Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-12-2013, 10:35 AM

Default Livingstone and old man update

Hit it this weekend, old man high and dirty and lower end of living stone the same. Had some good fishing on smaller tribs. Drove up the forestry road to the closed signs. Duh...then turned around.

Fish seemed less eager to please, not sure if that was conditions or fishing pressure.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:50 PM

I am thinking of trying living stone within the next few days and am hoping to bring my younger brother who is a beginner, would this be a good idea? Also any tips on a good spot to start wading would be awsome!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:57 PM

Good spot for a fly fishing beginner . Use small stimulators or any thing like that. Fishing seems better on sunny warm days. For a beginner try the racehorse and vicary. No need for long casts. Just be careful on your approach to the pools so you don't spook the fish.

Living tone might be lower and clearer when you go down. It has bigger cutties but you need to go very small when you see them surfacing and use small tippet material. Not as easy for a learner
Old 08-13-2013, 11:02 PM

The Livingstone is a great starter river. Definitely bring your brother! It's big enough to have some challenging wading (again, for a beginner), but small enough to not really be dangerous (lose youe footing and fall in? Stand up!). Big enough to cast properly, small enough to cast to the whole pool from a good spot.

It's just right for fishing with someone you like (presumably you like your brother) - most good spots can be fished by a couple of people at a time, though (Alberta) fishing etiquette prohibits it if you aren't "with" the other people.

When water conditions are good (they weren't last weekend buy may have cleared up by now), you can see lots of fish: cutthroats sitting where you'd expect them, whitefish hanging near the bottom, and the big bull trout cruising the pools.

Can you tell I like the Livingstone?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:10 PM

I would add the word "sometimes" to Bowness' comment about going small.

I've had great days there with a size 14 H&L variant. Other times, not so much. For me, half (well, a third) of the fun of cutthroat fishing is watching them rocket up through the water to eat a big bushy dry fly.

That assumes you're flyfishing. With spinning gear, a #2 or #3 Panther Martin or similar should get you into cutties, and a small Rapala should find the bulls.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:37 AM

Thanks a lot guys and ya I will bring him out continue to show him some new things, we were on the crow a few days ago and had some luck well I did haha this is why I am looking for a better place which hopefully will be the living stone, any recommendations on area to park or should I have no problems?
Old 08-14-2013, 12:44 AM

Also if anyone is worried about a secret spot, send me a private message it would be greatly appreciated as we are only catch and release and take pride in having fun but respecting the area we are on.

Last edited by Fly Fishing Teen; 08-14-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:39 AM

on the Livingstone just find a spot to pull off the trunk road (there are lots) and start fishing. i have not found a bad stretch yet on the Livingstone that hasn't produced big fish. anywhere along the lower stretch where the road comes down around the mountain and meets up with the Livingstone on up is very productive water. just pull off, walk down to the river and then the biggest decision is up or down river. you will not be disappointed at all.

good luck
Mike
Old 08-18-2013, 09:31 PM

Default Upper Oldman area

I am new to this forum and my interests revolve aroind scouting. I hope to do more than just troll around this forum. I used to go up to this area every summer as a kid and haven't been in years. I am taking a group of scouts up to camp hopefully above the Oldman Falls but have heard that the road is shut down due to a washout at km 9 can anyone confirm this? Thanks
Old 08-18-2013, 09:48 PM

Yes it is washed out at km 9.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 PM

Okay thanks I will plan my scout camp with that in mind