Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-23-2005, 02:40 PM
Dylan

Default Any info on Coyote - Bow hunting

Does anyone know if it's real difficult to take coyote with a bow? Also, if so, are there any places not too far from Edmonton that would offer a decent opprotunity (like an hour or two away). I'm looking either for crown land, or for land owners who are friendly to this kind of stuff. Also, what do you folks do with the coyotes? I'm real new to this so it's going to see like a junior question but I'm sure they're not much for eating. What about the fur? Is is of any use? Any tips/advice are useful...... still trying to learn! Thanks
Old 09-23-2005, 04:43 PM
re:coyote

Default re:coyote bowhunting

bowhunting any critter is tough and coyotes are extremly wary. They are allways watching for movement and can smell awsome. if your serious about it you will want to find brushy areas, with a good wind blowing into the wide open so they dont circle on you or if they do its to late. you need thick cover so the coyote wont be as wary. i asume you will be calling. decoys work awsome. some fluffy yarn on a string is good, scentlock probly good. expect to shoot fast and far. if he is at 20 yards and you draw he is gone instantly. you need to draw when he is at 45 yards and hold it for a good shot. Its fun i like the challange. i also like my .223 though
Old 09-23-2005, 07:46 PM
Dylan

Default Thanks

Thank you! Much appreciated
Old 09-30-2005, 05:52 AM
coyotes

Default coyotes

I've gotten coyotes to come within bow range by appealing to their ears. Many times I've sitting by a hay bale deer hunting during rifle season and seen a coyote crossing the field off in the distance, If Im bored and its a slow day I'll make a little noise like a mouse by pursing my lips together and taking little short breaths. Always stops em in their tracks, some dont bother to investigate, but I've had some come running and a few have gotten to within 20 feet of me before they realize something is wrong. If you were in a blind and had a bow you'd have no problem.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Prdtrgttr

Dylan, I am quite sure it's not going to be, "No problem". I love hunting Coyotes and find that Coyotes are among the keenest animals on the planet. Calling coyotes and killing them with a gun is hard enough, I'm not saying that it can't be done with a bow, cause it can; it's just that your success rates(meaning dead coyotes) are going to be really low. On a percentage level, I bet you'd score less than 5% of the time. I wish you nothing but luck Dylan, but be prepared to be foiled, and bring a gun along for those days, when you get frustrated. Good luck to you!
Old 11-21-2005, 08:26 PM
coyote and

Default coyote and bowhunting

I had the good fortune to shoot and kill a coyote crossbredd with a red wolf, here in the Finger Lakes region of NYS. They never stop moving. Her mate was in the vicinity and after tracking her for a long ways, I was impressed with her determination to elude capture. She was beautiful and I consider her to be a Life Time Achievement for this recreational bowhunter.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:26 PM
deadnutz

Default Re: coyote and bowhunting

I've managed to put an arrow into one from my treestand while deer hunting. The key is to draw while they're comming in hard at 100yrds or so......Gotta be able to hold that draw till they get close enough, and let go as soon as they stop. I've also brought them in but got busted either drawing, or raising the bow the other 99.999999% of the times......Those little *&%#$$ that have you figured out will parade back and forth at 55 yrds just to **** you off afterwards.....:rollin ...GoodLuck !!!
Old 12-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Well

Default Well

Well Dylan this is only my third year of hunting (14 yrs old) and i've been seeing Coyote while walking my dog and I have too been thinking about bow hunting coyote I think it will be quite easy watching the behavior of these coyotes because they only have been walking less then 20 feet from and thats when i let my dog loose on them ha ha well good luck i'm going to try hunting them too.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Tree Guy

Default Re: Well

Dylan, the absolut most important thing that you can learn about archery is the wind. It disrupts the animal's sense of smell and hearing! Work the wind into your face and it will save you thousands of dollars in "Scent-lock" and other lazy gadgets. Work hard, work quiet and work the wind.

PS I had a yote this November so close I could touch. He Had no idea.