View Poll Results: What is your Favourite Fried Chicken
Mary Brown 42 22.11%
KFC 48 25.26%
Popeye 36 18.95%
A & W 7 3.68%
Other 57 30.00%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2018, 09:26 AM

Not fast food, but the fried chicken at the Mercer tavern in downtown Edmonton by the arena is world class. I've had it several times and it's really worth ordering. They serve a decent potato salad with it too.

We make a lot at home, usually baking it instead of frying. Homade coating or sometimes good ol shake and bake...shake...and, bake.

Every once in a while, gotta hit KFC...once or twice a year.
I'm sure I've tried Mary Brown's...I'll have to give it another shot.

Way back, I used to stop often for fuel at Dafoe Saskatchewan on 16 and always grabbed a 3 piece from the gas station there. It wasn't the best in the world, sometimes it was great, sometimes awful lol, but it was part of my routine and I always looked forward to that chicken on the 15 hr drive.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:50 AM

Best damned recipe I’ve found!

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...chicken-358138

There are no absolutes
Old 12-15-2018, 10:05 AM

My mother's fried chicken is my favorite stovetop with cast iron fryer the spices she put in the batter good stufftoo bad she doesn't do it any more . Good memories though.

With that being said I stopped at a Publix supermarket in the states I thought their Fried Chicken was pretty darn good.

Last edited by last minute; 12-15-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have never seen one of their stores in Canad, only the States. Where are you finding these here in Alberta? Thanks.
Exactly
Old 12-15-2018, 10:23 AM

I had Mary Brown's once and thought it was overpriced trash. Maybe I got a bad batch.

There's a place in central Edmonton called "Ralph's Convenience Store", and they have no joke some of the best fried chicken I've ever eaten.

Popyes isn't bad either.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I had Mary Brown's once and thought it was overpriced trash. Maybe I got a bad batch.
Maybe not, I got 4 servings of bad batches, lol.

I gave MB's a good honest try 5 times, first time was 100% fantastic!!
2nd-4th time, nicely done on the outside, AWFUL slimy, wet, fatty inside, slightly under cooked also.
5th (and final time), bit into the chicken and the entire outside
skin just slid off in one big flappy motion. All 6 pieces were much the same, and I was done forever with MB's..
The dog will miss it I'm sure as he got most of the last 4 visits from there.

To me, MB's Is better than 'a bad KFC' by about 5-10%, just to wet & slimy inside.

I didn't vote above because I don't think anyone knows how to make chicken like KFC used to in the 80's.
I am fixing to try out sns2's 107 125st though.

Last edited by tri777; 12-15-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Maybe not, I got 4 servings of bad batches, lol.

I gave MB's a good honest try 5 times, first time was 100% fantastic!!
2nd-4th time, nicely done on the outside, AWFUL slimy, wet, fatty inside, slightly under cooked also.
5th (and final time), bit into the chicken and the entire outside
skin just slid off in one big flappy motion. All 6 pieces were much the same, and I was done forever with MB's..
The dog will miss it I'm sure as he got most of the last 4 visits from there.

To me, MB's Is better than 'a bad KFC' by about 5-10%, just to wet & slimy inside.

I didn't vote above because I don't think anyone knows how to make chicken like KFC used to in the 80's.
I am fixing to try out sns2's 107 125st though.
Just like KFC, there is a BIG difference in the various locations. The KFC in south St Albert is actually pretty good, rest of the KFCs I tried in Edm and area, terrible. MB in St. Albert and the one on 127 ST and 163 Ave are both very good as is the one just west of 97 st at 153 ave, the MB in Spruce grove is pretty bad.

Chicken on the Way - 44 Chicken where are you - was as famous as 426-5050 call the Lydo - back in the 70s and 80s. Be interesting to try them now they have moved back into Edmonton.

Popeye's in Griesbaugh is very good, never tried any other locations in Edm. I too am going to try SNS2's suggestion the very next time I am in that area.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:28 PM

Best Fried chicken is Olive Chicken on 10th ave sw Calgary
Any Korean Fried chicken places rock . Do yourself a favour and look one up
Old 12-15-2018, 02:28 PM

It's funny how the same chain in the same town has the same product yet completely different. The 711 south of Walmart onn75th has wonderful chicken, the east one on 16 is rancid. Huge difference, fatty, no meat, tooth breaking batter. How they can screw something up so bad that is so simple is beyond me.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-15-2018, 03:18 PM

Hard to beat Los Pollos Hermanos.... lol
Old 12-15-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Hard to beat Los Pollos Hermanos.... lol
Funny enough, this fictional restaurant from Breaking Bad, has now opened up in a few locations. Guess the name was just too good to pass up with all the free advertising. Didn't stop in and try the food though.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-15-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Funny enough, this fictional restaurant from Breaking Bad, has now opened up in a few locations.. Guess the name was just to good to pass up with all the free advertising. Didn't stop in and try the food though.
Dang I was hoping it would take a bit longer for someone to get the reference...
Old 12-15-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Dang I was hoping it would take a bit longer for someone to get the reference...
Shoot, SORRRRRRYYYY about that.Nearly photogenic memory isn't always a good thing.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-15-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:18 PM

Although not nearly as good as it was in the 70's and 80's my vote still goes to KFC.
I first tried Mary Browns in NFLD while on vacation and was a bit disappointed. I'd heard it raved about for years and expected better.
I've since tried it in Edmonton a couple of times and while I thought it was OK, I found it way overpriced. Mary Brown does have some fantastic potato wedges though!
Popeye's to me and my wife was God awful. Only tried it once and that was more than enough.

I do like A&W fried chicken but I can still taste it the next day after eating it.

I still have to try Chicken on the way. The one in the west end closed down as fast as it opened.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Mary Brown's is best that is available here. KFC is absolutely a gut bomb, you couldn't pay me to ever eat there again. A&W is marginally better.

I used to eat at Church's Chicken when I lived near Kansas City about a thousand years ago, and apparently they have them in Canada now. If they ever open one in Alberta, I must go. So must you. Absolutely superb.

https://www.churchs.com/menu.php
I'm positive we used to have Church's when I was a kid in the '90s. Used to be on 51 Ave and 97 St in Edmonton next to Harvey's in what is now Tofu House (I think). My dad used to refuse to eat any other fried chicken. Except Toonie Tuesday. He was too cheap to ignore Toonie Tuesday

Back on topic though, I haven't eaten KFC chicken since Popeye's opened up.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I have never seen one of their stores in Canad, only the States. Where are you finding these here in Alberta? Thanks.
when we are in the states

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 12-15-2018, 11:31 PM

The best I ever had was Cheff Otto mDaniels chicken, when I worked with him.
Fantastic chicken it was. I’d be willing to bet that as lot of type chicken that folks think is so good is actually frozen chicken tossed in the oven or fryer
Old 12-16-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
The best I ever had was Cheff Otto mDaniels chicken, when I worked with him.
Fantastic chicken it was. I’d be willing to bet that as lot of type chicken that folks think is so good is actually frozen chicken tossed in the oven or fryer
Would like to try his chicken. What is the name of the restaurant and what town is it in. Thanks.

I am blown away by how many votes KFC has received. Must be at least a few KFCs still making real good chicken, like Cold Lake.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:03 AM

New Orleans

I was in no shape to remember anything, but I remember the chicken. It was the best. No idea where it was. The outside was hard crispy and had flavour
Old 12-16-2018, 11:21 AM

KFC varies greatly by location the best I've had was in Yuma huge pieces, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes, biscuits with honey and tasty gravy the worst is in Lloyd the sea gulls won't eat it.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:44 AM

Back in the day in Winnipeg. My family ate there once a month for 25 years starting in 1960. Like going to church and listening to gospel, but with Fried Chicken and fritters

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...291186151.html
http://winnipegdowntownplaces.blogsp...ken-shack.html
Old 12-16-2018, 12:07 PM

Was working up at Fort Mac and decided to try Mary Browns up in Gregoire due to all the hype. Camp food was getting old. If they are all like that I will pass. I like my food hot, not armpit warm. I would sooner wait a little while and have fresh. Camp food was better.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:36 PM

Default Stoopid thread

After reading the thread, last evening, I was craving the "coveted" fried chicken. I just got home from the newly opened Popeye's in my neighbourhood. I ordered the spicy 3 piece meal, the fries were amazing, but the chicken was bland and somewhat lacklustre . KFC's spice is much better, but Popeye's chicken were bigger pieces.
Tomorrow I hit Mary Brown's, if that doesn't quench my craving then tomorrow night I will YouTube my own chicken.
Jh
Old 12-16-2018, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Henry View Post
After reading the thread, last evening, I was craving the "coveted" fried chicken. I just got home from the newly opened Popeye's in my neighbourhood. I ordered the spicy 3 piece meal, the fries were amazing, but the chicken was bland and somewhat lacklustre . KFC's spice is much better, but Popeye's chicken were bigger pieces.
Tomorrow I hit Mary Brown's, if that doesn't quench my craving then tomorrow night I will YouTube my own chicken.
Jh
I really like the one on 17AVE. Personally, I am glad I don't have a Popeyes anywhere close to me down here in the south. I would eat it way too much.

Cant stand KFC in the last 30 years. They changed something and its horrible now.

I haven't had Mary Browns.
Not a fan of Chicken on the way.

I forgot about A and W. That used to be good. The stuff they sell at Safeway is good if it get it at the right time (FRESH and HOT).
Old 12-16-2018, 01:23 PM

Think its been said. Northern Chicken in edmonton. Unreal. They make thier own hot sauce that is the absolute best. Roasted brussel sprout or asparagus (depending on season) salad. So good. Decent cocktails, cheap beers, and all ages. 124 st 107avr. Across the street from there was daravara. New name now? Also great food.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:50 PM

One comment on fired chicken in general. Now a days it can sit on a warming rack for a long time. I always tell them I want fresh cooked and I will wait or at minimum I want the chicken re-dunked in the hot oil. It makes a huge difference to the crispiness of the chicken. If they won't do it I go elsewhere.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-16-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
One comment on fired chicken in general. No a days it can sit on a warming rack for a long time. I always tell them I want fresh cooked and I will wait or at minimum I want the chicken re-dunked in the hot oil. It makes a huge difference to the crispiness of the chicken. If they won't do it I go elsewhere.
Exc !
Thanks for that little piece of knowledge,
I have never in my life requested this "I want fresh" thing,
locked to memory now!

I just returned home about 30mins ago from 7-11 with
a 10piece wing meal for $10, threw it in the oven for
8min on 350F, pretty dam good & MUCH better than MB's 9pce WetNswamp chicken!
Old 12-16-2018, 05:31 PM

I chose other. I love breading boneless chicken breasts and throwing them in the good ole turkey deep fryer. Fun to make and sooo tasty!
Old 12-16-2018, 08:23 PM

Fox creek freson brothers grocery store. I got real touchy guts when it comes to deep fried anything but just about lived on their chicken for a whole winter. Pretty dry and crunchy and the coating isnt spiced up much. Just salt and pepper. Priced fair and sits in the guts nice when workin hard all day. Nice ladies working there that box it up and get you on your way in no time.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:39 AM

Mary Browns.