Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
I've also found Superstore to be the best prices but with a limited selection. Wind and Beyond has an awesome selection but their prices are ridiculous at best.
Yes, their prices tend to be on the higher side, but if you buy 3+ bottles at a time they knock off 10% which brings them in line with most retailers like Safeway and Liqour Depot...but Superstore and costco are usually best. Solo is another one that has good prices and selection, watch for their flyers. I picked up some Bowmore Darkest there a while back that was $20 less than anywhere else.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-08-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
I can add Keg and Cork as well as Sherbrook in Edmonton. Chateau Louis is my choice because it's owned by fellow Ukrainians.
Sherbrooke and Chateau are both great stops as they're only 5 minutes from each other. Haven't made it up that way in a year or so but as I recall Chateau seemed to have the better selection, while Sherbrooke was usually good for a special surprise or two that I hadn't sen elsewhere.

Chateau also used to keep a few bottles opened for tasting as I recall. You had to ask, but it was there. Found a couple of purchases that way, just asking what different options they had for sampling when I couldn't make up my mind.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:18 PM

Heads up - Liquor Depot friends and family event is offering 25% off today only on most non-sale items. I picked up a bottle of my favorite Balvenie 14 yr Caribbean Cask for $75, along with a bunch of other "Christmas cheer".
Old 12-11-2018, 02:31 PM

I have half a bottle of Ben Riach 1998 Limited Release that I have been trying to force myself to enjoy but I just do not like it. I can't even put my finger on why.... its just so... all over the place (that's my uneducated review of the stuff)
Anyway if someone has a part bottle of anything mildly or medium peated that they don't like, maybe we can work out a swap.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:03 PM

I've had good and bad luck with Ben Raich myself. Mostly good, but I got one bottle that had a very unpleasant sulfur tast to it, subtle but ruined everything. Comes from using a cheap or bad cask for aging...I wonder if that's the case with yours? Do you smell matchbox?

I'm off early and getting in shape for the Oilers/Avs game, so opened up the Glendronach 1994 Cask 5959... Tawney Port again. Heavenly...just perfect. Sherry finish seems to get all the raves, but I always seem to prefer Port...so lovely!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-11-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I've had good and bad luck with Ben Raich myself. Mostly good, but I got one bottle that had a very unpleasant sulfur tast to it, subtle but ruined everything. Comes from using a cheap or bad cask for aging...I wonder if that's the case with yours? Do you smell matchbox?

I'm off early and getting in shape for the Oilers/Avs game, so opened up the Glendronach 1994 Cask 5959... Tawney Port again. Heavenly...just perfect. Sherry finish seems to get all the raves, but I always seem to prefer Port...so lovely!
Enjoy the Glendronach. I've only had the Glendronach 12 but it's in my top 3. I hope yours helps drown the sorrow of the Oiler's losing again LOL
Old 12-11-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
Enjoy the Glendronach. I've only had the Glendronach 12 but it's in my top 3. I hope yours helps drown the sorrow of the Oiler's losing again LOL
Yes, I will experience great sorrow if the Oilers lose...

I really like the Glendronach offerings in general, the 12 year is a fine dram. If you want to gift yourself for Christmas, the 21 year Parliament is a Sherry Bomb! I think it's a bargain at the price point.

I did a typo on the cask 5959, it is from 1995, was bottled at 18 years and it's my favorite ever, finished in tawney Port pipes...I have 5 left. They will last a little while. Then I will cry

Old 12-11-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:

I just went and poured enough to wet my tongue... no sulphur on the nose but yes, now that I am told what it is... sulphur, minerals...granite. I think the 54.9% ABV exaggerates it. I don’t find it any better with water.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:46 PM

I went to my first ever scotch tasting tonight at Vines in Edmonton. We tasted 6 drams all from the Arran distillery. I didn’t find one that I had to have but what a great experience. For $40 and a 10% discount on anything distilled by Arran bought tonight it’s tough to go wrong. Can’t wait for the next one.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:52 PM

Yep, sulfur ruins whisky.

As for Arran, they put out some nice malts. I still have the tail end of a bottle of an Amarone wine finish (very pale peach color, tasty), and a bottle of the Exciseman , #3 in their Smuggler's Series...nice whisky. I put one away for 'some day' as well.

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/...-the-exciseman

Old 12-11-2018, 11:30 PM

Tomorrow I get 20% off at one of the liquor stores I go to so I'm going to buy myself something a bit pricier than the 15 pack I usually get. My experience in scotch is a half of a bottle of johnny Walker black label I have left in the booze cupboard. Tomorrow I'll zip through this thread and hopefully see something you guys have been recommending.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:59 AM

Best place to start imo, the Aberlour 10 year or the Glenmorangie....both a very decent intro whisky. JW is not your friend.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:12 AM

Great I'll see if I can spot one of those. Yes I realised that lol. I don't mind shots but for something to sip and enjoy it wasn't really doing it.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:19 AM

Glenmorangie was my first about a year and half ago. I’ve tried about 40 different Scotches since then ( we went to Scotland for 2 weeks in May ). I’d suggest Aberlour 10 or 12 for a starter.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:01 PM

I didn't see any of the brands that were being mentioned. I ended up getting a 12 year bottle of royal brackla. I think they thought I was a shoplifter because I was staring at the selection for so long lol.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:28 PM
Banned

Another Duncan Taylor offering which I picked up. The Speyside Scotches sure make an excellent desert!

Sorry for the picture resolution.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:31 PM

Yes they do! I've been loving that Glendronach 1995 Tawney Port this week...I found three bottles I'd put away, so actually had 8... I'm such a pig!

If you find something limited that you really love...buy a case. Don't tell the wife.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-13-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:51 PM
Banned

A bit of the Dark Side for me tonight! (Being a rice malt and all) The whisky is very smooth. It's like Dalwhinnie with a bit of sherry cask.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:25 AM
AO Sponsor

I was given a bottle of this Craigellachie 13 as a gift last weekend. It was something I can't say was ever on my radar but I must say it just might end up a staple in my cabinet! This definitely isn't your father's Speyside! Still very much a dessert like scotch with incredible amounts of fruit on the nose and palette but with a nice little smokey kick in the middle! A very thick and chewy dram compared to the usual Speysides. I am really quite pleased! You have to give it a try...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg craigellachie-13-year-old-whisky.jpg (15.3 KB, 17 views)
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-15-2018, 10:27 AM

I had a friend who said, not me, that if it did not start with the word GLEN, and he was scotch over here on a visit, it was not TRUE single malt scotch. I immediately asked what about Highland Park, or Jura, those were the two I was familiar with. And he repeated his claim. So my question is, what gives?
Old 12-15-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
I had a friend who said, not me, that if it did not start with the word GLEN, and he was scotch over here on a visit, it was not TRUE single malt scotch. I immediately asked what about Highland Park, or Jura, those were the two I was familiar with. And he repeated his claim. So my question is, what gives?
Your friend doesn't know what he is talking about (with all due respect. Being from Scotland doesn't automatically make you an expert on whisky, any more than being Canadian makes you an expert on maple syrup). The only criteria for 'true scotch' is that it is distilled in Scotland and aged in oak casks for a minimum of three years. All 'glen' means is 'valley' in Gaelic. Enjoy all the non-glen single malt whisky you can.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_malt_Scotch

Bob, I've actually never tried the Craigellachie either, will go find a bottle, it sounds delightful! Thanks for posting that up, alittle smokey speyside sounds perfect!

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-15-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:03 PM

Personally I’ve always thought that if it starts with Glen then it’s not so much my cup of tea or dram of whiskey I guess. That’s just my taste.

TC, the Craigellachie is very nice. Do go pick one up!
Old 12-16-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Personally I’ve always thought that if it starts with Glen then it’s not so much my cup of tea or dram of whiskey I guess. That’s just my taste.

TC, the Craigellachie is very nice. Do go pick one up!
Not all 'Glens' are mediocre, some are fabulous!

I actually did a quick stop at Safeways on my way home to try and find the Craigellachie, but no dice, so still drinking the Glendronach '95 to warm up! But will look around this week. Now I MUST get one!

But just look at that color!! 18 years old, finished in Tawny Port Cask...so good. And 56.1% so great warming properties, served neat of course. I'm going to run out some day.*sigh*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181216_154704.jpg (39.6 KB, 19 views)

Old 12-16-2018, 05:28 PM

Talking

Sales on Turpentine was falling fast......so, "they" came up with a new marketing idea......lets call it Scotch, and say "it is an acquired taste" !

However, it can still be used for cleaning paint brushes !
Old 12-16-2018, 05:45 PM

From a guy who drives cars best known for bursting into flames when rear ended...I just can't take your opinion on scotch very seriously. But generally I think you are totally ok.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:25 AM

Talking

Quote:
From a guy who drives cars best known for bursting into flames when rear ended...I just can't take your opinion on scotch very seriously. But generally I think you are totally ok.

FYI ... my first car was a 72 Pinto. Drove it home , pulled the drive line & did the V8 swap.
Was going to a speed shop in Oshawa Ont. for a new cam. Stopped behind a full sized Buick. A full sized Meteor hit me from behind, pushing me into the Buick. Shortened the Pinto 3'.
Didn't blow up !

I promptly built a second ...on #4 now (BOSS 302). #5 is on the rotisserie. #6 waiting it's turn in the pole barn....
Old 12-17-2018, 07:37 AM

I am working in Dallas until the 21st. Can anyone recommend a nice bottle for $100 usd or less that I would not be able to find in Canada? Scotch or otherwise...
I keep seeing a lot of raving about Mid Winters Night Dram on Reddit so it's definitely on my hit list, though I think it'll be way over my $ limit.

Cheers
Old 12-17-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Not all 'Glens' are mediocre, some are fabulous!

I actually did a quick stop at Safeways on my way home to try and find the Craigellachie, but no dice, so still drinking the Glendronach '95 to warm up! But will look around this week. Now I MUST get one!

But just look at that color!! 18 years old, finished in Tawny Port Cask...so good. And 56.1% so great warming properties, served neat of course. I'm going to run out some day.*sigh*
You make a good point, very nice color. It's hard to beat something that's finished in port cask!
Old 12-18-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Yes they do! I've been loving that Glendronach 1995 Tawney Port this week...I found three bottles I'd put away, so actually had 8... I'm such a pig!

If you find something limited that you really love...buy a case. Don't tell the wife.
I'm really new to this game, but having lots of fun with it. Anyway, I tried a Glendronach 12 at a pub I drop into. The young lady bartender suggested it was a good one. Never would have thought she'd be a whisky drinker. Anyway I went looking for a bottle, found two, but decided to look around a bit to check prices. Another store said they had it, but couldn't find it on the shelf. Checked the computer and said they were not getting any shipments. Went to Willow Park Liquor store and they told me they hadn't received a shipment for eight months. Some kind of legal thing with the licensed distributor. Had no idea when they would get more. Went and bought the two bottles I found. Gotta admit they were pretty dusty.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
I'm really new to this game, but having lots of fun with it. Anyway, I tried a Glendronach 12 at a pub I drop into. The young lady bartender suggested it was a good one. Never would have thought she'd be a whisky drinker. Anyway I went looking for a bottle, found two, but decided to look around a bit to check prices. Another store said they had it, but couldn't find it on the shelf. Checked the computer and said they were not getting any shipments. Went to Willow Park Liquor store and they told me they hadn't received a shipment for eight months. Some kind of legal thing with the licensed distributor. Had no idea when they would get more. Went and bought the two bottles I found. Gotta admit they were pretty dusty.
Oh, this is not a game zabbo....Not. A. Game.

Glad you are learning to enjoy the Water of Life, as the old Gaelic termed whisky. The Glendronach 12 is actually a staple and usually around, you will be able to find it in the future for sure. One of those really good go-to's in the whisky cabinet. Along with the Aberlour 10/12, Highland Park 12, Balvenie Doublewood....Enjoy them all, get bold and branch out into the Islays for lots of smoke, peat and brine (Bowmore, Lagavullin, Laphroaig, Ardbeg)....and to all my friends on this excellent forum...I want to wish you all....

MERRY CHRISTMAS, AND ALL THE BEST THAT THE GOOD LORD CAN GIVE YOU IN THE NEW YEAR!! CHEERS, BE BLESSED!