from NAFA, even Canada Goose and carefully consider their advice?

Perhaps you did and had everyone's blessingand advice?
Old 12-16-2018, 02:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Let me back up tho... you did very well, the story was well done and the TV people are obviously friends to the trapping industry. So congrats! I enjoyed the presentation thoroughly!

But please... please before you continue going on your own with such public presentations involving media, could you please consult with some of the heavy hitters in the industry? This industry hangs on by a thread, we are likely one media event away from doom, perhaps not 100% ban on trapping, but the restrictions will come in, flying in depending upon the severity of the media event. By heavy hitters, I mean involve FIC people, who are professionals in this deptartment, backed by a legal team and much experience with both the public and media, and consult with other heavy hitters such as people from NAFA, even Canada Goose and carefully consider their advice?

Perhaps you did and had everyone's blessingand advice?
No it friggin doesn’t.

Would you care to share your facts to justify such bold statements? I feel sorry for people that fall for that stuff but after a decade or more of repeated fear mongering I understand how it becomes a “thing” with some people. Friggin ridiculous considering just the one fact that the government is paying Trappers to trap wolves.

Just stop with the baloney for goodness sakes.

I think that Ryan did a great job! The last that I heard he was the media rep for the STA and he’s actually doing what he volunteered to do.
It’s pretty bad when someone is gripped with fear from seeing a positive report about trapping. Way too much koolaide to drink IMO.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:47 AM

Well done Ryan but I think I know where Marty is coming from. It wasn't that many years ago that a young lady reporter went coyote hunting with an elderly gentleman and his hounds.Within months we had a lot fewer hound hunters with many more restictions that are with us to this day.I may be wrong but I for one feel that the less that joe public sees about our trapping activities the better off we are.Many people today don't like the sight of any dead animals.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:33 AM

Default A positive trapping

Nice clip. I do presentations to the local schools in our division about trapping and the fur trade. Might just add that to the presentation. Thank you.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:37 AM

I'd like to thank everyone for the nice words about the news article. Trapping needs to be promoted 1000 times better than it is now.

The one thing that I have noticed over the years, EVERY single time I promote the industry in any fashion, the only people that have a problem with it is fellow trappers. I can never understand that. Now here is an article about the modern trapping industry in Saskatchewan that shows all what we as trappers stand for and the only people upset are trappers. Just as a note, the article has been shared all over the internet and aired on television a couple times now and not one single negative response from anyone in the public including antis.

We as trappers have been "promoting" ourselves the exact same way since the late 1980s when society lashed out on fur. In 30 or so years, what has changed in our methods??? Nothing. We as an industry need to really get out there and start creating the headlines, not being the blurb at the end of the story rebutting the lies. Notice how PETA was the blurb in this article and the headline was trapping???? We need to continue on this path. Any time one takes a stand someone will be there to try to knock you down. That's normal and expected. It doesnt even fizz me.

The FIC and provincial trapping associations should be the ones creating these headlines. Instead its guys like me making the stories for the public to see. I like in theory what the FIC and associations stand for but they do not have a public voice. You can preach all you want in a closed room with no audience, it doesnt mean you're getting your word out.

I will never apologize or ask for permission to promote trapping. It's what I do and who I am. I may not be the best person for it, but I dont see any of our duly represented officials doing it. Thanks Ryan
Old 12-16-2018, 12:59 PM

Well said Ryan!! Great job
Old 12-16-2018, 04:42 PM

Thank you for everything you do for not only Saskatchewan trappers but all trappers ryan. You are well spoken and it was a good piece.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5911ryan View Post
I'd like to thank everyone for the nice words about the news article. Trapping needs to be promoted 1000 times better than it is now.

The one thing that I have noticed over the years, EVERY single time I promote the industry in any fashion, the only people that have a problem with it is fellow trappers. I can never understand that. Now here is an article about the modern trapping industry in Saskatchewan that shows all what we as trappers stand for and the only people upset are trappers. Just as a note, the article has been shared all over the internet and aired on television a couple times now and not one single negative response from anyone in the public including antis.

We as trappers have been "promoting" ourselves the exact same way since the late 1980s when society lashed out on fur. In 30 or so years, what has changed in our methods??? Nothing. We as an industry need to really get out there and start creating the headlines, not being the blurb at the end of the story rebutting the lies. Notice how PETA was the blurb in this article and the headline was trapping???? We need to continue on this path. Any time one takes a stand someone will be there to try to knock you down. That's normal and expected. It doesnt even fizz me.

The FIC and provincial trapping associations should be the ones creating these headlines. Instead its guys like me making the stories for the public to see. I like in theory what the FIC and associations stand for but they do not have a public voice. You can preach all you want in a closed room with no audience, it doesnt mean you're getting your word out.

I will never apologize or ask for permission to promote trapping. It's what I do and who I am. I may not be the best person for it, but I dont see any of our duly represented officials doing it. Thanks Ryan
Good work Sir !!!

I think you did a hell of a job, and like you just said we have to stop being afraid of our shadows and put our industry out constantly in a positive manner for the public.
The anti population is minuscule, they just talk really loud. It’s the other 90% of the population we need to see what we do as a positive thing that’s done responsibly.

Keep up the good fight !
Old 12-17-2018, 08:12 AM

Great job Ryan!! Keep up the amazing work you are doing to promote trapping on behalf of all trappers in the industry. As said by others, I admire that fact that you are actually PUBLICALLY standing up for trappers and our industry. Unfortunately, there are those that try to diminish what you are doing by stating that you didn't involve the right "stakeholders". However, if these stakeholders actually got off their asses and did their job to publically promote our industry instead of having discussions behind closed doors then it would fall less upon you to do it for them. Even here in Alberta I have yet to see the ATA ever publically promote trapping with any real effort. It's simple, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. It's time we started squeaking more and publically put the real truth out there regarding trapping instead of speaking in hushed tones, behind the scenes trying to defend ourselves from the falsities that PETA and others are publically stating. Our associations would rather remain silent than publically confront the lack of correct information provided to the public as they don't want to play that game. Well, as long as the false information keeps getting to the public, the popular vote will eventually win and we know where that will lead our industry to! Forget the naysayers Ryan, keep doing what you're doing on behalf of us proud trappers! Way to go!
Old 12-17-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke hunter View Post
Great job Ryan!! Keep up the amazing work you are doing to promote trapping on behalf of all trappers in the industry. As said by others, I admire that fact that you are actually PUBLICALLY standing up for trappers and our industry. Unfortunately, there are those that try to diminish what you are doing by stating that you didn't involve the right "stakeholders". However, if these stakeholders actually got off their asses and did their job to publically promote our industry instead of having discussions behind closed doors then it would fall less upon you to do it for them. Even here in Alberta I have yet to see the ATA ever publically promote trapping with any real effort. It's simple, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. It's time we started squeaking more and publically put the real truth out there regarding trapping instead of speaking in hushed tones, behind the scenes trying to defend ourselves from the falsities that PETA and others are publically stating. Our associations would rather remain silent than publically confront the lack of correct information provided to the public as they don't want to play that game. Well, as long as the false information keeps getting to the public, the popular vote will eventually win and we know where that will lead our industry to! Forget the naysayers Ryan, keep doing what you're doing on behalf of us proud trappers! Way to go!

Definitely!!!
Old 12-17-2018, 09:45 AM
Gone Hunting

talking to the media is always risky.

But I for one would rather take that risk then do nothing.

It's been nearly thirty years since the war on trapping went mainstream.
Yet there has been little from tapping organizations to counter the steam of lies coming from the anti trapping organizations.

There have been some efforts to defend trapping but no where near enough.
A quick google search turns up page after page of anti trapping rhetoric and only the occasional return that is pro trapping.
That needs to change.

If the trapping organizations won't do it individual trappers must.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-17-2018, 10:14 AM

I must admit I have never seen any defence of trapping from "the Heavy Hitters". This could be why the "industry hangs by a thread"

Ryan has done a first class job of promoting the industry. His pointing out that there is 300 years of science behind trappers is an argument that is hard to dispute. His avoidance of the CBC show he knows what he is doing. More individuals need to step up to the plate.

Well done Ryan!!!